Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

hmmm fiat strada abarth

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2004, 12:02 AM
matlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmm fiat strada abarth

a thread i was just reading set off a couple of bells. i was offered one of these about four years ago for 1400 of your finest. the car was totally original in OK condition (not mint).

in an antiques roadshow stylee would it be worth a great deal more now?

just want to upset myself really sigh
Old 11 September 2004, 10:50 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Depends on the demand for them as a modern classic TBH. There won't be many around now in good condition, but there can't be that many people want one either.
If you look at the prices of the modern day Italian 'saloons', (excluding Integrale) the values only seem to go one way.

They are not really investment material - as its a labour of love to either keep them mint or make them mint, by which time you've spent more than you'll ever get back.
Bit like Alfasud Ti's really !
Old 11 September 2004, 11:12 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I disagree - 'reasonable' nick ones are selling for over 2.5k, on the odd ocasion they come up for sale. A good condition original would be worth more.
Old 11 September 2004, 12:15 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

found out the guys still has it, its just sat in his garage ever since, was thinking of getting a mk1 golf GTI as a project car, might have a look at this instead.

quite rare by the sounds of things, although that rarity is probable due to their penchant for rusting.

defo one to have a think about.
Old 11 September 2004, 12:51 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Is it the 105 or 130. If its the 105 I wouldn't bother but the 130 would be nice is show condition.
Old 11 September 2004, 12:54 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

ohh 130tc sir ,suits you sir
had a dog eared one about 8 years ago
twin cam ,twin carb, twice the fun
highly recommended along with waxoyl
mine was a bit thirsty tho'
richie
Old 11 September 2004, 01:05 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

its the 130 TC, before i decide what to do i'm gonna see if i can find an owners club or somesuch to get some info.

google here i come

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2004, 01:15 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

mate had one years back.good fun car
Old 11 September 2004, 01:18 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

http://www.carsfromitaly.com/fiat/strada.html

richie
Old 11 September 2004, 02:53 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I had two of these cars at the same time. They can go for far less but good ones are rare. Superb cars and I can honestly say a much better drivers car than a 205, Golf or nealry anything else. Midrange pnuch is great espeically with the twin 45 conversion. YOu'll need to bin the standard carb adapter plates made from rubber as these nearly always split . Guy Croft does a much better conversion plate but its not cheap. The engines are very very tought but do be warned the ZF gearbox is these can be prone to selecting two gears at the same time and going pop. Always try and have a spare as new ones if they are still available are very dear. One of mine had a new box fitted and a bill for £2800 !!!

If you get one you should buy a book called Fiat and Lancia Twin Cams by Brian Long as its very informative.

Handling is exellent despite having a leaf sprung rear but check the condition of the rear shock and bump stops.

You will not a find a better set opf seat in any road car either. The Recaros in the 130TC are insame but very comfy but no good is you are a heavilly built.

I've pretty much sold all of my spares now and only a few weeks ago sold two new coils on ebay.

If you buy one look after it and you will love it. Later series two cars have better rust protection.

Early cars have grilles where the ribs go right two the edge and series two cars have a smooth section around the lights. Also the s2 interior is black and they have smoother Cromodora alloys with the S1 cars have a Pirelli design wide 4 spoke alloy wheel.

If you need any more help do ask. I'm a bit rusty on these cars but can certianly give you some pointer on where to check for rust and other things

AllanB
Old 11 September 2004, 03:21 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

cheers richie/allanb. havent spoken to him again (dont want to seem keen just yet) but from memory it has a black interior and the alloys definitely arent four spoke (they kinda reminded me of the turbine alloys off the clio 16v.

from a quick search about the t'internet it seems spares are pretty rare, i guess it will be a toy/project, so not too many miles per year.

for those who have driven them, is it enough of a different drive from my current clio 182?

not sure if it will be a different enough drive to warrant it as a weekend car.
Old 11 September 2004, 04:03 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by matlow
cheers richie/allanb. havent spoken to him again (dont want to seem keen just yet) but from memory it has a black interior and the alloys definitely arent four spoke (they kinda reminded me of the turbine alloys off the clio 16v.

from a quick search about the t'internet it seems spares are pretty rare, i guess it will be a toy/project, so not too many miles per year.

for those who have driven them, is it enough of a different drive from my current clio 182?

not sure if it will be a different enough drive to warrant it as a weekend car.
I don't think you'll appear too keen after four years!
Old 11 September 2004, 04:39 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^i acutally never thought about it like that lol
Old 11 September 2004, 08:41 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Rare ??? There was one in my garage the last time I looked. If anyone has any bits, please PM me.

D
Old 11 September 2004, 09:13 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine used to repair these for accidents back in the day. Apparently no two were ever the same colour, should you need to do much body work could prove to be pain in the ****.
My parents owned a bog standard one for 2 years it started rusting before the end of year one.
Old 13 September 2004, 11:56 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

One of the best drivers cars made. YOu will not be disappointed.

I've got a great article at home where they stick the 130TC against a golf and 205 GTi and the 130TC wins hands down. The writer was amazed and was totally unprepared for what a good car it was. Said it was the only one that felt special and the handling was the best and only the brakes came in for any criticism saying they felt a little wooden.

Parts are not the easiset to get thats the main downside. Engines are great and designed by Lampredi the guy who did many of the Ferrari V8s so its almost half a Ferrari v8 there. Its great to have an engine with so much torque too !

AllanB
Old 13 September 2004, 12:19 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Any 130tc bits left Allan ?

D
Old 13 September 2004, 12:29 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

i've moved into indecisive mode now. think i'll have a gander at the car and see what state its in now. (it cant have rusted that much being kept garaged).

see what he's looking at for it (just take it i need the space is what i'm hoping for).

Cheers for the info gents, i'll let you know how i get on (i'll grab some pics)
Old 13 September 2004, 01:37 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Dunk , pretty much all gone now. Sold a couple of coils on ebay and the modified cylinderhead went to t guy here about 18 month ago. Have a horrible feeling I chucked out some of those glovebox inspection lights and both worked !

Go have a look at the car and drive it. Oh they can be a little tricky to start but you will get used to it. Warm it up nicely then let rip. I'm sure that induction roar and midrange punch will entice you !

AllanB
Old 13 September 2004, 03:02 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllanB
modified cylinderhead went to t guy here about 18 month ago
AllanB
Twas me !

Matlow,
There are two in Autoitalia this month £900 for a project & £2.1k for a goodie.

D
Old 14 September 2004, 07:51 AM
matlow
Scooby Regular

got an idea of price from him £500 (reckon i can shift him on this as he wants rid of it). Not sure what that says about the state of it now but will get some pics when i have a gander this weekend.

cheers allan b, at least that gives me some idea of market value.