Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The other half and cars :(

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2004, 11:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The other half and cars :(

Right, i'm completely hammered now - been out for a meal to the local Italian with the wife, had a great evening etc.

Went to the local pub for a pint, and sat outside drinking having a laugh when the conversation got onto cars.

I only do 3k miles a year and love my Pugs so I have a 205 Mi16 which is currently in need of a new engine, and a mint 405 Mi16 which is being used until the 205 is fixed. This is great for me, 2 of the best ever drivers cars for me to use that dont cost the earth and (hopefully) wont get nicked.

Financially I can afford to buy (cash) and run a P1 or Evo 6, but we are looking for a new house, and I dont fancy 1 until we have a garage, if I fancy one at all - I would rather put the money into the new house. The Pugs give me much driving pleasure, are fully paid for and cost £600 a year to insure them both - I honestly dont care about what image it portrays!!

However........we've just got into the biggest argument EVER about her being embarassed about me driving old retro motors and I am stumped!! In the 6 years we've been together she has never been interested in cars, and now she seems to put a persons worth down to what car they drive!!

Now to most men this would be heaven - I just told her I would go and spend £18k on a P1 tomorrow to which she replied "fine, its better than those old bangers you have"!!

Bloody women, just when they are fine they go mental!!

So, am I wrong enjoying my classics and should I buy a newer car which she reckons "would match my business image" or should I be happy and tell her to bugger off as they are mine

She has a Focus which I also look after, and which is the "family" car so to speak (there's only 2 of us)

PS I am pissed - its taken hours to go through this and check the spelling etc

PPS will probably regret this post tomorrow, but i'm only human

##### EDIT ######

PPPS she is also very drunk, so will be apologising tomorrow, but the home truths always come out when shes had a few

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 04 September 2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04 September 2004, 11:52 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

.. demand one BJ a day for credits against a new BMW 330 CI.. may take a few months
Old 04 September 2004, 11:54 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Change the wife...
Old 04 September 2004, 11:58 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

It's just an arguement, and when alcohol is involved things get said that are not meant... If she's looking for an "exec" image what about proposing an M5

I assume you've told her about holding back on the P1 or Evo in order to save for the house? If she doesn't respect that (given you are an enthusiast) then there isn't much give and take involved - IMO..

Good luck in sorting it out
Old 05 September 2004, 12:20 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

May just go and buy an STi or P1 tomorrow just to annoy her

Its probs just alcohol as said, we tend to have a big-ish do every few months once pissed

Shes gone off to bed sulking now so i'm off on the Xbox/PS2 and a few more beers, though need to be on it tomorrow - final stage in prepping the 205 Mi16 rebuild garage
Old 05 September 2004, 08:29 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

DW - you summed it up yourself. You said the other half wasn't interested in what cars you drive. From that you can take it that she really isn't into cars that much. Therefore she'd probably be quite happy with a nice BM sitting outside the house. Nothing wrong with that, except that it is very difficult to explain and / or justify driving 'different' cars to someone who has less petrol running through their veins than you do (at the moment it sounds like you've both got too much alcohol running through your veins ).
Old 05 September 2004, 10:28 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Get a nice looking 316 and sit it outside to keep her happy, she won't be any the wiser

Stick to your guns, I mean ffs if my missu ssaid "god I hate you driving that why can't you go out and buy a better car" I'd be out that door before you could say "one impreza to go please".

Sadly she doesn't say this, she says "we need to save for a house"

Wanna swap?

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2004, 03:56 PM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
Change the wife...
im in agreement. i bet you get more pleasure out of the pugs than you do her m8
Old 05 September 2004, 06:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I had a different experience. Drove a 306 XSi. Owned a 3-bed detached new home. "We" got pregnant, and she wanted a 4-door car. I said "Scoob".

she said, "OK"

Never looked back - she loves to drive it when she can We're on our second one.
She'll love the JDM STi I've been looking at too

The problem with alcohol-based arguments is that they tend to air the truth, just in the wrong way. She wants you to have a nice car (a dream position!!!), but obviously you're thinking car or house..... when it settles down (and the headaches!!!), give here a choice. She'll see sense

Either way, you're onto a winner!!!

Dan
Old 05 September 2004, 06:58 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I don't think women understand the old cars thing at all.

Most would rather have a cheap crap 54 reg than an older car - to them that is cool.

Old 05 September 2004, 09:13 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

She said today she doesn't mind the 205 so at least that is saved.

The 405 is only a temp motor though, but she doesnt get that its a classic - I even tried the Top Gear cool wall thing on her (they placed it towards sub zero) but that didnt work.

So, I may buy a Scoob now, will just sell it when we find a house if needs be.
Old 05 September 2004, 11:36 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Simon, I know exactly what you're feeling...

My Mrs is the same about my R5 GT Turbo and hates the thing!

She won't get in it, she constantly moans at me for having it, she touch parks it (on purpose) and wants me to get rid of it.

I get the "why do you need that old heap when you have a perfectly good car already" and doesn't understand that it's old, cheap, fast & fun, but also is a hobby and something to tinker with.

Just ignore her!