Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Skoda Octavia Performance - I've had enough of scoob insurance

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2004, 09:28 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skoda Octavia Performance - I've had enough of scoob insurance

After quotes of over 2k for insurance i've basically had enough, Greenlight say they can do insurance for a mere £700 on a chipped up 'tavia!

So i'm after info, i notice there is a choice of 2 top end ones, 1.8t basic and 1.8t RS, jabbasport seem to quote the final output figures of both when chipped as the same but the advantage of one the non RS model being 4wd, any thoughts, i've had enough i tells you

Any thoughts on chipped up TDI's? maybe a A3 tdi with serious toruqe or something.

I'm currently in a td05'd up 99 classic with approx 300hp and I know i wont be as quick off the mark but i'm throwing money away here guys!
Old 19 August 2004, 09:36 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

OK - I used to work for Skoda so ask away i know a reasonable amount --

Start with the VRS it has different suspension, brakes, interior, front and rear bumpers to the rest of the fleet -

The 4x4 is more a legacy system than a scooby (i.e not for handling purposes)

The VRS is 180 bhp standard -

The 1.8T is 150 bhp inc 4x4 version

The VRS is quite quick - i play with one on the way back from work sometimes, and despite the torque and modern technology it isn't quite up to the pace or handling of my M3, but not far off which for a standard car is amazing -

As for tuning, i recomend REVO performance chip upgrade to about 220 - 230 max, anything more is purley more boost and they struggle to put the power down, work on the rest of the car i.e a turbo back exaust with sports cat can take you to 240 ish bhp conservativly and with a ITG panel filter the whole thing may be circa 250 bhp on a mild/cool morning -

I personally feel that 300 bhp will be **** to drive, my Volvo is around that figure and it is only due to the 1600kg kerb weight and 60/40 weight distrabution that it isn't a compleate nightmare to drive, although it is bad -

I think they weigh around 1300 kgs VRS' but the 250 bhp and the right gearing for the job it is quite spicey and as you say cheaper to run and insure !!!!!

Hope this helps !
Old 19 August 2004, 09:41 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

thats most enlightening thanks.

I've already conceded that i wont get near the all round performance of my impreza, but its interesting that you say the VRS will be ropey with 300hp, perhaps given that its my next project it might be worth going with the 4x4 and then working on the rest of the car to get that up to the spec of the vrs? that way i can aim for 300hp AND have 4wd, or is the 4x4 just way too far off the mark compared to the vrs.

I'm going to have a chat with a couple of tuning companies with a view to buying one and going straight to them with it! for 250hp!

I should imagine 250hp in the 2wd 'tavia will be pretty much the same on the motorway to my 297hp impreza with its 4wd holding it back, time for a test drive in a 197hp at lunch time i think!
Old 19 August 2004, 09:44 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Your other option is a Volvo C70 T5 GT

1999 * VOLVO C70 2.3 T5 GT 2dr Coupe

Orange. Air conditioning, Leather seats, Sunroof, ABS, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system.FSH,12mths MOT,3Disk CD,Prologic sound,Heated seats,Serviced 3 weeks ago new tyres and brakes,240BHP,155MPH,Mulitple airbags,Whips system,Cruise control,Computer,The list goes on and on.Well looked after car.No time wasters or dreamers,new baby forces sale.Need 4 door car ASAP,best C-70 for the money don't be slow. 81000 miles. £8000

http://www.volvotuninguk.com/volvotuning/frames.asp - click on ECU upgrade

"Volvo C70 T5

240bhp standard

310NM standard

330bhp After Rica upgrade

430NM after Rica upgrade

Cost for a rica including fitting of ECU and ITG panel filter £600

No deneying that is a bargin and might even suprise you on how quickly it will travel compared to you current car !!
Old 19 August 2004, 09:54 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

I have an Octavia 4x4, it's had a Jabbasport remap and is throwing out around 220-230bhp.

I wouldn't swap it for an RS, or 2x RS's, but thats my preference. I love bumpy wet muddy country lanes and find the ground clearance and independent suspension works better in these conditions. I find the RS (and I've driven them a lot) to be frustrating getting the power down, and the back end too skitterish (torsion bar) on country roads.

However, if you prefer long three figure bends on dry A roads etc, you'd probably be happier in an RS, the 4x4 (with stock suspension at least) will simply not generate the same lateral grip.

I also prefer the Qcar element (mines an estate) but thats personal preference also.

Ian
(oh and lots of opinions and owners at www.briskoda.net)
Old 19 August 2004, 01:11 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianc
I have an Octavia 4x4, it's had a Jabbasport remap and is throwing out around 220-230bhp.

I wouldn't swap it for an RS, or 2x RS's, but thats my preference. I love bumpy wet muddy country lanes and find the ground clearance and independent suspension works better in these conditions. I find the RS (and I've driven them a lot) to be frustrating getting the power down, and the back end too skitterish (torsion bar) on country roads.

However, if you prefer long three figure bends on dry A roads etc, you'd probably be happier in an RS, the 4x4 (with stock suspension at least) will simply not generate the same lateral grip.

I also prefer the Qcar element (mines an estate) but thats personal preference also.

Ian
(oh and lots of opinions and owners at www.briskoda.net)
interesting reading that, so power wise the 4x4 and rs are tuneable in the same way and its all down to how its delivered? i'm a bit of a countryside and motorway/fast a road driver unfortunately! M25 and A1 in the mornings and countryside on the way back!

I'm thinking the 4x4 would be a good platform to have under me, cos i think 4x4 with suspension mods would be great but there is nothing you can do about the 2wd cars problems!
Old 20 August 2004, 10:11 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

I am in the same boat as you.
I want to change at the end of the year but can't decide on which Octavia to go for.

I love the looks of the vRS but could not live with the white seats and carpets

So it is between the 4X4 or 2wd and a Jabba remap.
Is grip a problem with only 2wd? (traction control?)
Is the 4x4 worth the loss of economy and performance?
Old 20 August 2004, 10:20 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If the 4wd system is the same as the Audi TT, then it's not always 4WD. It only sends drive to the rear wheels when it detects slippage at the front.

Probably no major fuel disadvantage unless you drive like a hooligan everywhere.

J.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the 4x4 gearbox isn't strong enough for serious power, otherwise I would have one by now and have it tuned up, as I love Octavias.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:10 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Apparently the 4x4 gearbox isn't strong enough for serious power, otherwise I would have one by now and have it tuned up, as I love Octavias.
damn, i'm really not certain of 250hp in a fwd octavia either so 4x4 was my only hope, argh, i dunno, maybe i've been spoilt with 4wd in the scoob, i think i shall just concede i'm taking a step down and reap the financial gains and save them for front tyres and body panels for when i understeer it into a tree!
Old 20 August 2004, 12:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it is ok at 250 but not at say 350 to 450, but the 1.8T is well capable of power.
Old 20 August 2004, 12:15 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It sounds like it is ok at 250 but not at say 350 to 450, but the 1.8T is well capable of power.
hmm, you make me wonder now, i was looking at 300hp tops!
Old 20 August 2004, 12:21 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Had a play with one couple of weeks back on a dual carriageway to chesterfield. Octavia VRS jobby with couple of cocky drivers.

Have to admit they gave me a good run in my scoob (MY00PPP) although from 80 I did seem to gain on them quite alot.

My excuse was my centre pipe was cracked and blowing at the time .....now decatted so should be even better now.

Would def consider one after the scoob or even a Leon Cupra R hmmm nice.

Good Luck

Ashley
Old 20 August 2004, 05:41 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I have read countless articles from engineers, in particular one of the bods from Ford Motor sport when developing RS and Cossy, saying that there are limitations with FWD and power, I have also read a Saab and Renault sport bod saying similar things..

The Ford guy said above 250bhp and you start to have less of a compromise on handling. personally I wouldn't want a FWD car with much more than that.. Although the touring cars manage it

I don't much like em' personally, but the Accord Type R often gets overlooked, I think it can rival the Octavia on many levels..
Old 20 August 2004, 08:22 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ringpeas
I am in the same boat as you.
I want to change at the end of the year but can't decide on which Octavia to go for.Is the 4x4 worth the loss of economy and performance?
Yes - because its not that much to be honest, for the reasons that its the variant of the Haldex (A3/S3/TT/4motion Golf) type.

MPG ?
I've just done 1500miles touring Ireland (which the 4x4 is great at - the suspension set up absorbs the craggy roads) at 34.7mpg (the computer said 35.1). That's a genuine touring trip - the best I ever got out of the Impreza over similar miles/trip was 29mpg. Average when using the performance has been 28-32 normally.

Performance ? 2 points here
1) You can put the power down without wasting any.
2) The 4x4 is shorter geared than the vRS so there's not much in it.

The above applies to my Jabba remapped car -similar to IanC's

Last edited by Flat 4x4; 20 August 2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 20 August 2004, 08:32 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

My Ibiza 1.8t is 233bhp 255lbs ft using the same turbo as the 180bhp octavia (k03s Jabba remap, sports cat 3"dp, chargecooler). It weighs 1119kgs and is a blast. Keeps up with most things within reason. Its leaves wrx's with PPP for dead. I am heading for the 340-350bhp area early next year. Cant wait. And running and insurance costs with mods declared are sensible.
Old 21 August 2004, 11:20 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

well,it has been said that the Ko3 will only go to 215bhp,but we wont start that again.................

the haldex 4x4 and the vRS are both great cars and its down to whatever floats ya boat,on the move there will be little between 2 chipped cars,although the RS will have the advantage with brakes if the race gets serious enough

its the standard equipment that made me get the vRS,but then again I am a bit pouffy with those sort of things

interesting reading that, so power wise the 4x4 and rs are tuneable in the same way and its all down to how its delivered
ps the KO3Sport turbo doesn't technically exist,its actually a newer upgraded ko3,with an improved compressor and actuator,and i think the 4x4 still have the old one,and the RS the new one,so tuning is technically limited to 195bhp on the 4x4 and 215bhp in the vRS.(These figs are given by the manufacturer of the turbo).Everyone seems to get more from the tuners for a variety of reasons.
Old 21 August 2004, 12:11 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dba
ps the KO3Sport turbo doesn't technically exist,its actually a newer upgraded ko3,with an improved compressor and actuator
Jeez, seen you spouting on about this in a few threads now... you must really know your stuff..... The KO3 is the "basic" turbo, the KO3s TECHNICALLY does exist.... it is based on the KO3 with a few variations - most obvious (I think) is the extra/larger propellors. Guess this is why it is called the KO3s and not the KO5 or something - cos it is not an entirely new one, just a differently engineered "other" one

Anyway, back on topic.... I was torn between a VRs and an Accord Type R - test drove a few examples of both, and I found the VRs had quite soggy handling - not what I had heard it to be hyped up as - all the press reports etc said it handled great, but I did not like it - felt almost sea sick after a blast along a hilly & winding road. ATR was a totally different story - ok, needs more revving, but the handling is the best I have ever experienced!
Old 21 August 2004, 12:25 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

it doesn't exist according to the manufacturers,who don't make a KO3S,they just upgraded the KO3,but lets not split hairs ps er,its 2 threads actually,one I started,and this one,so I haven't really moved to the spouting stage yet,
Old 22 August 2004, 05:47 PM
day tripper
Scooby Regular

How can a 180bhp octavia keep up with a 365bpp m3? Hardly a fair race, while the standard handling of an octavia is sloppy, after KW upgrades that is taken out of the equation.

Up to 300bhp is ok on a fwd octavia without much torque steer(as long as its dry).

215bhp max on k03??? I can think of a list of people that are running 240bhp on ko3 that have been rolling roaded.

Ringpeas, you can go down to the scrappers and get yourself a black carpet and fit seat covers if you dont want to get them dirty.

Im currently running 190-200bhp, I do not suffer any traction problems whatsoever in the dry.
Old 22 August 2004, 05:55 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Quite a big ol' car, but you could do worse than this.. (not sure on insurance - others will know)

2000 SUBARU LEGACY 2.0 4 Cam Turbo 5dr Estate
Metalic Grey EX PRO DRIVE MANAGEMENT CAR 42,000m, 280+ BHP full Subaru main dealer service history inc recent cambelt change, alarm and tracker, leather, MOMO steering wheel with paddle shift, all extras imaculate condition, full MOT and four new tyres. Will not find better example, private plate negotiable G6GTB. Tel or email danderson@teltronics.com. 42000 miles. £10250.

Old 22 August 2004, 06:02 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

There was a very similar sounding car to that one being sold last year by Prodrive themselves - for £8995. I was tempted for a while !
Old 22 August 2004, 06:21 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flat 4x4
There was a very similar sounding car to that one being sold last year by Prodrive themselves - for £8995. I was tempted for a while !

Well you know it's going to have all the extras, and been well looked after...Lovely cars..
Old 22 August 2004, 06:47 PM
s-man
Scooby Regular

Well I made this move a few months ago (Sti3 to Octy vRS) and, having looked at the 4x4 and the vRS side by side I couldn't go for the 4x4 for pretty much purely aesthetic reasons. The 4x4 is just bland next to the vRS, now I know thats not the be all and end all by any means and I agree that the pale inserts and carpet are asking for grief, but still even things like the seats and steering wheel are so much more 'proper' feeling in the vRS. 3 spoke leather trimmed wheel vs 4spoke plastic, supportive leather vs standard 'taxi' cloth seats, I knew I would either have to get the vRS or end up replacing the whole cabin and beefing up the wheels, brakes etc etc if I got the 4x4.

As others have mentioned the economy side of things is marginal between the two (vRS and 4x4) so the 4wd does still seem tempting. The only counter argument I can offer to back up my choice of the 2wd option is that, to be frank, the utter competancy and unflappability of the 4wd in my 2 scoobs actually kind of made me hanker for a car that has the odd traction issue and can be 'fun' within legal limits. The one thing I always felt about my scoobs was that their limits were so high that you needed to be on track to find them and that doesn't happen 99% of the time.

Anyway, back to the car itself...insurance is half what the Sti cost, I get nearly 40mpg against approx 22-28 and ...well, its obviously slower! Mine is still standard at the mo but I can see a remap looming so that should make it a bit more zesty but it simply doesnt have the go of the Sti...but then I didn't expect it to. As some others have said the handling isnt exactly razor sharp but that can be dealt with, but part of the reason i got one was to get away from the bone shaking ride 'quality' of the scoob so for the 90% of the time it isn't being ragged I find the extra comfort a fair trade-off.

What else?...I love the fact it looks a bit touring car-esque even though its a sleeper and that I don't worry about it getting nicked or hassled when i have the family in it.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it....just don't expect it to be a total scoob replacement because theres time I still wish i could have a blast in my old Sti.
Old 22 August 2004, 07:06 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Does it have to be a new car ?

How about a Celica GT4,

Just bought an ST185 version myself for 2k and find it in some ways more fun that my 53 plate STi. The 3S-GTE engine is a tough old unit good for easy 250hp, drive train seems strong. handling in mine is slighty oversteery which is much fun.

If I spend 2k doing the jobs that need fettling like exhaust, dampers and poly bushes plus a boost upgrade then its a fun car for less than 4k.

insurance for a uk car is peanuts too
Old 22 August 2004, 07:42 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

I can think of a list of people that are running 240bhp on ko3 that have been rolling roaded.
depends who you believe,the rolling roads or the manufacturers claimed max for the KO3,or maybe its somewhere in between
Old 01 September 2004, 03:59 PM
MeatballTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Gary C
Does it have to be a new car ?

How about a Celica GT4,

Just bought an ST185 version myself for 2k and find it in some ways more fun that my 53 plate STi. The 3S-GTE engine is a tough old unit good for easy 250hp, drive train seems strong. handling in mine is slighty oversteery which is much fun.

If I spend 2k doing the jobs that need fettling like exhaust, dampers and poly bushes plus a boost upgrade then its a fun car for less than 4k.

insurance for a uk car is peanuts too
yup, just bought one of these myself.

To replace my aging Saab 900 T16S.
paid not much different than you too.
Needs some bits doing, and it is an early one, so emmisions aren't going to be a huge problem if I D-Cat it.

Insurance was even cheaper than the 2.2 VTEC prelude that I was also considering at the time.