Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

calling all integra owners

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 06:27 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling all integra owners

is it really possible to live with these on regular motorway commutes (bristol to london) or am I kidding myself?

What kind of mpg and rpm cruising at 100 - 110mph??
Old 13 August 2004, 07:16 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yes, entirely possible. I used to commute Bristol - Oxford in mine.
No idea what mpg would be, rpm will be on the noisy side of 5000

They really aren't that bad on the motorway/
Old 13 August 2004, 07:27 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

ok thanks.

have you seen the white one in bristol that sounds like a touring car??? Standard looking but with superb induction / exhaust.
Old 13 August 2004, 08:03 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

I have no problem on motorways, either I just pop the windows down and listen to the induction and exhasut or shove the mp3 player on!

As long as you dont hit the magic vtec mark when travelling you can get 30ishmpg, add a little here and there on a long trip and you'll still get 25mpg.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:09 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I think its ok, the seats are comfy and it does pull well. You probably wont like it if you're used to comfort though

Touring car sound can easily be had by taking the airbox lid off. never heard anything like it

MPG is good. £32 got me 250 miles and that was by no means taking it steady. I think the VTEC cuts in at 100 mph in 5th, so still in economy mode below that....

Would have one over the golf anyday, poles apart

MB
Old 13 August 2004, 09:36 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Are we talking DC2 or DC5? I have driven a DC5 from near Aberdeen to the Lizard in Cornwall and back 3 times in the past year. I have found it to be fine on long motorway runs - better than a classic WRX.

Seats are comfortable. Wind noise is lower - better aerodynamics.

Economy is better. On the last run for instance I filled up on the A30 in Cornwall. Next fuel stop was Stafford on the M6 - 320 miles at 80 - 90 mph on 47 litres.

I guess that constant 100 - 110 mph would result in consumption in the high 20s per gallon. You would also stand a good chance of getting a few points on your license.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:39 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Think he means the DC2, Charles. The inside of the DC5 looks amazing and infintely more refined than the rattly DC2

MB
Old 13 August 2004, 09:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I ran a civic 1.6 VTI for 8 months commuting 50+ miles per day for 8 months (co car) and TBH it was not a problem, similar MPH per 100 revs as a teg (18 mph per 1000'sand revs)

You get used to the 'high revving' on the motorway and it was not an issue for me I now have a Civis 1.8VTI aerodeck and cover around 25K per annum and not a problem.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:04 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesW
Are we talking DC2 or DC5? I have driven a DC5 from near Aberdeen to the Lizard in Cornwall and back 3 times in the past year. I have found it to be fine on long motorway runs - better than a classic WRX.

Seats are comfortable. Wind noise is lower - better aerodynamics.

Economy is better. On the last run for instance I filled up on the A30 in Cornwall. Next fuel stop was Stafford on the M6 - 320 miles at 80 - 90 mph on 47 litres.

I guess that constant 100 - 110 mph would result in consumption in the high 20s per gallon. You would also stand a good chance of getting a few points on your license.
DC2. I have seriously considered the DC5 but in the end forced myself to understand that the whole point of chopping in the scooby was to get a tdi and save money.

At the end of the day I can afford pretty much anything up to and including a type 25, but I'm supposed to be being sensible for a while and getting on an even keel / growing the company successfully.

I have heard that the DC5 has better fuel economy and is much more comfortable and better built than the DC2, although allegedly the earlier car has better handling dynamics out-of-the-box.

Unfortunately the dc2 for sale locally to me (at a very reasonable price) has been sold, so I think I should stick with it and go with the tdi, as I will almost certainly only end up driving the teg like the scooby and getting silly mpg.

Definitely a car on my list that I really want to own at some point though.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:11 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Ed, I would seriously take it for a long test drive. The days I spent mulling over a non scoob car to buy, to save costs... As said, I bought a 1.8t golf and was pulling my hair out at the lack of power.

If you really loved the scoob, and still want something to excite you, dont go golf! If you had the wedge to get a DC5, I would go with that, or an S2000 if practical. Both are very cheap to run, and will still be fun. With the golf, driving becomes a chore rather than an enjoyment.... I think you're after a compromise?

Just speaking as someone who really would like another scoob, but happy with an ITR as a compromise

MB
Old 13 August 2004, 10:15 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Ed, I would seriously take it for a long test drive. The days I spent mulling over a non scoob car to buy, to save costs... As said, I bought a 1.8t golf and was pulling my hair out at the lack of power.

If you really loved the scoob, and still want something to excite you, dont go golf! If you had the wedge to get a DC5, I would go with that, or an S2000 if practical. Both are very cheap to run, and will still be fun. With the golf, driving becomes a chore rather than an enjoyment.... I think you're after a compromise?

Just speaking as someone who really would like another scoob, but happy with an ITR as a compromise

MB
Trust me, I understand every word you're saying. Loud and clear. It keeps running around and around in my head!!!

Surely the golf with a revo map to 300 lb ft and eibach springs and rear ARB upgraded would be a good compromise?
Old 13 August 2004, 10:27 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Possibly, but id have to try one

I couldn't see how to make my Golf interesting without forking out on it, and that would have outweighed the fuel costs.

I actually worked out that having a good MPG car, against a scoob, only saved several hundred pounds a year. Offset that against enjoyment and its no contest

I know how you feel though , and all depends on the budget and reasons for selling...

MB
Old 13 August 2004, 10:39 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

reasons are basically that, after losing a lot of money from the last company I worked for, spunking cash on my scooby, and then putting an awful lot into getting my own business up and running this last year, my personal finances ain't great.

Scoob currently costs me £400 a month in finance and insurance. Also I am now doing a lot more mileage... at the very least Bristol to London and back once a week, but usually more besides, and whilst my company is now doing well, I'm trying to do what I was unable to do previously, and be sensible for a while

I've basically sold my Scooby for enough to pay offer finance, and then I now plan to buy something else and then the pay myself enough extra to cover the cost of repayments, rather than the company buying a car.

So, whilst I could happily afford to blow 30k, if I can get away with 7-8k for a 2000/2001 golf tdi, and a grand for revo map and suspension, as well as more than halving my fuel bills, that's got to be a good thing?

Then again, the thought of a DC2 for the same money as a golf diesel, and the thought of vagualy decent economy off-cam is mightily tempting. My worry however is finding a good one. I have about 20 golfs to see tomorrow, but the only teg has just been sold.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:47 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

argh. ****it****it****it I'm going to have to test them both.

Last edited by Edcase; 14 August 2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:51 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

what is the ITR equivalent of scoobynet plz?
Old 13 August 2004, 11:02 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

www.itr-dc5.co.uk

www.itr-dc5.com
Old 13 August 2004, 11:11 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

thanks.

anything for dc2?
Old 13 August 2004, 11:18 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

You will find there is some stuff about DC2s discussed on the DC5 bulletin board. You could also try.

http://www.type-r.org/forum/index.php
Old 14 August 2004, 01:48 AM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

This is another good Honda site. A quite a few of the subscribers own DC2s and there are 4 DC5 owners on the board.

http://type-r-scotland.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 14 August 2004, 08:34 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

All you need:

http://www.itr-dc2.com/

http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/index.php
Old 14 August 2004, 08:43 AM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

good morning rhodri hows the car going
Old 14 August 2004, 10:44 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Revolutions is not that good IMHO, sometimes a bit funny on there and I didn't get a great deal of help. DC2 is more specific and generally a friendly bunch on there.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a good one, there are plenty out there, just look for a full Honda history. If not, I would walk away. There's a good buying guide on one of the sites....

Given what you've said, you'd save a lot by going Golf diesel and would be very good on the motorway after being fettled, as the torque increases are huge and thats what you need on the motorway. You could just aim to live with it for a year or 2, then come back to scoob land? The ITR wont save you too much over a UK spec, but the big thing is that the mods for them are massively limited compred to a scoob. I plan the decat mine and have a 4-1 manifold in the garage. Next would be an air box and a Unichip and you have a damn fast car. Ive been in one and it was way more competant than a scoob

Insurance is akin to a UK sccob, but servicing is more spread out, and a bit cheaper. Welcome to have a go in mine

MB
Old 14 August 2004, 11:06 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Testing a minter tomorrow. Put it this way, its just had its first set of pads in 65k miles. FHSH, cam belt recently done, always garaged.

Hadn't thought about insurance until I read the old Evo buying guide last night in bed.
At the end of the day, the main reason for selling is the repayments on 20k finance. I can get that donwn massively, give myself enough pay rise to cover the repayments etc. and the company pays most of the fuel anyway.

Mods. Hmmm.....would need to think v. carefully about if I would change anything.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:15 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Mark, sorry mate missed the last bit of your post, thanks for the offer chap
Old 15 August 2004, 10:42 AM
Riprock
Scooby Regular

REMEMBER!!!!!! while testing a DC2 you HAVE to rev it to within an inch of its life!!!!!! .Doing otherwise will make its seem like a pleasent reasonably speedy car,whilst reving it will give you the biggest grin around .

Seriously dont be afraid to take it to 8200 to 8500 rpm ish in each gear(once its warmed up of course ).Around 8100 changes leave you around 5900 in the next gear......perfectly in the vtec zone .

Used to have an ITR, got chipped skoda octy rs(similer in some respects to the route your thinking of i.e Tdi golf...same platform) and although its competant at what it does its not 1 quarter as much fun when your in the mood.And thats before we even get to the cornering .

Yours

Dash
Old 15 August 2004, 10:58 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Good point that, if they kick up a fuss, thats how its supposed to be driven

MB
Old 15 August 2004, 11:51 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

testing @ 3.30pm
Old 15 August 2004, 07:26 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

And....?!

MB
Old 15 August 2004, 08:04 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=353390

where's your glasses???

Any idea how much to get the seat bolsters done and retrimmed and to put an extra (final) years warranty on the car at a dealer??