Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ROVER 200 Hatchback 220 SDi

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 02:19 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROVER 200 Hatchback 220 SDi

thinking of picking one of these up in a few months and was wondering if anyone here has/had one and what their opinions are on it? it says 50mpg and has a lot of features, the price of a low milage oen is around 2-2.5k and it looks fairly modern.

Borich
Old 13 August 2004, 10:49 AM
Gren
Scooby Regular

Used to have one of these.

50mpg as you say - used to get high 40s no matter how I drove it. Bulletproof engine etc, had no problems at all after 4 years. Only thing I ever had to do was tighten a jubilee clip on the power steering hose.

Pretty good on motorways with all the torque but useless at corners. Too big a lump in the front causes it to understeer like hell.
Old 13 August 2004, 02:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Peugeot Engine. So not many flaws with them, which were pretty much all addressed by the time the current faclift came along.

Previously I've seen gearbox problems on earlier models, mainly bearing/gear whine. Probably from hard use and having to cope with the low down touque. Have seen the odd head gasket failure - through it not being changed enough/maintained (don't confuse with K-series ). Also seen issues with the ECUs playing up.

As long as you can cope with the small interior and poor ventillation (A/C is a must), and uncomfortable seats - I would reccomend having a good sit in one if you intend to do big mileages. Granted, for the meney you can buy alot worse
Old 13 August 2004, 11:16 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one as well. Loved the torque but got caught out a few times whilst overtaking, and hitting the rev limiter You get used to the low down punch and can get carried away with thinking it's much faster than it really is. Used to eat front tyres. I had batt problems - flat batt on cold mornings. Handling was 'interesting' and brakes will let you down after a few stops or anything over 85mph. I found it hard to do better than 38mpg due to turbo fun!

F
Old 14 August 2004, 07:23 AM
Steve V8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Peugeot Engine. So not many flaws with them, which were pretty much all addressed by the time the current faclift came along.

Previously I've seen gearbox problems on earlier models, mainly bearing/gear whine. Probably from hard use and having to cope with the low down touque. Have seen the odd head gasket failure - through it not being changed enough/maintained (don't confuse with K-series ). Also seen issues with the ECUs playing up.

As long as you can cope with the small interior and poor ventillation (A/C is a must), and uncomfortable seats - I would reccomend having a good sit in one if you intend to do big mileages. Granted, for the meney you can buy alot worse
Not a Peugeot engine in the 220 SDi. It is a heavily redesigned development of the Perkins unit first seen in the Montego.

The Peugeot engines were in the previous shape Rover 200 (Honda Concerto shape).
Old 14 August 2004, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Did I type that?? Bugger, I typed it and KNEW it was an L-series...what was I thinking?