Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Suzuki Jimny - any good for the misses or just utterly shocking all round?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2004, 12:58 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Suzuki Jimny - any good for the misses or just utterly shocking all round?

Now bear in mind the driver of the Jimny is the misses who is not interested in handling, speed, performance etc. She does do a fair few miles as a home carer so looking for small engines or diesels.

She really like the jimny's becuase she likes jeeps and likes the fact that its small and easy to manouver. Its a 1.3 so tax will be cheap and should be cheaper fuel compared to her current 1.6 petrol 97 Astra.

Only thing that puts me off is cost of tyres, whether its reliable and its build quality/survivabilty in an accident as we have a 2 year old.

I know it probably handles like jelly and very slow but shes not too bothered about that just likes the cool factor.
Old 11 August 2004, 01:40 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way back in the mists of time, my first car was an SJ410... last time I looked at a jimny it all seemed very familiar!!

Even then, it's "crudeness" was part of it's character, summer day \ roof down and the bounce \ noise didn't matter. It helped that I didn't have much to compare it to!

Build quality \ reliability will be fine, mine was in the family from 86(new) to 2001 without any major hassles. Not sure about the crash worthiness - try and find some current crash results? Ignore the "fallover" scares of the earlier one, they were unfounded.

Hope that helps...

Ian
Old 11 August 2004, 02:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice one mate, answered my question a treat.

Only thing though, you mention fuel consumption? My misses is a home carer so does a quite a few miles a week in her car most of which are short fuel guzzling journies. Long trips the Astra is pretty frugal but round town its rubbish and its also got aircon which hammers the fuel.

What would you say the MPG was on a Jimny? Any idea of what its doing to a tank miles wise.

Thanks mate, more convinced it'll be OK for her now.
Old 11 August 2004, 02:39 PM
Wild Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Nice one mate, answered my question a treat.

Only thing though, you mention fuel consumption? My misses is a home carer so does a quite a few miles a week in her car most of which are short fuel guzzling journies. Long trips the Astra is pretty frugal but round town its rubbish and its also got aircon which hammers the fuel.

What would you say the MPG was on a Jimny? Any idea of what its doing to a tank miles wise.

Thanks mate, more convinced it'll be OK for her now.
They are shockingly bad, sorry mate had one for a week, would rather drive a trabant.

Just my opinion.

Mark