Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf TDi's ? What's ur opinion of the Seat Altea ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 11:30 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Golf TDi's ? What's ur opinion of the Seat Altea ?

As above .. Have been thinking a lot lately about selling me scooby wagon for something more economical and been looking at other hatch/sm. estates and came across the Altea 2.0 Tdi DSG Sport .. I'm a great admirer of these diesel engines and ( what a coincidence ?!?) the DSG gearbox ..It manages to get THE best performance out of these engines and feels quick despite only having 140 horse but 236lb/ft torque !

What do u peeps think ? Do u think the SEAT badge has any stigma attached to it compared to a sccob ?
I do have to add prefer it in silver with 17" or 18" wheels ..not the puny ones

Cheers ,

Steve
Old 29 July 2004, 11:35 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did they not have a larger image?
Old 29 July 2004, 11:46 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
did they not have a larger image?
Hmmm ..

Anyone with AN OPINION ?
Old 30 July 2004, 07:21 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

I`ve only seen one!

They`re a bit strange looking to me but I`m sure they`ll grow. To be honest I don`t think you can go wrong with the 2.0TDI engine but if you go to the TT forum www.tt-forum.co.uk a few of the guys there have been having problems with the DSG box, a couple have been replaced (under warranty of course).

Can`t knock Seat`s value for money though!
Old 30 July 2004, 07:40 AM
JDM
BANNED

They look like an MPV, I'm biased and can't see the point of these high roof line monstrosities. They look even worse in real life. Surely raising the center of gravity screws up the handling?
Old 30 July 2004, 09:07 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I think they are great. Kick the Golf into touch on value for money, and have a much better interior to boot. Lots of nice touches are available like MP3 CD Players and Bluetooth, and are very roomy. They are nice to drive, its not a hot hatch but its still a good steer. And they are selling very well too. My mate who sells them sold 3 in the first weekend they were on sale.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:37 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I think they look better in the flesh - look nice inside too. As Reffro said - the Seats are far better value for money than the VW's. Far less common too.

Badge doesn't bother me - but then again we do have a Seat Leon and a Skoda! My impression is that Seats are well regarded - the sporty part of the VAG group, whereas Skoda does still suffer some undue snobbery.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:58 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I think they look great, they've just broken away from the mould, and that always looks weird, I remember most people hated Seiras when the came out! I am sure the high centre of gravity doesn't affect handling ! I was about to mention the Merc A-class, but then I remembered that flipped in testing! Although it's been called a "Multi Sports Vehicle" what ever that fricking means. How many sports can you do in it? They're going to be doing some mad Cupra variations though I believe. I quite like the roomy / pracitcal sport number meself, not as main car, sort of car I would buy for my misses if i had the cash, and would secretly enjoy driving it!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture...13986.jpg?2554
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/...ages/img03.gif
http://www.topgear.com/content/news/...ages/img05.gif

Doesn't look that different to a certain sport honda!?

Have no experience of them, they're brand new, but they sound as if they've been well recieved by the motoring press..

It's based on the new mk5 Golf chassis, here is cut n paste from evo.

SEAT Sports Up Altea MPV

t's been dubbed a Multi Sports Vehicle - but it looks as though SEAT is putting the emphasis on the 'Sports'. As you can see from this flagship version of the new Altea, the Spanish manufacturer is already looking to show off the car's sporting intentions. And this model points the way to an eagerly anticipated Cupra version, expected as early as next year.

Displayed alongside other road-ready variants for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show, this striking blue top-of-the-range model was badged Sport Up. And it clearly shows the racy potential of the compact multi-purpose vehicle's innovative styling. The large-diameter SEAT Sport branded alloys, combined with a slightly more aggressive front end, give the Altea a distinctly hot hatch look. The rear, meanwhile, is finished off with a chrome exhaust pipe.

Based on the new Volkswagen Golf platform, the Altea is the first SEAT to get the VW Group's latest chassis and engine technology. As a result, the Sport Up benefits from the new Golf's flagship oil-burner - the 2.0-litre TDI. Producing 140bhp, the powerplant will be mated to the highly responsive DSG semi-automatic transmission first seen on the Audi TT.

The range-topping diesel unit will be joined by a cheaper 105bhp 1.9-litre TDI, as well as 102bhp 1.6 and 150bhp 2.0-litre FSI petrol engines. When the Cupra eventually joins the line-up, it is

ADVERTISEMENT

likely to be powered by an uprated version of the 2.0-litre oil-burner, which will generate more than 160bhp.

Inside, the driver sits high within the roomy MPV body, but the Altea does without any innovative seat layouts, instead providing a traditional 60/40 split rear bench. However, a roomy boot and more than 30 cubbies make the car a practical family proposition. Despite its sporting aspirations, SEAT predicts the cheaper 1.6 petrol and 1.9-litre diesel models will attract most buyers. The Altea is aimed at rivals such as the Peugeot 307 and Ford Focus C-MAX, and prices are likely to start at around £13,000 for the base model and rise to about £18,500 for the flagship.

Also see top gear for quick article and more pics.

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/...oming_soon/26/

Last edited by mynickers; 30 July 2004 at 04:05 PM.