Old 22 July 2004, 09:33 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy wrx
Anyone driven or owns a V6 clio ?

Tell us more

cheers
I drove the old one last year. It was really fun, hard to make the wheels spin. It is a drivers car not a car to take on vacations :-) The only thing that felt cheap in the car was the interior. Itīs real raw outside, and several other drivers stopped and looked at the car when we pitstopped at a gas station.

What model are You thinkin about? The new updated facelift one has better traction. But still when it is a mid-engine car a little to much gas in corners can result in a spin. The old one was chrasched by several motor journalist when testdriving.

I spoke to Reanult Sweden if they could take the new one home, but the demands here are to small. A shame that we donīt have this model available in Sweden when itīs a real fun car to drive :-(
Old 23 July 2004, 03:24 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

Search this section of the forum, youll find plenty of comment on the V6

Main theme, all show, no go.........
Old 23 July 2004, 03:29 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Have had mine from December 2002 and have now covered over 37k.

Have had no real problems with it and all have been covered under warranty.

In this time have averaged 30m.p.g.

Rear tyres every 12k, front tyres 24k.

Insurance for me, wife, buisiness about Ģ830.

Every one comes to speak to you when you stop from the young to the very old.

What more would you like to know ?
Old 23 July 2004, 07:10 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

A good friend of mine was in the team that developed that car. They had one with a Grp A racing engine in, that sounded fun.
Old 23 July 2004, 09:53 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Darren (DC911) who posts on here has one so you may get some good advice.

He also has a Honda VTech engined Mini, Focus RS, Type25 Scoob and a Lamborghini Gallardo so should be able to give some constructive comparisons.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 July 2004, 03:44 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

so Darren isnt short of a few quid ???
Old 24 July 2004, 05:30 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyp1
so Darren isnt short of a few quid ???
Er no.

He's only around 23-24 years old but very down to earth, nice chap.
Had a highly modified 22B UK when they first came out when he was 18 or 19.
Works just down the road from where I live so I see what he's running. Recently sold his Porsche 911GT2 and Merc SL55AMG.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 July 2004, 08:56 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brybusa
Search this section of the forum, youll find plenty of comment on the V6

Main theme, all show, no go.........
Think that is rather harsh, maybe the old one was not a very good package, but the new one is suppose to be fantastic, admitidly I haven't driven one. But you can't really test drive something like that unless you're really seriously going to buy one, plus I doubt you'll ever find one in stock, think they're pretty much shipped on order!

But from what I have read in the motoring press, particularly the more driver enthusaist orientated hacks such as Evo think it is fantastic, and a cheap 911 experience And that isn't that far off, Porche helped them develop the second car and deal with some of the handling issues that resulted in the last one being prown to snap oversteer.

Even that ponsey German worshiping pillock Clarkeson has remarked that it's a good car, I have even heard that in testing the Clio was one of the few cars they had that didn't go wrong or nothing fell off.

It's a great little car in my opinion, especially if you like attention, that's one thing you'll get alot of. But if it's raw driver appeal, I personally think there are better options for that money and lets face it, Ģ27k is a lot of money for a clio, especially when you know that for Ģ27k you can get some SERIOUS performace from other cars if that is what you're after.

Really raw drivers car, why go tin top at all? There is no practicality in a Clio V6, the rear is full of engine! They're the same inside as a standard one, of which I drive at the moment, and you might get a purse in the passanger draw. Why not just get a Westy, or a Caterham. Or if you want a tin top, why not a lotus. In the grand scheme of things, these are all much more refined and better performing 'sports cars'.

A few examples of other places you could invest your Ģ27k

Westfield megabusa - Ģ22k - 0-60 3.7secs and 413bhp per ton!! Sounds chicken oriental (mental)!

Caterham 7 - R400 Ģ29k - 0-60 3.9 and 415bhp per ton!!!!!

Doesn't get much more insain than these babies, traffic lights anyone?

Elise S2 111S - Ģ27k - 0-60 5.1 and 197bhp per ton, more refined road Elise, forget all the scare stories about build quality, Elise are a fantastic car, and just think, you'll be buying british!

Clio 255 - Ģ27k - 0-60 - 5.8 and 182 per ton - pretty good, but nothing out of this world!! It would be if the handling was utterly amazing, but it's never going to be better than a Caterham or a Westy is it!

Makes you feel you're being a little short changed unless you really love it, they are a special car, and very original and rare. But what about...

Honda S2000 (revised model) - Ģ26K - 0-60 5.5 and 191 per ton.

If I had that much money to spend on a new car, I would love to say the first two were on the shopping list, but they're about as practical as a boat in the desert, definatley a second car (alright for some).

For that money, I would have to go with the revised S2000, seriously good VTEC performance, good revisions, good chassis, realiable, and more practical than any of the others above.

And I suppose their is always that little Vauxhall - what's it's name, Elise? No VX something or other, well the Turbo is suppose to be a very good little car if you like things from those scum bags at general motors.

I really should be a 'car personal shopper', I'd be great

I'm off to get pissed, have fun...

Last edited by mynickers; 24 July 2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 24 July 2004, 09:06 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Er no.

He's only around 23-24 years old but very down to earth, nice chap.
Had a highly modified 22B UK when they first came out when he was 18 or 19.
Works just down the road from where I live so I see what he's running. Recently sold his Porsche 911GT2 and Merc SL55AMG.

Cheers
Lee
He's not that cocky lad that made money selling scooters is he?

Highly modified 22b at 18 - I am surprised he is still with us! I was dangerous in a highly unmodified renault 5
Old 24 July 2004, 09:28 PM
ukbob
Scooby Regular

mynickers,i think you will find porche refined the engine tuning,TWR/RENAULT sorted out the handling on the phase 2 cars
Old 25 July 2004, 01:39 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukbob
mynickers,i think you will find porche refined the engine tuning,TWR/RENAULT sorted out the handling on the phase 2 cars

Aye you're right, think this was the bit that stuck in my mind:

Originally Posted by Evo
Overall front roll stiffness is more than doubled, a significant change given that the rear springs are only slightly stiffened and there's still no rear anti-roll bar (it would reduce traction out of corners). No wonder it understeers in the wet. Finally, the bump stops are longer, softer and so more progressive in their action: the sudden contacting of the old ones was one reason for the old car's abrupt on-limit behaviour. 'Porsche uses a similar solution,' says Clio V6 project guru Fabrice Cutarella
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?domain...y.php?id=36413