Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche 911 Advice ...

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2004, 07:37 PM
R333TER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Porsche 911 Advice ...

Totally Scooby'd and Evo'd out and looking for a drastic change ... had my heart set on an M3 but all the ones I've looked at haven't measured up. So ... Plan B .... I've always loved 911s but to be honest outside admiring them was better than the reality when I took out a 993 a few months ago.

The 993 in question was a 1995 and to be honest the interior was a HUGE let down along with the performance after getting out of a STi 8 with PPP, so my question is this ...

What model do I need to go look at that is going to impress me in terms of performance and interior? I'm assuming I got be be thinking of the Turbo model or GT2 or GT3 for performance? Are all the models got similar interior? Biggest let down was the seats, do any of the models have seats with half sensible support? Also unconvinced about the floor mounted pedals, are these the same on all models?

All advice appreciated before I start travelling around ...
Old 21 July 2004, 08:27 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

What is your budget?
Old 21 July 2004, 09:46 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

In 993 guise all interiors are more or less identical ( my Twin Turbo has a bit more leather on the dash area than my previous 993 C4). Floor mounted pedals were on all 911's until the 996 (from about 1998).
performance from my 430 BHP is staggering (Test figures below). This was not the case with my C4 .It was quick -but not in the same league as below.

Hubraum 3600 ccm
Aufladung Turbo
PS - UMin 430 PS - 5750/Min
Nm - UMin 540 Nm - 4500/Min
Motorlage/Antrieb Heckmotor/Allrad
Gänge/Schaltung 6/manuell
Test in ams 25/1996
Gewicht 1506 kg
0 - 80 km/h 2,8 s
0 - 100 km/h 3,8 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,1 s
0 - 130 km/h - s
0 - 140 km/h - s
0 - 160 km/h 8,5 s
0 - 180 km/h - s
0 - 200 km/h 13,5 s
400 m, stehender Start 12,0 s
1 km, stehender Start 21,8 s
Vmax 300 km/h
100 - 0 km/h (kalt) 36,4 m
100 - 0 km/h (warm) 35,4 m

The GT2 and GT3 variants are really a bit more suitable for track days ( especially GT2 which is Twin Turbo with 2 wheel drive and almost the chassis of the old GT1.
Depends on what you value. My TT is my everyday car and I really do not think I have the downright ability to justify buying a GT2 for everyday use.

The link to all the Porsche test data is as follows.
http://www.9ii.de/porsche/list.htm
Old 21 July 2004, 10:51 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a drive of a 996 Turbo, albeit with the tiptronic gearbox, it was on an airfield with an instructor sat alongside, left in auto mode it was dull, with a capital D.
Didn't get to try it in manual mode, I don't think the instrcutor knew what we were sat in really, didn't even know if it was 4wd??
Drove a Noble later, now that was fun!!
Old 21 July 2004, 10:58 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a Yellowbird - I downloaded video clips of a Ruf turbo vs the yellowbird and was amazed at the way the yellowbird made the Ruf turbo look slow
Old 21 July 2004, 11:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You get used to the pedals, personally I find the brake/acelerator pedal arrangment ideal for heal and toeing, which you need to do to get the best out the gearbox.

Seats, can't say I've had a problem, better back support than Classic scoobies with the addition of front and rear tilt on the base (electric). Did you try adjusting the base (switches on the side of the seat)??

Rest of the interior is junk. I mean intermittant wipers on the dash, while the "normal" wipers are on the stalk. Two widscreen washers switches (one on the dash - other on the stalk). Heater control between the seat, A/C on the centre console. Ventilation on the dash. Who designed the thing!??

The ergonomics/layout is laughable - all inherited from the late 60's with bit's and bobs added on throughout the years....apparently it's supposed to be "character" - so I've been told !

Still, the involvment and fun from driving it makes up for it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 July 2004 at 01:56 AM. Reason: noticed I mentioned some interior quirks from pre 993 cars...just though I'd say "I KNOW" before some smart ass comes along and corrects me :p
Old 22 July 2004, 07:51 AM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Get yourself a Yellowbird - I downloaded video clips of a Ruf turbo vs the yellowbird and was amazed at the way the yellowbird made the Ruf turbo look slow
I MAY be wrong but IMO the "Yellowbird" IS a Turbo built by RUF. They just put it in the narrow body for less drag.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:04 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Hi

I had an STi4 & then decided to get out of the whole Jap car scene.
Started off with a Boxster S. Better in every way than the STi except performance - I missed the grunt - wonderful well balanced car though.

I then went onto a 996 C2 which was - in my opinion - as quick as the STi (quicker over 100mph)
Very different handling to the STi (& the boxster for that matter) as you are always aware of all that weight over the rear. Ultimately that makes it a more fun car to drive than an STi which does lots for you.

I then went on to a 996 C4S which is a brilliant car. Same straight line speed as a C2 but accross country (my mate in a 996 C2 can testify to this) its much quicker.

I have just bought a 996 Turbo now (get that next week)
All I can say is jjjjjjjjeeeeeeeeesssssssuuuuuuuuusssssssssss to the performance. I thought the C2 & C4S were quick - this is in another league.

So budget does come into this a lot - if you have £35k & want the fastest Porsche for that money get a 993 Turbo, if you have £45k then get a Mk1 GT3 (mental car) If you have £ 55k then get a C4S (in some people's opinionTHE best 996 they make) & if you have £65k plus then a 996 Turbo.

The 996 C2 is easily as fast as an STi but is better built, will hold its value better & has a better image. Try & get a post 2001 car with the larger 3.6 engine & 320 bhp

Ro.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:22 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I have a C4S and a 22B, the 22 feels quicker in a straight line, the 911 has better steering feedback and is therefore more rewarding to drive 'in the twisties'. Classic scoob STI kicks the 911's **** in bhp/tonne. Interior is shocking though in the 996, buttons and indicator stalks are horribly cheap feeling. 993 was put together much more solidly than the 996, just a shame how dated it looks (though argueably that's part of the charm).
Sports exhaust is essential on the 996 IMHO, otherwise it sounds like a micra
Cman
Old 22 July 2004, 09:25 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

With regards to seats, I have standard seats..because my legs are too long to fit in a car with the hard backed sports seats....but find them plenty supportive enough. Pedal offset takes some getting used to when swapping between the cars...911 pedals very cramped..especially clutch.
C
Old 22 July 2004, 10:04 AM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

R333TER

I tried a 993 a while back when I had an Evo 6 and like you I was underwhelmed by the performance, made a great noise though. Also found the foot-well very cramped especially around the clutch.

I now have a GT3 M2 and it's just awesome. Fastest thing I've ever driven, very lively engine and it makes a great sound, with plenty of steering feedback. Most GT3's will have bucket seats, like mine, which are very supportive and in this car I don't have a problem with the pedals at all. When I started looking I was also interested in a TT but got to drive a GT3 first and knew straight away it was just want I wanted. General oppinion seems to be that the GT3 is more track day focused with the TT being the ultimate road car. Depends what you want it for.
I didn't bother with a drive in a TT so can't tell you directly how they compare.
When I went to view the GT3 I still owned an E46 M3 SMG and the difference in performance is staggering. Drove back home in the M3 and it felt like the clutch was slipping!
Old 22 July 2004, 10:09 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Sports exhaust is essential on the 996 IMHO, otherwise it sounds like a micra
That is sooo true, I can't understand why more Porsche owners don't put them on

My old neighbour had one on his 996 and it sounded AWESOME, every time he drove off up the road I'd be hanging out of the window with a big (jealous) grin on my face

Sal (dreaming of owning a C4S with sports exhaust)
Old 22 July 2004, 10:13 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Have a look at Blow Dog's Stuggart 9s forum
Old 24 July 2004, 08:44 AM
towzer
Scooby Regular

There's lots of ex-scooby owners on Stutgart 9's.

I went from a sti7 to 996 c4s purely because the scooby was becomming too harsh and wanted to go ***** out all the time. The 911 will happily trundle through traffic or fly around the twisties.

You won't need a sterio either, the soundtrack above 6k rpm is awsome.

Cost wise, there's not much difference on monthly payments between an M3 and a 996.

Phil
Old 24 July 2004, 08:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Default classic advice

A mate wants a 'classic 911' even though I warn him against having an old car, being no good with a spanner & keeping it on the street...

Went to see a few today with him, and while it is definitely not my cup of tea, are there any really good sites that I could gen up a bit from on his behalf? I gather from today's scout that a 911 SC would have a galvanised body and so is definitely more preferable for e.g.

Cant help feeling he'd be much better off with an SL as really wants a 'classic'...

D
Old 26 July 2004, 09:27 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

996 interior is light years ahead of 993. I had an Sti Wagon and traded up to a 996 C4 in 2000. The 996 is I think a little faster but doesn't feel it as the acceleration is across the whole rev range, whereas with the Sti you get a big kick in the backside. I've never managed to go beyond the C4's capabilities but think I'm a bit more careful as I'm older and its a lot more money to be messing with.
The best bit is the sound and the general feel of the car when driving, its doesn't feel like siting in a normal saloon(obviously).
Downside of 996 is practicality, especially with C4 as the already small 'boot' gets a good bit smaller with front Diff in place. You cannot get much in the way of shopping in there
Some of the interior is crappy like the plastic switches but the suede type roof lining is magic as are the seats, although I don't like the look of the seats.
Rear wiper not being automatic is rubbish but I'm just getting picky

Last edited by camk; 26 July 2004 at 11:35 AM.