Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MG ZT260 Test Drive.......nice !

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 10:30 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MG ZT260 Test Drive.......nice !

Hi all,

I did say I would let you all know what the ZT260 was like after my 1day test drive. Has to be said, the dealer were top notch. They took my licence for the day, and I took a ZT260 in exchange, on their insurance too !

First off, before I'd left the car park I was smiling. 4.6 V8 Mustang engine in an MGZT, I just love the 'two fingers to the EU' idea of it, and the noise when you start that big engine is just smile inducing 15mpg round town and probably enough Co2 emissions to choke a donkey - grrrrrreat

And a total 'Q' car too, just looks like a ZT190 - I'm undecided as to whether this is a good or bad thing. The plus side is you're not gonna get undue attention from the jealous, braindead vandalism crew. But I think I'd kinda want some aesthetic changes given that the 260 is £30k+, maybe one or two styling touches from the SV ?

Anyway, the gearbox takes some getting used to, it's a bit agricultural . Changes are slow and mechanical, you'd lose a couple of seconds per lap if you were on a track, but you can live with it on the road.....just.

Acceleration is strong but not quick, and I would've expected more pull once you hit three figures, but this isn't really a problem.

The ride is actually good, firm enough to still handle well yet soft enough to live with. Seats are very comfy and driving position pretty good.

However, I really took a liking to it ! The little V8 badge on the dash made me smile everytime it caught my eye, and the noise is just lurvely. There is some drone in the cabin when cruising but not too much.

Bottom line is - I wan't one ! Ok so it's 15mpg round town, and servicing is a little frequent, but I really want one !!! Tail sliding round a roundabout with a V8 singing away just does something for me !!!

A concern I have is depreciation - it's an MG !!! The car I drove was 10k and six months old, it's now £26k and was £32k. I can't help but feel this will be a bargain in 6 months.

Cheers

Matt
Old 24 May 2004, 10:36 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, give it 12 months and they will be around 9k that is what I intend to do Sadly these cars do not hold their value, it was the same with the old SD1 V8.
Cheers
Colin