Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Has anyone ever driven a GTR skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2004, 11:04 PM
steve ETHERIDGE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever driven a GTR skyline?

After some options,from people who have driven any of the GTR range-Good or bad.
Just on the edge of getting a GTR33.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:33 PM
steve ETHERIDGE
Scooby Newbie

Anyone?
Old 23 May 2004, 11:57 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hi

I drove one at Elvington a while back, an R33 with intake, exhaust and boost.

Was about 380bhp. In a straight line my Corvette C5 was quicker but it was still rapid. Brakes - not that good IMHO. Suspension was ok, bit too much roll and squat.

Did not drive it on the road though.

Sounds great BTW
Old 24 May 2004, 12:28 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Hi , I drove a modifled one a few weeks back (500bhp) was not impress at all,
my modifled P1 was much quicker off the line (350 bhp), and easier to drive !
ps all sound and no go !
Old 24 May 2004, 12:41 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Had a ride in a v-spec the other day for a couple of miles. This had been tastefully tweaked to 4/500 bhp. Exhaust deafening at trundling speeds but you didn't have time to think when the boost came on It's the most I've felt pinned to my seat and I'm sure I was sliding up the seat back

Too extreme for round town stuff (and 13mpg to boot ) but it seemed as though it would be OK for track use...

The lad had imported it from Japan to sell on and had someone interested but if it falls through, do I give him any contact details...?

Apple
Old 24 May 2004, 10:01 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I traded in my 95WRX for a R33 GTR 4 yrs ago.

At the time I wasn't bothered about 2 doors, small boot, but looking back now, I wouldn't have bought it as it was too impratical.

The car was standard spec power wise. Body roll round corners was pronounced. Very smooth power delivery, but not blazing fast. Only when your doing around 50mph+ do you really appreciate the larger capacity engine. It would pull like a train to the redline.

Anyhow, ultimately ended up trashing it after exiting a roundabout at 30mph, we hit some diesel, did a 180 degree turn, hit the verge, mounted it and dropped into a ditch.

Completely destroyed the underneath of the car, and it was a write off. Damn shame.

Never mind. At least I can say I had one.

However, I am very very pleased with my MY02 STI

Far more pratical
Old 24 May 2004, 10:07 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

A few times
Old 24 May 2004, 10:07 AM
steve ETHERIDGE
Scooby Newbie

Some mixed opinions then-as always!

I know a few people.who have had scoobys and changed to GTRs-who have said there is a massive difference in power.I am open minded,but feel after the 60 mph mark,not many scoobys would be tailing the GTR.

Anyone else??
Old 24 May 2004, 09:09 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Skylines

I had an New R33 GTR with 380 bhp a few years ago. Wonderful car, the driving experience has to be seen to be believed. Providing you arrived at a corner at a speed that wasn't outrageous you would always get around, the computerisation of the 4wd and traction control is instantaneous and you'll always get around and look stylish whilst the computer gets you out of trouble.

Considering they are heavy, they behave really well in all weathers. mine was lowered with Nismo -30mm springs and body roll wasn't an issue. Fuel consumption could be bad if you really got stuck into it - I used 1/2 a tank in 56 miles one day !*! [ @ 26 litres ]

Most cars could be seen off without ever going over 4000 rpm. The only vehicles that would play with you most days were large bikes and the odd Ferrari. Ferrari owners in general are frightened of their cars and backed off when it wasn't going to be an easy win. Bikes were more fun and I surprised more than one of them with the Skyline. Conversation at the traffic lights always began with 'What is that thing ?'.

Great days.

David API Engines
Old 25 May 2004, 01:40 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yummy!

Love them. They can all be tweaked just a bit for gobs of extra

Some brake tweaks are not a bad idea either IMHO, to beat the weight. As David said, a few tweaks and you'll get access to simply immense cornering ability at speed that'll see off a shedload of megabuck motors.
Old 25 May 2004, 08:36 AM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Never driven one but have been in passenger in one loads of times - R33 with 450-600 bhp and you wouldn't beleive the performance from these things. It's the only car I've been in which can get wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the dry. Awesome. Would beat practically anything on a track and most roads. With a heavy right foot it'd do considerably less than 10 mpg though! Still, happy with my WRX and I can't afford £25k for mods.
Old 25 May 2004, 08:44 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I had the pleasure of driving Pbones beast a few weeks back, absouloutly amazing car this one was pushing out about 470bhp, now he has had it tweeked and I beleive it is pushing out over 500 bhp beautiful car and the power is truely unbelivable.
Cheers
Colin
Old 25 May 2004, 11:10 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

Funnily enuff, I am in the same position. I have nearly bought a standard R33 VSpec.

Inside the car is quite a dissapointment, quite nasty in fact. It reminds me of early MK1 scoobs, with brittle hard palstic on the centre console. The seats are alcantara, verging on 'velour' and the steering wheel could be out of a Micra. I think a retrim would have to be the 1st port of call!

To drive the car feels very different to the Rally slags that I'm used to. Put your foot down and there's no instant shove in the back at lower revs, you need to get to 4K b4 the fun starts. Even then, the acceleration is more progressive and smooth, rather than raw like the Evo/P1 that I'm used to. It's fast, but in a more civilised way.

It's a big heavy car (1.6 tonnes) and it feels very chunky and solid to drive, the handling is far better than it should be or a car of this size/weight. For obvious reasons it's not as light and nimble as my Evo and I'd definately put it in the GT class rather than a backroad basher. I think this car is more at home on fast A roads, than country lanes. The suspension is very firm, but it's compliant and nowhere near as jiggly as my Evo 6, despite many write ups saying the opposite, I thought the ride was very good, bar the worst pot holed surfaces.

To be honest, in standard form I found the car pretty unremarkable. After the iconic status that I and many car fans have given the car, It was rather an anti climax to drive. Compared to what I'm used to, it neither handles nor accelerates as well, and there's no mad adrenaline rush when you put your foot down on boost. I don't wanna be unfair, cos for its size and weight it performs very well, but I certainly didn't get out of the car after driving it thinking it was one of the best, most special cars ever made, as I had done previously.

I must sound like I hated the car, but that's not true, it's just not the car that the 'myth' had me believe. I'm sure with an extra 150 ponies, the car would be a different animal, but then so would most cars..

So to summise, if you are expecting a car with the raw ability of a nice Evo or Scoob, then like me you might be dissapointed. But, if you want a fast GT car, with excellent handling in it's class, and with high tuning potential then this is the car fo you.

Good luck,

Mart.
Old 25 May 2004, 01:05 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

Deffo get one but make sure you have plenty of spare cash...
They are wonderful cars,better than anything else I have owned.I have had one for 2 years now and the power is upto 481bhp on a lowish boost.Jun cams go in next month along with bigger injectors so I reckon 550bhp,That is considered a mild power output.At 481 it goes like stink so god knows what 550 will feel like.
Downside is they cost alot to repair and tuning although 600bhp can be had without engine mods prices for parts are a joke...Another negative is the market is starting to flood with cheap non GTR skylines so insurance prices will probably rocket due to more owners over here.
Best thing you can do is drive one and see for yourself but be warned a standard gtr will probably seem slow and sluggish but they never stay standard for long...
Old 25 May 2004, 01:08 PM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

I drove a standard R34 Vspec once.

Excellent build, very heavy and solid.

Not very roomy, small boot. Seats a bit like bulldog clips for people - they expand a bit and really wedge you in. Fat people need not apply. Vspec suspension combined with the gripping seats means you can feel your organs rattling around over rough roads while your body feels like part of the car

Power delivery is smooth and controlled and pretty muted compared to a classic sti. Not much go at low revs off boost even compared to the scooby - at least that's how it feels. Hard to tell whether they just hide their power well or are that much slower due to the weight. No doubt they make gains on the Impreza at high speeds.

The bomb proof build and great looks mean I do still fancy one but I think it's quite a different animal.

Not in a position to comment on the handling.
Old 25 May 2004, 05:02 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've just gone from Supe to Skyline, I'd write a load but I already have to Martin above so perhaps he'd like to paste it if he's still got it

LOve my R33 GTR, its on lowered sus and quite hard but its corners something silly, though they do need a few mods really, leaving stock is a bit underwhelming.

Heres mine:

Now with colour coded lip and clear indicators (which cost $$$$$ ). Must take some more photos!
Old 25 May 2004, 10:30 PM
steve ETHERIDGE
Scooby Newbie

Neil,

Hows that 3 wheeled skyline doing?-Hopefully your up for tommorow night at Marks?

Steve
Old 26 May 2004, 02:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Should still be there mate! Although now I've split a fecking boost hose killing an Integra Type R this morning so I have to get that sorted, otherwise I'll probably be on the pushbike! LOL!