Pug 205 GTi 1.9 vs MkII Golf GTi 16v

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2004, 04:45 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pug 205 GTi 1.9 vs MkII Golf GTi 16v

Sorry for another 205 gti thread...

I am considering a cheapish fun car as I have to accept that the mint X reg low mileage black Integra Type R [AC & Alarm] that I desperately want to buy (not from a dealer with silly prices btw) is most likely gonna turn up after the summer or maybes even next year!

I'm also gonna be returning to work in a few weeks so more of a reason to get a motor...

I'm looking to spend up to £1,200 on either of the above, which will be the best buy (in terms of reliability/costs etc) both seem pretty similar in terms of performance, age and insurance costs and i'm not too bothed about mileage as long as the condition is good and there's plenty of history. I've never owned an second hand car before so will my best bet be finding one that has recently had an engine rebuild/parts replaced (clutch/brakes/exhaust/cambelt/tyres etc) ???

I'd really like either a standard 205GTi 1.9 non-cat with PAS in Miami/Charcoal/Sorrento or a standard/lightly modded MkII Golf GTi 16v with PAS?, big bumpers in dark grey/green/blue.

Will i get anything half decent for the amount i have to spend ??

Last thing I want to do is spend that much on a car that needs loads more money spent on it as i'm looking at about £7/800 for insurance aswell. When I eventually get my ITR I may also keep as a second car if possible.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Cheers

Cheddar Bob
Old 21 May 2004, 09:44 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

ive owned both and prefer the 16v golf. Although an mi16 pug 205 is better still!

Sean
Old 21 May 2004, 11:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Peugeot - far better drivers car, almost second to none for fun factor, and no slower than a 16v Golf either

In fact I think the Leon Cupra driver tonight was surprised that up to 80 before braking for roundabout he only got 1 car length and I bogged down the start
Old 22 May 2004, 11:22 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Pug everytime as I cant fit in Golf's for some reason.
Old 22 May 2004, 06:24 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 2 Pug 1.9s over the years and luv em to bits, Bit eggshell build quality but such a great car to drive. Just be carefull in the wet ;-)
Old 22 May 2004, 07:32 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Had 3 8v Mk2 GTi's, a 16v (bought for ex-bird) and two 1.9 GTi's. Loved 'em all.

Its the 205 for me every time. One of the all time great drivers car. Look at the Scoobynet following if you don't believe me.

But I have to admit that for your budget, I would sink my money into a Golf. Mainly because they do most of the mundane day-to-day jobs better for most of the time, whilst still keeping that 80's Merc feeling of indestructability and solidity. However in reality Pugs just FEEL flimsy: they are probably just as tough.

For traffic jams, commuting and trips to B&Q and the pub (ie 90% of your driving life) you would probably prefer the Golf. And I prefer the torquier 8v.

But get down the lanes, and there is NO contest whatsoever..
Old 22 May 2004, 08:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Olly, agree on the Golfs, had them all and prefer the 8 valve, however a nicely sorted MK2 is a good handler which is less likely to put you in a hedge, standard for standard the Pug is better but they are basically as hard and low as you would want to go for road use already, lower them further and they have zero suspension, unless of course you spend mega money on coil overs and stuff.

The Pug Doesnt feel as tough but I think the actual body is failry robust, just everything that is attached is made of cheese, contrary to what people think, he Golf's do rust, check under the placcy arch extensions.Dont for any reason buy a 5 door Golf as the shells are just too flexy and they look rubbish.
Old 22 May 2004, 09:15 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys, think i'd be happy with either car at the end of the day but a 8v Golf GTi may be another option, have to say that VW build quality is a major plus point compared to the Pug. My mate has two 8v Golf GTi's as he prefers them to 16valves also and he reckons i'd need slightly more mullah anyway for a nice 16v?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Golf GTi website/forum where i could get some more details on them. I've had a look at www.205gtidrivers.com and thats given me lots of info although can't view the forum at the minute.

Cheers
Old 23 May 2004, 06:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have a 205 and hadda golf a few years ago. IMHO they are both great cars and I would buy whichever one you can find the best example of.
Old 23 May 2004, 07:06 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

must say the golf as the only one of the two i have owned.
sold it a month and a bit ago and regretted it since.
great fun excellent handling and more power than the pug with
better build quality.
only problem is ur budget as i sold mine in ok nick 1992 full leather and lowered all round on konis also high lift cams and gas flowed head for 1800.

only yhing look for dodgy gear boxes!