Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 205 1.9 Gti

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 01:57 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pug 205 1.9 Gti

Hi all. Posting here as a I know a few of you have one of these.

And....... well I want one too! Am planning on rationalising my cars, and am going to be living in London full time, so a one nine it has to be. I've wanted one for years.

Would love to hear any advice re buying, especially a) places to look for a good'un and b) how much to pay. To be honest I want one of the best, standard, with no mechanical nightmares, but don't want to pay the rather 'adventurous' prices some are asking

Sould I go for a pre- or post-cat model? Sunroof, power steering? My gut tells me to get a non- power steered pre-cat with no sunroof.

Any info gratefully received.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:29 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

www.peugeot-gti.net

www.205gtidrivers.com

have a look on their for sale sections there are still quite a few nice ones around.

As for spec, it doesnt matter too much. The power steering is so heavy on mine it could almost pass as not being power steering. A CAT car can soon become a de-cat, and a sunroof shell is actually stiffer than a non sunroof, prior to contary belief.....

As to buying guides, its a case of looking till you find a good one, and if anything goes wrong its cheap as chips to fix

Couple of pics of my old french clutter that i love so much

happy hunting mate ...... oh and if it rattles, strip it and cage it till there is nothing left to rattle in it

gary

oh and £800 - £1000 gets a reasonable car ..... double that for a late minter or an Mi16 converted car

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 18 May 2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:44 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tractor
Hi all. Posting here as a I know a few of you have one of these.

And....... well I want one too! Am planning on rationalising my cars, and am going to be living in London full time, so a one nine it has to be. I've wanted one for years.

Would love to hear any advice re buying, especially a) places to look for a good'un and b) how much to pay. To be honest I want one of the best, standard, with no mechanical nightmares, but don't want to pay the rather 'adventurous' prices some are asking

Sould I go for a pre- or post-cat model? Sunroof, power steering? My gut tells me to get a non- power steered pre-cat with no sunroof.

Any info gratefully received.
If you're looking for one of the best, with no mechanical nightmares, you will probably have to look long and hard, because they are becoming a rarity. It's not necessarily the case, but generally, a mint example will be in the hands of someone who knows a thing or two about the cars, having restored it to that condition, so don't expect it to also come cheap.

Personally, pre-cat, no PAS, and a sliding sun-roof in good condition. Unless you don't want a s/r, but this will be harder to find still, since most cars have them.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:04 PM
OllyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Tractor,

I'm going the other way, just bought myself an MY02 WRX now the misses is nagging me to get rid of the pug! Thought i'd mention it just in case you were interested, i havent advertised it yet.
It's an '89 1.9 GTi in Black. Mi16 conversion with twin 45 Del'Ortos. It has done 87,000 miles, but only 5000 since a complete engine rebuild. It is in excellent condition, half leather seats recently recovered, oh and no power steering, but it does have a sunroof. Anyway if you are interested let me know i have got photos etc.

Olly
Old 18 May 2004, 03:13 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Hi all

I am in the same boat as Tractor and have decided to get a pug too.

Olly, after you have heard from Tractor could you send me pictures and detailed spec as well as your asking price please if you still have it.. Most appreciated. By the way I am not jumping the que here, obviously Tractor has first shout. Also, where in the country are you?

Cheers

Brett
Old 18 May 2004, 03:13 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Doh!

email: bc2@soton.ac.uk
Old 18 May 2004, 03:27 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

How much do you want for it Olly, may be interested and cash is available.

What was done in the engine rebuild and by whom?
Old 18 May 2004, 09:59 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Long wait then

I've had a sunroof and non-sunroof model, current has one and I love it in this weather, its very hard to tell the difference unless on track really giving it some! Mine current 1.9 Sorrento has PAS and its bloody superb, really heavy and weighty, almost non PAS but the assist is there when you really need it like very low speed maneouvering. PAS also has a quicker rack
Go for a non CAT, even if you remove the CAT the injection system/ecu and compression are still different so its not the same car as the "proper" 1.9!

Don't worry too much about spec, buy one thats nice Even if there are a few niggles they are usually well known and easily sorted

205gtidrivers.com is a good place to start (if you can register - they've had a few problems with the database) but there is still a couple of buying guides on the main site.

Happy hunting
Old 18 May 2004, 10:02 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Mine is sorrento too scoobyjawa ,......the best colour by far
Old 18 May 2004, 10:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Mine is sorrento too scoobyjawa ,......the best colour by far
Ah - someone else with taste It certainly is mate Miami is a close second (just so DW doesn't feel left out )
Old 18 May 2004, 10:06 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

I want one as well

Im going to have a sneaky bid on this if it stays reasonable:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...479050457&rd=1

NO-ONE ELSE BID ON THIS CAR ITS MINE!!

(i feel like a jealous boyfriend)

Last edited by matt85; 18 May 2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: computer went t*ts up!!
Old 18 May 2004, 10:13 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Miami is cool but sorrento is rarer i think ..... sorry DW ....
Old 18 May 2004, 10:15 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

You're all wrong. Graphite grey.
Old 18 May 2004, 10:46 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, just checked out that on Ebay. Up to £1850 with 7 days to go?

Was thinking of sticking my similar car in the trader for £1500 next week (been threatening to sell for a while, head at last ruled heart, moving house and RX8 on order decided it )

Might have changed my mind now.

Old 18 May 2004, 11:30 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Would definately get power steering! Mine was a nightmare when parking in tight spaces. The sunroofs are pretty cool but mine leaked in heavy rain. (but the one on my 309 didn`t). Sold mine with short t+t for £500 and really wished I hadn`t now. Oh, and Gutmann Pugs right, strip it and cage it `cause it WILL rattle. Mega fun cars for the money though, you won`t regret it.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

That cars been for sale quite some time Olly, its also had a respray which puts me off straight away. Theres a thread about it on the 205 forums, not a bad car at all, but I don't think worth that much.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:50 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Olly
Was thinking of sticking my similar car in the trader for £1500 next week
I've already offered you £1500 for it for the wife, on several occasions & you talked her out of it You told her it's not a car that girls like
Old 19 May 2004, 07:51 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

This one sounds nice ....a little over priced but a nice sounding car

Reluctantly but really for sale, get a load of this:

Reg May 91(H). I bought it in Aug 2002, the cleanest and straightest I could find, spent time and money sorting the niggles. Used every day for more than 6 months but now my weekend car. Thought about “dropping in” an Mi16 or stripping for track days, but it’s too good for that. Standard spec (inc PAS) apart from one or two bits. Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser, remote locking from transponder key

Not “mint/showroom/concours” but a clean and honest car, not the usual ropey old shonker you often see. Pretty much everything has been replaced or overhauled along the way:

Engine: this is where most of the previous owners money went. Now 166K, rebuilt around 93K. Full bottom end job with all new parts, head skim and flywheel refacing, cambelt less than a year ago. Pulls strongly through all the gears, dyno printout 120+bhp. Sl weep from the gearbox, easier to keep topping up than strip the whole box
Fuel: 28mpg on Optimax, more on a gentle run (!). Slightly rough idle, esp cold but they are all like that. Induction kit binned and back to standard. New fuel pump relay and filter, SH fuel pump
Exhaust: standard apart from stainless Magnex backbox, noisier than stock but won’t rust away
Electrics: new battery, recon dizzy, new dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads. Bits of wiring, corroded connectors and so on sorted out
Brakes: good discs and braided lines all round, SH rear caliper and new handbrake cable
Wheels: 4 good standard alloys, spare a bit scruffy but still in its cage. 4 good Pirelli 195/50s, spare is 185/55, locking nuts
Suspension: had been dropped 60mm but knackered, brand new Bilstein “streetline” kit (30mm lower than stock and a bit stiffer). Brand new rear beam with all fixings. SH track rod and new track rod end for last MOT. Factory power steering
Interior: green carpets, green check trim, black half leather, slightly worn on drivers seat bolster. Factory sunroof. Standard speakers and wiring, I’m keeping the MD player
Body: a few stone chips and small marks, no rust or dents, small piece missing from NS front spoiler and an araldite crack (rabbit I think)

I reckon that’s about everything. Price £2000 negotiable, but I won’t be giving it away, as it's less than I've spent since buying it

Sorry my pic was too big, but I can email if you like. Ring 01260 276377 or 09706 920299 PM or drjhill@lineone.net
Old 19 May 2004, 08:35 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys but you're all wrong about the best colour. The very best colour for a 205 is obvisouly steel grey - even rarer than Sorrento or Miami, followed closely in second by miami

Oh and defo get PAS, mine has it and its great

Think its time for some pics to inspire people

Old 19 May 2004, 09:31 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

NIce looking car DW ... always nice to see the odd pic or two of it.

I think its fair to say that even after 20 years the 205GTi is still a damned good looking car wouldnt you agree?

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 19 May 2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 19 May 2004, 09:44 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

SORRENTO!!

Old 19 May 2004, 10:02 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Did all the sorrento's have a qtr badges taken off and the rear reflector colour coded?
Old 19 May 2004, 10:03 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Gary, you got any pics of the SD roll cage looking in from the back?
Old 19 May 2004, 10:16 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Did all the sorrento's have a qtr badges taken off and the rear reflector colour coded?
No, that was my meddling
Old 19 May 2004, 10:22 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

EX Pug,

well funnily enough mine is the same. Mine was like that when it left the showroom though. Infact the last picture shows it how it was externally when it came off the forecourt including the wheels, spoiler, black lights, twin front lights, Koni's etc etc.
Old 19 May 2004, 11:33 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

DW - Steel may be rarer, but doesn't mean its better, so sorrento is still first and miami still second

As for 20 years old and still good looking, completely agree, the car has superb lines and has dated with finess compared to other cars from the same era - think XR3 and Nova.

Wayhey, another gratuitous pics thread:

Old 19 May 2004, 11:49 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Is no-one else going to the Northern Big One 2 in their Pug? Would be good to get all the Scoobynet 205 owners in a mini sub group
Old 19 May 2004, 11:57 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

best pics i have DW

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 19 May 2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:18 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Is no-one else going to the Northern Big One 2 in their Pug? Would be good to get all the Scoobynet 205 owners in a mini sub group
Bit far for me I'm afraid mate
Old 19 May 2004, 12:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cheers Gary, just wanted to see if they went into the floor or the rear arches.

Neil, ya big wuss, its not that far

Quick Reply: Pug 205 1.9 Gti