Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

citroen ax 1.0

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 10:01 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default citroen ax 1.0

got a year out from uni so i need to save pennies so ill be making the scooby a weekend car and need a very cheap weekday car for going to and from work. after checking insurance quotes out etc, i have come down to the citroen ax 1.0 (insurance group 3, 45mpg) so i was wondering if anyone here has/had one. main question is how far does a tank of petrol take you? and whats the cost of a full tank? not worried about looks comfort etc as its just an a to b car.

Borich
Old 17 May 2004, 10:34 AM
matlow
Scooby Regular

thats mad, you take a year out from uni and get a job, then can't afford to run your scoob. thats back to front surely!
whats changed since i went to uni that you can aford a scoob as a student.

not having a pop, just seems like i missed out somewhere
Old 17 May 2004, 10:40 AM
borich
Scooby Regular

got my degree, and im having a year out before i start my pgce, staying at uni with m8s not going home to live for a year, so i need a cheap runabout

Borich
Old 17 May 2004, 12:15 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well, my mate has just run me from Liverpool to Glasgow in one (900cc), he did 70-90 all the way, and it ran fine. It was quite comfortable, not very quick off the mark, but not bad at all! I think he used about £25 to get up here, which was a full tank.

I know you're not bothered about looks/performace, but the GTi is supposed to be very nippy, and handles like a go kart, however, there's a diesel version with all the GTi bits on, Volcane I think it's called, could be even cheaper to run!
Old 17 May 2004, 12:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The volcane was a 2.0 zx AFAIK there was no diesel with gt bits on.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:57 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

I used to have a G-reg AX GT-5 a few years ago for much the same reasons as you - a cheap runabout. It was a great little car, and they're a lot of fun. However, I would strongly recommend that you go for at least the 1.1 engine. Theres a world of difference between that and the 1.0. Every AX is cheap now, so price shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also, because most (if not all) 1.1s come with a 5-speed gearbox instead of the 4-speed in the 1.0, the fuel economy would probably be a bit better too. I can't imagine too much difference in insurance cost.

Finally, the model ando I think is refering to is the Furio, which had the GTi arch extensions and bumpers but with painted steel wheels. From memory I think that model was just done with the 1.1i but I could be wrong.

Chris
Old 18 May 2004, 12:11 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

There was also a 1.4i Furio
Old 18 May 2004, 12:59 AM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected
Old 18 May 2004, 01:24 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I run one to and from work each day and apart from needing the 5 speed box I can't fault it for what it is. If you get one of the later ones with single point injection and a cat make sure it passed its emissions test OK at the last M.O.T as that is the only thing that has given me problems but it has done 112K so the Cat could be getting a bit tired. Parts are pretty cheap, a set of pattern discs and pads was about £30.

Happy cheap motoring

Shane
Old 18 May 2004, 01:41 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

I've had 2.
First was a AX GT Sportif - excellant first "sports" car.
Second was my mums old 1.1L.
Both cheap as chips to run.
As mentioned b4 stay clear of the 1 ltrs - gutless wonders that they are.
Can't say I had many problems other than a blown head gasket on the GT (but I was young and thrashed the pants off it ).
Old 18 May 2004, 04:02 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My step-mum used to have a 1.4 diesel AX and it did 50mpg and went well for such a little motor, would sit at 90mph all day just sipping the juice and had leccy windows etc. and handled alright for a tin-foil econobox.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:47 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Oh and you're best trying to pick up a later facelift model, with the better interior. Should be a bit better screwed together than the early cars, most of which feel pretty tired by now.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:25 AM
ando
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Aha! Sorry for my lack of knowlege in matters of things AX, yeah my mate who drove me up was borrowing his girlfriend's AX, his one is a 1.1 (I guess he's got a thing about them), and he said on the way back the 1.1 had alot more poke, and he missed the 5th gear immensly

Still impressed with the little beast, even if it was a little guttless, it did a 900mile 'round trip without a hiccup!

If I wanted a cheap as chips car for arseing about in, (I do, but my mum want's something that looks less like a transformer to share with me!), I'd get an AX.

Oh one more thing, loads of little rattles, and HUGE cup holder things in the door, I could fit a large glass bottle of Irn Bru in them, impressive!