Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra SRI Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 07:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astra SRI Turbo

Well just got back from Brum - Went with our kid to pick up his 52plate Astra SRI Turbo - one of only 500 in the UK apprantly.
On the rare occasion up the M6 that he got to put his foot down, I have to say I was pleasantly suprised - decent bit o' kit!
For a relatively low pressure turbo (compared to my scoob) it packs a punch - he part ex'd for a 99 Vectra SRI 140 and the difference is well noted!

Nice

P
Old 14 May 2004, 07:43 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

When I switched company cars a few months ago I switched from a vecrta sri 140 to an astra gsi turbo, I think this is very similar to the sri turbo.

They have a surprising turn of speed considering...... Keep your foot in and the rev limiter extends to 7k or so lets you get way over 60 in 2nd and over the ton in third.
Old 14 May 2004, 07:44 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Yeah only 500 of these, slightly lower spec than GSi in terms of interior etc but still
Old 14 May 2004, 08:08 PM
Abdabz_Bro
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

My Bro is right, only 500 made. It was a market tester to see if there was a place for an astra turbo.

Prodrive designed the Front bumper and rear splitter and vxl provided the larger spoiler but when they went into GSi production vxl took over the whole kit. (and put recaro half leathers in.) The GSi also comes with climate control instead of just AirCon that mine has. Personally I can twiddle the dials myself

SRI-T ~190 BHP
GSI ~197 BHP

the difference is purely in the engine map.

Gotta say I an well chuffed. My veccy was nice but this is on another level.
Old 14 May 2004, 09:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I hear the new Astra (is it mk5?) will be having a VXR model which will supersede the GSi and is a roll on from Vauxhalls involvement and continued success in the BTCC.

Other models will also be getting a VXR version.

Simon.
Old 14 May 2004, 09:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ah here we go......

It's all systems go on Vauxhall's sporting front

VXR brand manager, Stuart Harris, told us: "The aim is to give each model in the range a proper high performance vehicle. When you get into one of the VXR cars there will be a sense of anticipation because they will look and feel very different even to the current highest performer in the range, the GSi.

"We have tuned the chassis to be more dynamic, to be more responsive and to give the driver more feedback. And the engines will all have their power boosted. One of Vauxhall's key values is driving excitement so each model from the Corsa up will have a VXR version."

Although each VXR model will have a price premium, it won't be as high as you might expect. For example, the price of a Vauxhall Monaro will increase from about £29,000 to £36,000, which isn't much bearing in mind it will virtually be a bespoke car. But if the price tags of the VXR models are still out of reach for some budgets, VXR-branded aftermarket parts like 18 or 19inch wheels, seats and bodykit will also be available to buy. "You'll never be able to turn your car into a VXR," said Harris. "But you will be able to modify it to your own taste, a bit at a time and make it really stand out from the crowd." Vauxhall really is heading into a new era of sporting excellence.
Old 14 May 2004, 11:25 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Was given one of these on loan through Subaru assistance last year when the P1 was having some jobs done. Great engine and agree it was reasonably quick in a straight line but show it a challenging twistie and I think I could have cycled up it quicker! Over a few bumpy corners the torque steer was bordering on the silly with the typical Vauxhall vague steering feel which made progress much less than exciting! Sorry guys but one of the worst cars I have ever driven - was quite glad to give it back
Old 16 May 2004, 10:07 AM
Abdabz_Bro
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by Glenn_R
Was given one of these on loan through Subaru assistance last year when the P1 was having some jobs done. Great engine and agree it was reasonably quick in a straight line but show it a challenging twistie and I think I could have cycled up it quicker! Over a few bumpy corners the torque steer was bordering on the silly with the typical Vauxhall vague steering feel which made progress much less than exciting! Sorry guys but one of the worst cars I have ever driven - was quite glad to give it back
Well duh, obviously it is not in the same league as a P1. However if this really is "one of the worst cars (you) have ever driven" then you must have had a cracking bunch of cars to drive. Was you first car a Scooby?

I think you smell of gopher's ********* and I challenge you to a handbag fight at 10 paces.
Old 16 May 2004, 11:04 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I have never driven a good performance vauxhall, The Calibra Turbo is old hat but that was one of the worst of the range that I had driven, the steering feel, weight was so so bad, but recently had a Astra 2.2 Coupe for a week and couldnt believe how poor the handling, steering and body control was....didnt inspire confidence at all and that was with decent Goodyear F1 rubber...
Old 18 May 2004, 01:09 AM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

how big is the engine on these? 190bhp's normal for normally aspirated 2ltr these days?
Old 18 May 2004, 08:26 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

As used in the Astra and the VX220 (and possibly others), this 2.2 Ecotec lump has 147bhp and 150 lb/ft. It's lighter than the 1.8 and 2.0 engines!
Old 18 May 2004, 03:49 PM
RobDon
Scooby Regular

Astra SRi turbo - 189BHP with permanent traction control that you CANNOT switch off, Astra GSi turbo, 197BHP with TC switch. Both 2.0 16v turbos. Remap sees around 235BHP from either. The GSi does not come with climate as standard, just air-con, but half-leather Recaros are standard, nice.

Best Astra was the 888 coupe, fettled by the Triple-eight BTCC team of course.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:52 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Midmotorsteve
how big is the engine on these? 190bhp's normal for normally aspirated 2ltr these days?
150bhp is about normal/high for a NA 2 litre.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think you smell of gopher's ********* and I challenge you to a handbag fight at 10 paces.
LOL 2nd ever post and he's entering into the spirit of things already......i like him
Old 18 May 2004, 10:28 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Default Handbag fight accepted!

I accept your challenge of handbags at dawn - bring on the torque steering, plie of Luton Dung! The only thing that smelt of Gopher's gonads was the front tyres of Vauxhall's best effort once it decided which direction it wanted to go in

And no I haven't always driven great cars but most of them were more fun than something whose traction control thinks it's best to cut all drive to the front wheels when you run over a pebble!
Old 19 May 2004, 05:13 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Glen - you've never actually driven one have you?

Not often I vouch for my brother - but the first two 0-60's came in at 6.5 and 6.3 with no discernable tourque steer at all??
Looks to me like you have read a write up by some toff at 'what car' and then picked on (and overkilled) one flimsy point.

Of course it no match for a P1 - my meagre 240bhp scooby classic isnt either - so rather than being such a tart, give me your P1 for free and in return I will let you have a drive of our kids scalding hatch so you can eat many servings of humble pie on this very forum!!

P
Old 19 May 2004, 05:23 PM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

The astra GSi has got a nice engine that's all you can say really everything else about it is rubbish as quoted from a magazine the chassis is made from used bog rolls.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:10 AM
Abdabz_Bro
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RobDon
Astra SRi turbo - 189BHP with permanent traction control that you CANNOT switch off,
Trueish, however you can fit a t/c switch for £30

I know it's not in the same league as a scooby, it's not got rallying heritage for a start. it's all about compromise and personal preference. This car is group 15. I prefer the look of it to a scooby (which after all is a boxy famlly saloon with hole in the bonnet) j/k. It only needs servicing every 12 months or 20,000 miles.It has air con and cruise control along with heated, leccy mirrors and electronic stability control, all that stuff. And the best thing of all. Hardly anyone knows what it's capable of. I am having so much fun it it. I can't wait to race a scooby, yes I will lose but the scooby owner will get a shock :-)

I'm off now, gonna find a mini cooper S forum to wind them up "woo ha ha ha ha" (that's an evil laugh)..
Old 21 May 2004, 07:33 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well I can tell you I certainly did have one - still have the mental scars! Supplied by Subaru assistance for approx 3 weeks of April 2003 whilst the Scoob was being fixed.

Must admit I was pleasantly surprised when they dropped it off as I was only expecting a Corsa or something. Whist I admit the car was more than competent with coping with a flat dry surface (probably where the 0-60 times were taken!) it sure as couldn't cope with a challenging road at all - not something you should expect from a so-called performance car!

For example one of the roads I take to work certainly is that - twisty, very bumpy with a number of off camber corners. Its a good challenge for any car to see how fast you can drive down there and I have taken most cars I have owned down it. Each time I attempted to drive the SRi hard each bump caused the car to understeer and the front wheels spin as the boost came in, forcing the traction control to cut power just when you needed it (not much fun mid corner!) and forcing me to back off for fear of ending up in a hedge. This made being able to drive it hard virtually impossible and progress a lot slower than 190bhp should be

Now I'm not even comparing it to the P1 as they are totally different cars (however for the record the P1 feels comfortable on this road about 30mph faster than the SRi started losing it!) but even cars like the Mini Cooper or 2.0 Focus Zetec I owned went quicker down this road than the SRi - and were a lot more fun too

Sorry guys I wanted to like this car and maybe with a decent traction system - or even better non at all - maybe I would have
Old 21 May 2004, 09:09 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

I drive the Astra Coupe BTCC 888. It is a proper all out racer. This is the best handling Astra and will take any corner with ease. It was built by the Triple Eight racing team and it does go. It just sticks to the road due to the handling and setup. Shes a real beauty.

Last edited by JonathanWR1; 21 May 2004 at 09:12 PM.