Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Re-spray and re-trim for a 205.....

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 03:09 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-spray and re-trim for a 205.....

Does anbody know how much i would be looking at for the above?

The re-spray will be either cherry red or miami blue, depending on the car i buy and the re-trim will be back to the standard 1.9 half-leather interior (or full leather if i can get a good deal)

Also, does anybody know of reputable body shops/trimmers (preferably) in the north-east that dont charge the earth for this?

Thanks.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:33 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Matt, dont buy the parts from a dealer.......Go onto the pug forums and you will pick up an interior for next to nothing. I sold my FULL leather seats for £30 and threw in the rest of the interior for good luck. Loads of people get shot of them coz they strip the cars for track use.
Cant help with the re-spray though im afraid.

www.peugeot-gti.net
www.205gtidrivers.com
Old 05 May 2004, 07:15 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint price isn't really gonna be dictated just by the car and the colour. it depends on loads of things, condition of body under original paint, laquer and finish you chose, how much prep you do yourself and therefore what you replace when you re-build it! its a shame to get a car re-painted then build it with the same 15year old bits that came off!

you could find it wants welding or new wings etc once all the paints been stripped off.

With interiors try to get some 306 gti-6 leather and make it fit, or 206 stuff. nothing on a 205 is that hard to do some im sure the seats and runners can be made to match up. its getting difficult to find mint second hand leather now especially drivers seats. don;t know about re-trimming, never done it..
Old 06 May 2004, 10:37 AM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

A proper re-trim would be well into 3 figures - even if you could duplicate the original fabrics/carpet etc - and you may find it doesn't look original. As said above, better to buy used Gti interior in good nick.
Respray can cost any number you think of depending on the quality & how much is removed (ie glass & trim should come out, engine out??). If you are changing the car's colour the cost ramps up for a proper job cos of door shuts, under bonnet etc

If you are trying to create an original 1.9 Gti it would be far cheaper/easier to buy one - there's still a few nice ones around.
Old 06 May 2004, 02:45 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Yeh, basically im after a *decent* condition 205. Mechanically sound but not too bothered about the body.

I reckon between me and my Dad we can do nearly all of the prep work. He used to spray aeroplanes so im assuming he knows what hes on-about and im sure he knows someone who can do it at mates rates. Only reason im asking is because hes currently away for a while. Looking at maybe £500-700 for a re-spray- really not sure how much they are if im honest. The car shouldn't need *too* much prep work hopefully, and it will be painted the original colour (looking at miami blue if i can find one!!!)

As for the re-trim i want full leather if possible, looking at about £600 maximum??? Again, im really not too clued up price-wise!!

And also a new red carpet as well. I dont have a clue how i would go about getting one of them! Any advice?

I realise its going to cost an arm and a leg to do all this but ive always wanted to do it to a car like this and i figure i may as well do it to a 205 before they disappear altogther. Plus i like the idea of doing it all myself because its not going to be about the money for me because i wouldn't care if i ended up with a mint one.

I have had a quick look on the owners clubs and there looks to be some decent stuff on there so fingers crossed i can find one

Funds permitting its going to end up with............

full leather
re-spray
powder-coated wheels
full exhaust/manifold/filter
konis
gti-6 brake conversion
Mi16 conversion (insurance permitting)
cat1 alarm/immob
neon washer jets
MAX POWER sun-strip

(sorry ignore the last two )

excluding the cost of the car do you think this can all be done for 3k?

(And I also apologise for briefly hi-jacking my own thread again )
Old 06 May 2004, 03:29 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Matt I payed £1,700 for my Gutmann 205. Some would say thats too much but I dont think so. She has every receipt from new and is a full service history cracker of a car.

I have gone the other way and stripped it bare for track use....

Working through the bills its cost me another £1500 ish to get it where it is now.

To Mi16 it would cost a fair few quid again, depending where the engine comes from and the spec you turn it into ...

I would say that £3K is probably a bit low but you might get reasonably close I suppose.

The only question I would ask is why Mi16 it and then use standard seats etc? Why not go the whole hog and cage and bucket seat it? It will work out at least as cheap as leather?
Old 06 May 2004, 07:13 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Yeh, i sort of agree with the cage and buckets thing.

What i will probably end up doing is converting it back to mint standard(ish ), then drive it around like that for a year or so, then when my insurance company allows it, convert it to an Mi16 and strip it. I may even buy an Mi16 already converted if i can find a decent one but considering i have spent every hour of every day for the past 3 weeks looking for a nice standard 205 i think its going to be difficult!

Saying that, there is a nice one on Ebay at the minute for £1900..........

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2004, 10:07 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

standard ones are out there you just gotto look. but if your pulling it to bits and replacing most of it then it doesn't matter whats on it, you just put back on what you want.

when buying 205s (and ive had plenty of them) I always buy on the condition of the body and paint. the mechanical stuff is very easy to replace and easy to get hold of. If they need paint/body work then they have probably been crashed and repaired at some point. avoid these if you can, get a straight one.

but then i don't do body work so changing a few bottom arms, a clutch, cyl head and anything else doesn't worry me too much but id have to pay to get say the bonnet repainted.

you can do an Mi16 conversion for the cost of the engine only if you do it yourself. i normally drop in a clutch, water pump, belts, gaskets etc and do the stem seals if its got big miles so you know your fitting a decent one. (so a few quid on top but money well spent) Its a very straight forward conversion to do especially once you've done it a few times!
Old 07 May 2004, 09:09 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
(looking at miami blue if i can find one!!!)
Like this one? My Mi16, not for sale though. Has cost me £2500 so far, but needs a full engine rebuild, so factor in another £1k for that

Old 07 May 2004, 09:25 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that I have a set of half leather from my old 205, ile have to check the garage though. if its there you can have it for £50. it was in great condition if i remember right. cant rememeber if i sold it or not

mail me.

jamo
Old 07 May 2004, 12:03 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

205s rock

Standard ones are about - I picked one up last year (ok had a K&N 57i), I've added a BB and quickshift but thats it!

Old 09 May 2004, 02:46 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

ARGH! I want one of these cars!!!!!

Where are they all?

And why wont anybody sell one to me?!?!?
Old 09 May 2004, 08:51 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/
http://www.205challenge.com/

Have a look at the forums on these sites and especially the for sale sections.

Good 205s are readily available if you know where to look!! they are a very good little car for the money. With a few pounds spent in the right place they can be very hard to keep up with, on road, track or forest!!