Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RenaultSport Megane 225

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2004, 08:43 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RenaultSport Megane 225

Had a drive of one today for over an hour and a half and was mighty impressed. The interior is nicely put together if a bit mono coloured, with nice leather. The ride is very supple on the cruise but corners extremely well. The car pulls extremely well with the traction control holding the wheelspin to a minimum without being too intrusive and allowing the wheels to lose traction but then reigning things back just as hell is about to be let loose. The downside of 225 horsepower through the front wheels is nearly always going to result in torquesteer and the megane was torque steering but was never dodgy and even on bumpy unclassified roads never became scary.
To sum up this car would quite easily worry my 02 wrx and even in the wet due to probably lighter weight felt just as if not more nimble in the corners and very quick in a straight line too, only downside is the price of £19500 and possible high front tyre wear resulting in big bills for 18" tyres!!
Forgot to add, the car has Brembo brakes and they are fantastic!!
Gary

Last edited by jaf01uk; 27 April 2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: To add brakes bit
Old 27 April 2004, 09:54 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

have you read the evo test of this car with the cheaper seat leon? they don't dislike the renault but prefer the seat.
Old 27 April 2004, 11:11 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

There is a more focused Cup(stripped etc.) version coming out this year, geared more toward the enthusiast!!!
Old 27 April 2004, 11:21 PM
dogboy1
Scooby Regular

Talking

I read the review in Evo and it seems Renault are on a roll at the moment. Personally i thought it looked a little wierd for my taste but each to their own. (Its the back end i find hard to get used to.....) The review certainly looked upon it favourably because it compared it to a seat leon cupra r and said it was at least equal in terms of speed. Quite a feat as the leon is one of the most underated cars you can buy for 18k.

DOg.
Old 27 April 2004, 11:24 PM
dogboy1
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry Proper Charlie i only just read your post.....great minds think alike eh.. Yeah they said the seat just about sneaked it overall but the renault was a serios contender with a fair ammount of quality.
Old 28 April 2004, 12:28 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I hadn't read anything about the car at all, I got a newsletter from Reno as I bought a couple new ones ages ago inviting me to drive it so I thought it would be rude not to Need to have a drive of the Seat although I find the VW/Audi/Seat cars a bit sparce and hard seats,
Gary
Old 28 April 2004, 12:43 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I took out a cupra r for 3 hours on my own, I did not stop smiling, it really shifts, and it's got loads of torque, so there is no turbo lag, same engine as the tt. It's a nice fwd chassis, still get the rear end out which is always nice. It wheel spinned alot though even in third, without meaning too. So you'll get through alot of tyres.

I do really like Renaults, but I think the build quality will be better in the seat than the renault personally, although I havne't actually driven the 255 so can't really comment on that. Did read the evo article though.

Personally I would get a cupra, they look wicked in black very nice cabin, real VW quality feel about them.
Old 28 April 2004, 12:47 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

PS you can get a nearly new cupra very cheap too, might as well let someone else deal with the depreciation, still have warranty etc. Test it, think you'll really like it...
Old 28 April 2004, 09:21 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well, this might be a clincher -

I've just spotted the Megane 225 on the www.buymynewcar.co.uk web site for an amazing £15,499.00 on the road. Saving is £4,001.00 on UK list of £19,500.00.

Delivery Time is 8 weeks, and they ARE UK supplied!
Old 28 April 2004, 10:34 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

I have to admit to liking this Renault! it's that ****!! reminds me of something?
Oh yes don't forget the washing up dear!!!!!
dave