Thumbs up Autocar RS3

Looking good.
£35k.
350horses and luxury to boot.
Old 21 April 2004, 01:41 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of money for such a wee little car though....and sure hope Audi can sort out driving dynamics ...my S4 and S3 were both dissapointingly dull to steer and brake...regardless of how much power they had. Still, S3 was better than my bugeye as a complete package...I did like the look of the S3 Avant in Autocar too
Cman
Old 21 April 2004, 01:41 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Why do the manufacturers always take so long to bring out the VERY hot versions?

Examples, RS4, RS6, Golf R32, P1, etc etc

All brought out near the end of the model life of that version. I guess volumes are so slow by that stage, it helps prop up a flagging end-of-life model.

Shame really. You really want the HOT versions available at birth so that you have the fastest NEW model on the street. Mercedes seem to have it right - SL55 AMG for example was available not long after new shape SL came out.
Old 21 April 2004, 01:58 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From what I've heard on other Audi sites this is all complete hearsay from Autocar. People with contacts at Audi say no RS3. They haven't even announced an S3 yet.....
Old 21 April 2004, 08:07 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
From what I've heard on other Audi sites this is all complete hearsay from Autocar. People with contacts at Audi say no RS3. They haven't even announced an S3 yet.....
Yeah thats what someone told me, nothing offically from Audi? But the artist impression on the front and in the mag looked cool.

If the Autocar article is true, it quotes a target weight of 1560kg!!...and no doubt that will be closer to 1600kg when released. 350bhp may be awesome for , what is surposed to be a fairly small car, but with that weight and 4wd it will not be any quicker than an M3 once moving. Still quick though. And with a hefty price of £35k, which again will probably go up, for a smallish car, i'm afraid to say that it will be competing in the exec market with cars like the M3 and most will opt for that becuase of its better size and image.
Old 22 April 2004, 06:01 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_Fart
Still, S3 was better than my bugeye as a complete package...
I've just handed my bugeye back. After three Audi's, it was the biggest pile of crap ever to grace my driveway. The run about 10 year old Astra that has replaced it is in better condition

It's kind of strange, but as a replacement I was looking at another Audi, or an STi8. With the STi, it does exactly what it says it does, whereas my WRX didn't actually do anything that well at all - except give me headache on the motorway due to the road noise

What really made my mind up was the bubbles of rust I found on the roof a couple of weeks back. On a three year old car, that is just plain disgusting.

One Audi now on order. Okay, it might not handle like an STi, but for 99% of my driving (and I would guess many others) I wouldn't notice anyway. Brakes and Steering comments are sure to follow, but I'll adjust to those in a few miles and it's not something that bothers too much anyway.