Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

D1 Drifting championships yesterday, my progress.

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2004, 07:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool D1 Drifting championships yesterday, my progress.

Well, I've been practicing hard since the embarrasing episode last year with the autocar sideways challange and now it was time to put it to the test.
the 1st round of the UK D1 drifting championships had arrived and I had everything ready. My crash helmet and brand new race suit were in the car, along with a spare set of tyres for the drive home.
I arrived at 9am just in time for the driver briefing. I snuck in late and signed on. I had neglected to pay in advance so left the signing on office 100quid poorer. Next time I will pay in advance and pay only 70.
However it was all worth it once we got on track. No wetting down this time, the track remained dry as with the other drifting championships round the world. if it rained then so be it, if not, well we werent gonna get any help in that department.
The car was all ready and I was in the drivers seat with my suit and lid on. We were held at Bridge by the friendly marshal who chatted to us till it was our turn. For the three hours practice we had the use of the national touring car circuit which let us drift round copse, maggots and becketts too. For the competiton it was limited to priory, brooklands and luffield.
Eventually my time came and my first practice run showed me a few things. Namely I had to get used to third gear drifting. I used the feint drift to provoke the car and surprisingly managed my best drift round copse. It was a surprise as that corner had always intimidated me and it was the easiest to drift around. The rest of the course was improved upon during subsequent practice runs, exentually getting to lay down the course quite well. The only bend I didnt try it on with was maggots and with good reason too.
Eventually it claimed a victim in the form of gossy's car, losing its back end and going into the concrete backwards at 80. Thankfully he and his co pilot were unharmed, and even the car was sound enough to keep drifting after he had pulled he metal back for the wheels to clear the arches.

after lunch and a quick break to refuel, we got to the competition. One more practice run was allowed to be aquainted with the competiton course and then the amateur comp started. I'm not sure how many started the comp, but it was whittled down to the final 5 after one run.
I was part of this and so was gossy (They seemed to like him ) after my best ever run. third gear through priory and luffield with brooklands getting the top end of second and a scandanavian flick to initiate.

The final for the amateur class went less well for me. Into priory and a lacklustre scandanavian flick left me understeering all the way through

I aquitted myself respectfully on the rest of the course, but I was under no illusions. The trophy went to the deserved winner. However I believe that if I had done a similar run to the one that got me into the final I would have been up for some silverware, but the only thing I went away with was the lesson to be more consistant in my drifting.
The rest of the day was taken up with watching the pro competition (Which was in a different league let me tell you. these guys are VERY good.) and for the first time ever in the uk, a twin drift comp. Drifting side by side is very difficult and as such I was not going to enter, but gossy did with a bloke called nick in an S13 drift truck. They were outclassed by the option motorsport boys, but there is no shame in saying that. Here is a pic of Gossy and Nick going for it.
[img]www.paulcoles.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/d1rd1/twin.jpg[/img]
All in, it was a top day out. I'll stick my neck out and say it wasnt worth 100 but I'll just pay in advance next time and only pay 70
And drifting is the future. Oh yes.
astraboy.
Old 12 April 2004, 07:17 PM
wrxsmo
Scooby Regular

It's certainly an art & is just gonna get bigger & bigger !

A friend of mine (Mitch) was there & said he had a great time, I cant wait to get my hands on an old S13 have a go myself soon
Old 12 April 2004, 07:33 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just getting the twin drift pic working

Old 12 April 2004, 07:59 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

cheers dude
I actually forgot to mention this part, but yes, I had the time of my life all day yesterday and was drifting in the company of many friendly people.
astraboy.
Old 12 April 2004, 08:50 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

When is the next one?
Old 12 April 2004, 09:54 PM
Mitch C
Scooby Regular

May 23rd. Get down there
Old 13 April 2004, 09:25 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We were there also, and the team drift was superb! The difference between the amateurs and the professionals though was pretty vast, but hey, well done on all of the amateurs for having the ***** to get up there and do it.

I think Gossy certainly won the crowd over in his first run of the competition (not the accident during the morning ), but unfortunately for him, the car was too badly damaged to get anymore real drift action happening.

Serious amounts of respect go to the drivers for sticking their necks and cars on the line for the team drift. The thought of following somebody around a bend at 80 mph or so is fine when done going forwards in a normal manner, but attempting to be as close as possible to the car in front and doing it sideways is just silly!
Old 13 April 2004, 11:07 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

OMG i was there too (will be having a go once RX7 is back in one piece) so it was Gossy i think the reason everyone liked him was that that there's always an appeal with a raving loonatic ment in a nice way it was most entertaining to watch & respect due to pulling it back to a vaguely car shape
Whose was the newage scooby then? ah bugger cant get pikky thing to work i'll upload it later......
Si
Old 13 April 2004, 12:46 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

think that's the scoob & er ouch:

Si
Old 13 April 2004, 10:20 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Gossy, sideways, breaking cars - who would believe that