Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A4 1.8T Quattro compared to a scoob

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 08:35 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 1.8T Quattro compared to a scoob

Changing my wrx bugeye soon, other than a new wrx the only other car i fancy is an A4 1.8T quattro. The Audi will obviously need chipping and the suspension sorting to get it anywhere near the scooby, but has anyone else done this, or comments

Sorry if this has been done to death, but no search
Old 23 March 2004, 10:49 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Why does it need 'chipping'? Whats the point of buying a car you dont actually want unless its greatly improved? It messes with warranty and can devalue the car dramatically...... If you want a classy upmkt car buy an Audi, if all you want is speed and handling buy a Caterham.
Old 23 March 2004, 10:56 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

There was some discussion on here a while ago about Skoda Octavia estates, which have the Haldex 4wd system. 150bhp as standard but a range of upgrades to take to 180bhp+.

You get all the Audi mechanicals etc, in a much cheaper package.
Old 23 March 2004, 11:00 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

A4 doesn't used haldex though, it uses the Torsen system.
Old 23 March 2004, 12:30 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichWalk
Why does it need 'chipping'? Whats the point of buying a car you dont actually want unless its greatly improved? It messes with warranty and can devalue the car dramatically...... If you want a classy upmkt car buy an Audi, if all you want is speed and handling buy a Caterham.
Rich,

Don't most people on this board buy a scooby then mod it as they are not happy with it as standard?
I used to have a Passat 1.8T sport, which was nice, but lacked the power and handling i wanted, so i got the scoob. I love the scooby, but i do most of my driving on the motorway and only get to utilise the fun bit of the scoob for about 20% of the time. The MPG of the scoob is a killer, and although the 1.8T MPG still isn't out of this world its far more respectable. I don't want to drop from 230bhp down to 160 as i'm sure i will get very bored very quickily and I still want 4 wheel drive again (bristish weather).

I already have a 7 replica and need something to tow it with
Old 23 March 2004, 04:15 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Audi made a few 180 bhp A4 Quattro, a guy at work has one. Its nice enough and has some go, no room in the back at all though.
Old 23 March 2004, 08:26 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Changing my wrx bugeye soon, other than a new wrx the only other car i fancy is an A4 1.8T quattro. The Audi will obviously need chipping and the suspension sorting to get it anywhere near the scooby, but has anyone else done this, or comments (
It depends what your priorities are really.

I found the 'proper' quattro system on my A4's to be about the grippiest and safest 4wd cars I've owned (a lot). The current 1.8T engine (VVT from 2001 I think) is massively upgradeable, so don't worry about performance. In terms of handling, the WRX will retain 'that extra 10%' over an upgraded A4, so long as you know that from the start and can live with that for the other benefits the A4 has in its armoury.

My Skud 4x4 is more fun to drive than both my A4Q's were even though it comes on stilts as standard. I would also recommend Jabbasport over the previous companies I have used for remap work, which includes AmD, Superchips and RSD-Oettinger. 150 to 220bhp out of the box, and there's no need to be sceptical about reliability etc.