Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

ax diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 11:17 PM
borich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ax diesel!

thinking of getting a cheap runabout car as my scooby is being used a lot and im running a lot of miles up on it and its all urban driving so i would rather have a cheap car for urban driving and save my scooby for the sunday drive looking at insurance, running cost and cost of car i came across the citroen ax diesel. the figures state 62mpg and its very low insurance group 400 quid tpft with tescos, and i have seen a lot of 93-94 cars for sale with good milage for 500-600, has anyone got any experience of these? im not fused about 0-60 or anything, its a pure cheap way of getting two and from work, any feed back etc, how far on a full tank etc,

Borich
Old 11 March 2004, 06:54 AM
wrx_paul
Scooby Regular

Smile

Borich,

I ran an AX diesel for 4 years for a daily commute between Derby and Birmingham. It had the 1.4 engine and averaged between 65 and 70 mpg (driving steady). It was about 10 years ago, but running costs were 4p per mile including fuel, insurance, servicing and depreciation - you can't get much cheaper than that. Servicing is easy - I changed the oil every 6K without fail (45 minute job), cambelts also need changing every 60K, but again it is only a 2 hour job and can be done with the aid of a Haynes manual.

Items to look out for:-
- water leaks from the engine block. The block is aluminium (I think) and any water leaks are a sign of corrosion around the seals and are difficult to stop.
- check the heater works - I had to replace the matrix on mine.

It is reasonably comfortable to drive (I am 6 foot), but at speeds above 70 the steering starts to feel a bit vague.

There are better cars around, but the AX has to be the most economical.

I hope that helps!

Paul
Old 11 March 2004, 12:11 PM
Clett
Scooby Regular

I thought about modifying one once to get it over 150mpg!

http://www.benerridge.freeserve.co.uk/economy4.htm

Cool car, held the Guinness round UK mpg record for some time (at just over 100mpg).
Old 12 March 2004, 08:54 AM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up ax

owned one for 2 years got 66miles to the gallon easy to service and maintain.got to be one of the most economical cars around.i would buy another if saving money was a priority.