Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Saxo VTR or Fiesta Zetec S

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2004, 10:46 AM
richmilly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All

I am 20 and looking at buying my first car for myself! I have worked out insurance and basically i want a car with a bit of performance, first of all looked at all the obvious options such as 205 1.6 and 106 Rallye etc

However the insurance for these is nearly as expensive as newer cars, and is nearly as expensive as the car would be to buy!

So, i have narrowed down my search to a Saxo VTR or a Fiesta Zetec S.

These cars are both newer and i can afford the insurance and hopefully being newer i will not face any problems with them for a while (touch wood!!)

So everyone, who can give me their views on these cars, and offer me some ideas to which to buy, handling, everyday use, interior etc

Thanks In Advance

Rich
Old 02 February 2004, 11:12 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If Citroen are still doing there free insurance then its a total no-brainer as they usually give you a full no claims discount at the end of the year (assuming you don't claim!). I got this on my VTS and the insurance renewal was so low I was able to get a scooby

Performance wise they both handle well and are very similar in a straight line with the VTR having a slight advantage. Drive both and decide I say although remember you'll get murdered by residuals buying a new or nearly new VTR.
Old 02 February 2004, 11:23 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd take the Zetec-S - cracking handling car by all accounts - and well, I wouldn't want a Saxo going on its image with the baseball cap bregade, Ok the Festa has it a bit, but nothing like the Saxo!
Old 02 February 2004, 11:24 AM
richmilly
Scooby Regular

Thanks Saxoboy, did look at the Citroen free insurance but i cant afford a brand new car, i am looking at buying the car at auction as my uncle is a has a membership with British Car Auctions.

Scooby Jawa - i know what u mean by the baseball cap brigade, and i certainly aint into all that, more interested in performance than looks. I have been in a Zetec S and they do seem pretty nippy and dont have that instant boy racer reaction from other people!

Rich

[Edited by richmilly - 2/2/2004 11:26:33 AM]
Old 02 February 2004, 12:23 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Zetec-S...........superb little car, handling is sublime !
Old 02 February 2004, 12:36 PM
jackbrm
Scooby Regular

they don't make saxo VTR and VTS anyway so couldn't get the free insurance
Old 02 February 2004, 12:39 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Saxo VTS is group 14 insurance

If you can afford to insure that then you can afford to insure most cars
Old 02 February 2004, 12:43 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good luck with whichever one you choose - Just make sure that it doesn't suffer from the front fog light 'Always-On' fault

Cheers

TONY
Old 02 February 2004, 11:22 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I have driven a Zetec-S... Down some extremely dry, twisty roads and the handling is absolutely awesome IMO!!

I would go for the Z-S, after all, how many of them do you see around compared to Saxo's?!

Try www.zsoc.com for more details on the Fiesta...

Good luck with the decision, I'm sure that you'll make the right choice in the end and spend your wedge on the blue oval bad boy!! lol

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2004, 07:54 AM
richmilly
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, looks like its the zs for me then, i think it will have a better image than a saxo, and in the long run i will most likely like it more, thats what i like in a car, good handling on dry twisty roads, cant beat a bit of fun driving, instead of flourescent washer lights and big bore exhausts!

Rich

PS like the new scoobynet look!

PPS Thanks RSGrant for zsoc link

Last edited by richmilly; 03 February 2004 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03 February 2004, 10:47 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

No problem Rich... Enjoy the Z-S mate!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2004, 02:44 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a saxo and it was dogged with problems, which I'm sure saxoboy will remember!!

Never driven a Ford..........but my mate rates them highly
Old 03 February 2004, 05:31 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Interesting, not one person has actually commented on the Saxo's driver appeal. Rather they have all said that its too 'rude boy'.

As a drivers car it is more focused than the Fiesta and has sharper handling. The engine note is very rawkus past 5000rpm but less refined than the fiesta.

On the other hand the fiesta has better interior quality and is probably built better.

A Saxo which is lowered with nice wheels looks superb, regardless of image.

It also drives as good as pretty any hot hatch around - can't comment on reliability really, although my brother has one and it has been excellent so far.

The Fiesta looks too bubbly for me.
Old 03 February 2004, 05:38 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I think you would be very surprised how well the Fiesta Zetec-S handles mate, arguable better than the Saxo IMO...

EVO mag rate them very highly IIRC, think they still appear on the back page tables somewhere!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2004, 05:39 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

If you get the Fiesta, it has to be Ford Racing Blue (I think that's what it's called). Looks luurvely
Old 03 February 2004, 05:42 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

... Its Imperial Blue!!

Ford Racing Blue is on Racing Puma, there is a slight difference...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 03 February 2004, 06:24 PM
sc00by-d00by
Scooby Regular

Rich - I've got a Zetec-S in Imperial blue. I'm getting a scooby soon.

I won't spell out what I'm trying to imply as I'll get my wrist slapped for not posting in an apppropriate forum - but feel free to drop me an email (address in profile) to discuss matters...

Cheers,

Jamie

Last edited by sc00by-d00by; 03 February 2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03 February 2004, 09:32 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Cool

By a saxo vtr. I had one and thought it was an excellent little car. Loads of fun to be had in one as long as you don't worry about build quality
Old 03 February 2004, 11:00 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

well either one is going to be a good choice really because they are both good cars.

i have a vtr, had no problems so far, inetrior is a bit rattley (ford arguably has the beter build quality) but thats about it really. no other problems to speak of.

what i will say is that its a wonderfully fun car. my mate has a zetec s and while its as quick (ish- maybe a little slower in real terms) and handles as well, it just doesnt seem to have the edge of the saxo.

the straight line speed is great, handling is fantastic and there are loads of modifications if you're into that. basically you cant fall off with a vtr because of the low prices they seem to be going for now.

ok, its not the most balanced response ever but you will NOT be disappointed with a vtr. great little car. and if you're feeling brave enough for a vts well they're just mentally fast and unbelievable fun.

just test out both see what you prefer as its usually just toss a coin for either.
Old 04 February 2004, 10:35 AM
richmilly
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, some interesting views about both cars, as they are so evenly matched i think it will be down to which i prefer.

I will update when i get my hands on the car!!
Old 04 February 2004, 12:23 PM
nigsy
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the VTS is much quicker than people think, it will murder the Zetec S. I had one for 2 years from new.........no problems at all, superb on petrol too !
Old 04 February 2004, 12:27 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nigsy
Agreed, the VTS is much quicker than people think, it will murder the Zetec S. I had one for 2 years from new.........no problems at all, superb on petrol too !
you must have been very lucky then!!.........or maybe I was very unlucky!!

The VTS is a great car and I wanted to love it but it just let me down too often......when it wasn't sick it was a pleasure to drive

Fuel was ok............usually got 280-300 to a tank

Last edited by flatfourburble; 04 February 2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 06:59 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flatfourburble
you must have been very lucky then!!.........or maybe I was very unlucky!!

The VTS is a great car and I wanted to love it but it just let me down too often......when it wasn't sick it was a pleasure to drive

Fuel was ok............usually got 280-300 to a tank

What kind of problems did you have with the VTS?
Old 05 February 2004, 11:53 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

My Girlfriend has a Zetec s and I drive it when she lets me, I love the way it handles and it surprises sometimes how quick it is.
It also has a peddle box for man size feet, the Saxo has appalling peddle spacing for size 10's.

Dipster
Old 05 February 2004, 02:50 PM
richmilly
Scooby Regular

I have heard about the cramped peddle space in the vtr quite a few times now, i am now def looking for a zetec, thanks for everyones help.

Rich
Old 05 February 2004, 03:20 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Veracocha
What kind of problems did you have with the VTS?
Gearbox problems (took 6 attempts to repair, which it never was and was p/x in that condition), zorst had to be replaced, various electrial problems, headlights needed to be replaced, fog lights need to be replaced, Paint flaking off the front bumber (was resprayed 4 times), rear suspension needed to be replaced. Just a few off the top of my head!! oh and it had a sensor failure which made the display say it was over heating!

Hope that helps
Old 05 February 2004, 03:32 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Default what about??

Have you thought about a 206? The handle far better than a VTS my HDi does not feel any slower than my VTS did, down my local blast! When I mean slower I mean through the bends not down the straights as the VTS would have killed it. Very well sorted lil car, though I don't like the petrol engines (1.1 & 1.4) 1.6 might be better.

Though again not the most reliable car in the world!! But what is now days?
Old 05 February 2004, 03:47 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A couple of years ago I was deciding between a brandnew Z-S or Saxo (VTR ..).

Test drove em both a few times, and took a while to think it over, chose the Z-S.

I am absolutely unequivably sure I made the right choice.

As mentioned, pedal spacing is very poor on the Saxo. The Z-S (with good tyres) would go round any corner at speed, just by "flicking" it round, you literally can just throw it at the corners.

It really was a cracking car, but I had to have a Scooby My dad had the fezzy off me, so I still drive it occasionally and it's top notch.

The ONLY place I would say the standard VTR Saxo was better was slightly sharper brakes, the VTS would be a bit quicker though (mainly straight line as corners don't bother the little Z-S!)

I had a total of 1 warranty problem in the 14months I owned it from new - the colouring on the steering wheel peeled at 20k. This was a common problem. I had it re-trimmed and it didn't do it again.

Go for the Zetec-S - THEY ROCK!

Andy
Old 05 February 2004, 04:08 PM
nigsy
Scooby Regular

Had one problem with the VTS the o2 sensor. The VTS doesn't have good handling? It's a bit edgy and can punish you if you lift off, just keep it nailed, it's great ! I personally thought the brakes on the VTR (compared to the VTS)were criminally bad, so if the zetec is similar I'd steer well clear !!
Old 05 February 2004, 04:21 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nigsy
Had one problem with the VTS the o2 sensor. The VTS doesn't have good handling? It's a bit edgy and can punish you if you lift off, just keep it nailed, it's great ! I personally thought the brakes on the VTR (compared to the VTS)were criminally bad, so if the zetec is similar I'd steer well clear !!
It can be very edgy if pushed, sometimes it's the case of hold on and hope for the best lol...............in the wet it can be fun lots of grip but best not to lift off midbend as it really does upset it alot. But I wouldn't say it hasn't got good handling, just a different one I s'pose it's all down to personal taste. I think my mum Rover 214 is good (bit vague sometimes), but reviews say it's c**p

Quick Reply: Saxo VTR or Fiesta Zetec S