Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RAV4 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 12:34 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's time for the missus' Fiesta to go and she's sold on getting a 5-door RAV4 even though we've yet to test drive one. My sister has one and last time I was back in Ireland she drove us from the airport...I thought it rolled a lot but maybe that's because I'm used to my scoob.

I've done a search on the boards for RAV4 and it seems like they are fair motor and quite well received. Those of you who've bought one, are they as good as you first thought and, probably more importantly, is that a "proper" 4WD system on them and how have they done in the recent snow?

We've had a LOT of snow here this week (France/Switzerland) and this is perhaps the most critical point for us to consider. I didn't see an awful lot of them on the roads when the white stuff came down so how did yours do? Any problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31 January 2004, 01:01 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Mrs Moose has a 3dr RAV4 (the older type) and it's a cracking little car imho.

Upto 90 it's surprisingly nippy (0-60 less than 9secs ) I too find the handling a little disconcerting but then I've no real experience of 4x4 motoring. Reviews always say they are amongst the best on-road.

I actually take hers offroad on occasion and it's not too bad given it's on-road bias. Hers has centre diff-lock which certainly helps when the going is v. slippy. Obviously it's not a patch on the likes of a Defender etc but did well last winter on a trip around the Scottish highlands through a fair amount of the white stuff.
Old 31 January 2004, 02:34 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Hi

Current Rav's have a viscous centre diff and a 50:50 torque split.

Yes, its full time four wheel drive - non of this front wheel drive until it gets slippy stuff you get with the Hondas and the Audi's.

Handling is very good once you get used to the higher driving position, and they are fun to drive.

Very, very reliable.

D
Old 31 January 2004, 03:04 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

We had the old shape and it was a lot of (noisy) fun.

Fine in snow as it has M&S grade tyres, but atrocious on ice - bear this in mind !

Not sure which age model you are thinking about but as an all round winter 'car' we've had a couple of Subaru Foresters which I think do a better job - low range gearbox is standard. You can pick up an All Weather Pack model from 1998 on quite easily now.

Neighbour is trading-in his 2nd Forester (2001)and wants a change.
We've looked at all the SUV/soft roaders in detail and he is getting the Nissan Xtrail 2.2 Di SVE in a few weeks.
Old 31 January 2004, 03:16 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. We're looking at the 04 model or whichever is the last one onto the market. I've tried to convince Mrs STi-Frenchie that a Forester is probably a good buy for her but she doesn't like the looks of it at all, quote: I'll be the one driving it so that's important. It'll be used on-road for the vast majority of it's life so I was wondering what the mpg would be like around town - not that I distrust official figures of course

Thanks for the info about it being permanent all wheel drive, that fact alone will knock the Honda alternative out of the running !
Old 31 January 2004, 04:04 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

My wife has a my03 rav 4 2.0 vx, very comfy looks good cant fault it
Old 31 January 2004, 07:32 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

picked up the top of the range diesal rav 4 last week, just in time for snow.

Was great, lovely car, left the M3 in garage and drove the Rav all week, does approx 35-40 mpg.

Power steering is extremely light, other than that very nice.

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2004, 07:33 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Absolutely great cars - good to drive + very reliable.

My wife runs a 1995 2.0 GX 3 door and my Mum has a 2002 1.8 NV 3 door.

See more and more on the road these days.

Would 100% recommend the Rav 4.
Old 31 January 2004, 09:09 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

See if she likes the X-Trail Di (136bhp) first - I was impressed with the SVE (or T spec) one. Nothing against the RAV, just that I think the Nissan is very under-rated and a good alternative.
Old 31 January 2004, 09:12 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 VX. Great car but the black paint work is terrible and the dealer (Tollhouse Toyota Gatwick) and Toyota support is beyond belief when you complain. Check the car over before signing for it as mine had a number of paint faults and interior scratched that were only picked up after I had it a day when the rain had gone and the sun was out.

Overall its been a good car but I would certainly not advise black as it scratches every time you clean it and the paint is very soft (only the blacks apparently)
Old 01 February 2004, 03:43 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Great tips there folks, thanks very much. We go to the local dealers tomorrow to take a look at one, and I'll make sure she doesn't get black - apart from the paint quality, it'll be me that'll have to clean it so silver or white might be more applicable