Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Me & My RX7 the first eventful 24 hours....

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 06:58 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after much waiting & eventually starting to throw my dummy out the i finally got the call early Friday afternoon that my FD was indeed now registered with the DVLA & thus ready for collection. Didnt need telling twice! So on the train to get that bad boy i go

Ahh been a while since i did the train journey & other than the fact i was carrying a bag filled with petrol, octane booster, oil & water it went quite smoothly & arrived at the destination just after 19:00 & soon on the way to pick up my car. Obviously it was dark at this time so not ideal to give the car a full inspection & i wont go into the bits that aint as they should be too much as hopefully those will get resolved amicably........

Anyway so car is now in my possession having give it a sizable chunk of booster & Optimax to alleviate any poop it may of been fed off we go......
Now lesson no1 is learned quickly pot holes specially deep ones are best avoided especially when car is slung lower than a snakes booty lol oh well minor floor contact but nothing major so off we go to the joys of the open road.....
First few miles were spent trying not to darken my undergarmets having got used to the tedium that is a low powered NA engine it was good to have the turbo surge back & better than ever discover the usual inevitable strange noises & squeaks that any car can make, although soon remember the loud banging was actually kuz i had failed to close the boot after doing the petrol thing bizzarre that but i suppose it keeps weight down only having 1 lever lol (shuts boot & carries on...) still some noise but largely loose tools which aint no problem.

Then the noise becomes more intimidating thou! What can it be i hear you ask

Uh oh the sound of the wet stuff pooring from the back tyres booger the evils of rain the noise was phenominal but suppose that's partly from wheels being so close to driver not to mention wide & it did have the bonus of, along with the knowledge i already had that RX7's aint too fond of the slippy stuff, making me cautious enough to keep a steady speed of 60-80 mph (dependant on conditions) & avoid any brown pant moments for the remainder of the motorways few hundred miles.......Although also good reason to keep it easy was silly boost readings i was getting if i did floor it so er i didnt!
Old 29 January 2004, 07:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Coming off the motorway to a familiar roundabout thou it was impossible to resist a little more of the accelerating power & also yep he joys of back end out action lol was only a twitch before i eased off & let better sense kick back in! (yes i do occasionaly have some lol)

Then after a quick call in home & the joy of dicovering it cleared all the speed humps on the way, well if done very slowly lmao, picked up the raw mats then off to mechanic mate to change oil etc as rolling road booked for next day ~11:30 we start the basic changes & in the well lit garage see how she's looking lush but with a few bits still needing perfecting.....

So finshed by around 02:30 off i go heading for home, on the way back i get my first admirers, admitedly a group of pished up probable nova owning lads but hey nice to see sum1 else respecting me mota already .

As i near the final approach i'm worried that i'm guna really get neighbours off on the wrong foot with this car since they hated the scooby noise which i rarely used at such an early hour (woodn't care but i rent the garage off one so have to be diplomatic!) but safe in knowledge of clearing all the nasty speed humps, which had been my fear for months & yes i had even measured all of the local uns & pull into driveway which leads to my garage, which is between two houses ie tight fit & a gate to boot. Unlock garage etc & start progressing down driveway...
Then a big crunch straight away fort that the front bumper had caught on the bit of metal which sticks up for the gates to slot into & ripped off booger what to do: try moving forward=grinding noise try moving backwards = grinding noise which i'm still thinking is the front bumper stuck under the car
Now remember this is stuck between 2 houses so no chance of getting out the doors so this is where a big thank you goes to those who have broken their door handles as i remembered you can get in/out via the boot so here i am trying to clamber out of boot while keeping noise down & cursing my own stupidity, not a pretty site! Eventually manage to escape & am overjoyed to see the front bumper/splitter where it should be & it is the kinda tray that runs back from the front which was catching although when inspected from behind the offending metal vertical thingy still looked a bit high for the bits running down the centre of car (exhaust?) no real alternatives soclamber back in car & ease it forward while a few unpleasnat noises come from both the underside of my car & my gutter mouth! but i am also a lucky SOB as it seems no damage done so then it's just time to kick fek outa the metal bit until it's suitably bent, well more bent than car had already done, so as it now only lightly catches the underside as i pass although i intend to grind or file if needed a few more mm off so none at all.....But back on with the essay er i mean story manourve car eventually in garage while still trying to get over my narrow escape turn off & exit the scene as quietly & subtly as possible which er wasnt! lol

So 03:00 time for bed

Soon 06:00 wakey wakey time thou as now it's rolling road day sort my stuff then back in me fun machine & off we go, still overboosting from cold so decide i aint guna give it death on the rollers & pass altogher but still go along to show off me new toy to a few scooby mates & even in it's thoroughly diorty state is well received although the journey was another cautious one on my part c/o rain involvement should be a few good pix of me in a white knuckle death grip pikky of me focusing on the road & not the scooby driver takin snap shots of me concentrating lol

RR day progresses but i wont bore you with details of that as it's only imprezas & i'm sure you gota be getting bored by now anyway lol.
Then it's the drive home to clean the car in preparation for Sundays meet & some proper showing off & some well earned sleep Now at this point im leaving with 2 of my scooby friends going for a nice little drive, a few minutes later after i've got sufficiently lost i pull up to a roundabout only to have then come alongside... I give it a bit of right foot action onto the roundabout & with only a minor wheels pin i go on my way down a duel carrageway, with the scooby types no where in site strange but no matter i carry on again doing a circa 60-80 relatively steady driving. Start to notice sum muppet up my **** but i'm already overtaking cars so carry on my way. Eventually 50 yards or so clear on my left when suddenly i can just make out a flashing of headlights i think fine i'll get out the way carry on.......
Only when i notice him pulling in behind me now do i pear below the big spolier to see yes you guessed it in a none jam sarny i hasten tto add even with a big spoiler i'm not quite that unobservant well maybe

Now this is the first time i've ever been pulled over even after a few years of noisy scoob ownership so i'm naturally having a bit of another brown stain moment lol.
He asks the usual do you no why i've pulled you over typa thing but rather than go was it kuz i was breaking the speed limit oraphiser i have the is it cause my reg aint on the PNC sir? (OK i didnt say Sir but i didnt say ****stable either )
before he can say much i'm giving him the car was only registered yesterday so may not be blah blah & fortunately for me i still have all the paperwork in the car so he's happy with that does the usual inquires about what you doing round here sir which all goes well enough checks tax etc etc OH BOOGER he also notices the front number plate is lacking, which i also have on my passenger seat having removed it the night before as it was the size of a small country taking up valuable air space & the brackets it was mounted with were rusty & generally shocking which at least gave me the it wasn't mounted securly & i didnt want it to fall off & damage anyones car line What it's true i am a thoughtful & selfless person!
lol.
Anyway nothing came of it & he was happy once he'd checked all p/work which c/o registration bits needed included insurance cover note & i had my driving license so all was good & he went on his merry way

My scooby mate owes me big thou he said he was in two minds who to pull the scooby with the "trick" plate, ie looks well dodgy but owner is adament it's legal but wuda luved to see him argue with copper! or me but cause he held back he went for me, arrr it's nice to be wanted init? lol

To finish off my riviting story a nice peaceful drive back followed by polishing car for tomorrow but my question is:

Are all RX7 owning days going to be this interesting or better?

Si (+Gob shyte)
PS dont moan i needed sumin to put me to sleep

(NB had to do as 2 posts didnt seem to like all in 1 )
Old 29 January 2004, 07:11 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

oh & pix of me beasty (car that is lol) on http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=297212
Si
Old 29 January 2004, 08:56 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

Thats a great post m8.Loved the pictures/smileys

Nice car m8
Old 29 January 2004, 11:49 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Si it looks wonderful mate. Congratulations. I sincerely hope you don't encounter half the problems Sideshowbob did with his, really. As they say, just keep it cool....