Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

cheapest bike engined kit car?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 06:53 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

any one know? i'm fancying trading my cars in and getting a ****ty diesel hatch and then a bike engined kit car for fun, Dax do one for £6000 plus vat and a bike engine. whats the cheapest out there?
Old 28 January 2004, 07:07 PM
si_kosta
Scooby Regular

Try Robin Hood Sportscars or Tiger Sports cars...
Old 28 January 2004, 07:21 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Red face

robin hood rover k series engine ROLLING chassi is £8000 + engine
Old 28 January 2004, 07:27 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Fisher Fury/Sylva Phoenix or Sylva Striker?
Go for the Fireblade-engined ones because the 'blade engine is the cheapest.

Or a LocoBlade (LoCost).

[Edited by carl - 1/28/2004 7:27:36 PM]
Old 28 January 2004, 07:29 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

£3100 for tiger low cost + engine (ford sierra)
Old 28 January 2004, 07:32 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

£9500 +engine for a bike engined tiger , looking like dax is cheapest, anymore suggestions?
Old 28 January 2004, 07:49 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

i know a guy whos selling a very nice 900cc kawasaki, i think its a loco. not sure.
I got a Westfield too. Ask here, these guys will help http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2004, 08:21 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

found the sylva is about £6000 also, non bike engine but.. 4age (1.6 old mr2)engined i have one of those sat in my gargare, mid engined too.
Old 29 January 2004, 10:43 AM
daz748
Scooby Regular

Have a look here http://www.stuart-taylor.co.uk/main_...blade/loco.htm

Darren
Old 29 January 2004, 12:44 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Useful site

And a couple of others that I fancy

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/
http://www.adr-engineering.co.uk/

[Edited by TaviaRS - 1/29/2004 12:48:14 PM]
Old 29 January 2004, 12:52 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

The other one I saw at Autosport last year was the Coram, but their site seems to be down at the moment.

http://www.coram-automotive.com/
Old 29 January 2004, 07:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd go with the striker. Not necessarily the absolute cheapest, but IMHO it's got a better chassis than any of the others (only caterham are comparable) Plus, they're small and you can get them seriously light. I remember seeing a 320kg fireblade engined striker on slicks at a trackday. In my brother's Fisher Fury Zetec, I was taking over 5 seconds a lap out of several Elise's, and this thing caught me from out of sight in about a minute. Awesomely quick car for track use.
Old 29 January 2004, 10:56 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

I have a westfield megablde, they are great fun.

Here are some weights on such cars http://www.furyworld.fsnet.co.uk/Weights.html?total=420

Be VERY sceptical about claims of ultra light cars, I have been to a few weigh in session, and never seen any car much below 400 (a few sub 400`s spring to mind) and these are always commented on by very knowledgeable people (many of them RGB racers- or other series racers) at how light they are in comparison to other Bike engine cars).

Id be very sceptical about a 320kg car, (sounds like pup talk to me) Of course there are always surprises, so im open minded.

Look for a second hand one, you’ll get a locost fro around 4-5k with a bike engine.

Or do a conversion yourself, we id one to a x-flow last year, was not a difficult job, even for non mechanics (like me).

As for what ones the fastest...DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU ONE IS FASTER THAN THE OTHER THEY ARE TALKING TRIPE

You want proof? look at the RGB results (a race series specifically for Bike engine cars) have a look at who posts the quickest times.

Lap times dont lie

Check it outhttp://www.motorsnippets.com/750mc/racing/results/Snetterton_19th_October_RGB.pdf

It soon becomes that brands like fisher, Westfield and so on are giving very good lap times (not to many caterhams in there so whatever reason)

In short, speak to those who own these cars, as they are often exaggerated by those who claim to know.

Join the yahoo BEC list
Jump on the wscc and other forums.

You wont regret it, they are superb cars, and great fun
Old 30 January 2004, 05:03 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I confess the 320kg is from memory, but it was definitely no more than 350ish. To be fair, he'd "cheated" a bit to make it an ultimately light trackday special. It had a special striker chassis with light weight smaller guage tubing, lightened suspension parts, hubs etc, and none of those bits to make it road legal (windscreen, lights and other "pointless" stuff), and I'm sure that would be dry weight.

Brother's Fury with it's original Pinto lump was IIRC 570kg dry weight at SVA test (live axle chassis, which is lighter than the IRS). Still, with a slightly lighter 2 litre zetec pushing 170-180bhp, it's quick enough and a lot of fun.

Couldn't find motorsnippets.com, but from memory with the car engined 750mc racing, a very large proportion of the successful car engined kits were running with the Jeremy Phillips chassis (striker/Fury/Phoenix etc). My limited track day experience (and others I've talked to) suggests that handling wise sylva & caterham usually have an edge over westfield, which is still much better than most of the rest. But again, that's from my experience, and is more based on car engined kits than bikes. I could but won't provide links to others who have the similar opinions based on their experiences. That doesn't mean they or I am right, it is just my/their opinion based on my/their experience.

As with everything in life, you can get a fair idea by asking others, but the best way is to try things for yourself and make up your mind as to what suits you.

[Edited by hades - 1/30/2004 5:11:04 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 05:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Ah, made the link work. 10 out of the top 12 cars are fury/phoenix (i.e. the same Jeremy Phillips chassis), fastest tiger is 6 secs/lap back in 14th, locost 15th, others even more so. I'll use those stats to back up my comment that IMHO that chassis is a lot better than most. Obviouly can't complain at the PEL genesis (no-ones mentioned that so far!) being fastest of the lot, and one of the westies is 3rd place, so also quick.

I assume caterhams aren't in there much as they're generally a bit pricier.
Old 30 January 2004, 08:47 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

I know a few people involved in that series, and the fury is highly respected.

I own a westfield and have driven a fury Blade, and both are superb.

Myself and a fury owning friend do track days together, and both agree that there is nothing in them (at our level of driving).

Both our cars weight the same, and have the same power, and neither of us can ever gain any advantage on the other (unless mistakes are made)

I don’t think many of us mere track day drivers are able to exploit any small difference between the various chassis.

Bigger improvements can be gained (I`m my first hand experience- I have spent quite a bit of time tuning the chassis of my current Westfield, so that it handles exactly the way I want it to) in the more obvious yet often overlooked, like tyre choice, wheel alignment and suspension, and driver training.

The dudes in the RGB are seriously good drivers, unless you race in a competitive series (or have done allot of track time) I wouldn’t worry about the minor differences. And just look for a car you like the look of and is your price bracket. (well known brands may be easer to sell if you decide to? One benefit of westifleds well proven and respected brand name, and others)
Old 30 January 2004, 11:54 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Dax definetly not the cheapest! It may say £6k but you will have to buy a shed load of stuff ontop of that.

Blade engines aren't the cheapest, infact they are the most expensive 900cc engine you can buy. A complete blade engine comes in at around £1100, a zx9 at about £800-£1000, a lot of people are going for the R1 now, but still relatively new to the BEC (bike engined car) scene so are still reasonably priced.

The cheapest you will build a bec for is about £4500, but realistically i think you will spend around £6000 if you buy something based around the locost scene (MK, Stuart taylor, tiger etc).

I'm building an MK Indy with ZX9 egine at the moment, check my site out for a bit more info:-

www.locostbuilders.co.uk/~mk9r

Also have a look at :-

www.locostbuilders.co.uk

Old 31 January 2004, 01:27 AM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

thats a promising comment, i'd been getting used to having to raise £6000, but i must admit i'm waiting for mel from raw engineering to get back to me on costs of a striker if i was to donate my AW11 to the cause, looking very good value on paper at the minute, the aw11 is a yamaha 1600 with 8500 rpm limit afterall. Really a big capacity bike engine anyway. £4500 would be my ideal 'see the track this summer' cost. Looking second hand it seems build car at sale +£4000 profit, i was never thinking of building and selling, is this a reflection on how much people go over budget???
Old 31 January 2004, 04:53 PM
mikelmr
Scooby Regular

this might save you a bit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...457558001&rd=1

[Edited by mikelmr - 1/31/2004 4:53:47 PM]
Old 31 January 2004, 10:25 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

very few people actually build the car for £4500, and one that has would not sell for more than around £5000, as you could tell it had been done as cheap as possible. The main thing that sets induvidual acrs apart is the bloke who puts it together, you could spend £15,000 on a complete kit from westfield, but if you bodged it together it would be virtually worthless, where as you could spend about £6-7k on something like a MK or ST, sourcing everything except the basic kit from the manufacture, spend plenty of time putting it together properly and making everything tidy, and it would be worth in region of £8-9k.