Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

***Advice n Buying 4WD Audi Estate***

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2004, 11:43 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please give me some advice...I have a J-reg Legacy Turbo Estate with a few mods. I'm very happy with it but would like something a bit newer and cannot be an import. I am thinking of a performance Audi Quattro Estate. I would prefer an estate for practicality, AWD for safety, High performance because i'm used to the Legacy Turbo.

Any ideas? I'm looking to pay around £6000 with full service, no more than 60,000 miles and in general good condition. Please advise what I should look for when buying, where I can get mods done and helpful links.

Thanks a lot

Aaquil
Old 18 January 2004, 12:46 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

If you're talking about an S2 Avant, you'll be struggling to find one with that low a mileage/FSH, and if you did it's be more that 6k. I wouldn't fixate on the mileage.
You could maybe find a A4 1.8T Quattro, but would be high miles.
Old 18 January 2004, 01:27 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

How much more (cost I mean) do you reckon. The miles was just a guide I guess doesn't have to be exactly that. I am willing to spend a bit more if its worth it. What do you reckon in terms of Insurance...is it as bad as Insuring a Subaru?
Old 18 January 2004, 02:35 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Aaquil

I've owned a Legacy Turbo, 2 A4 Avant Quattros and lots of other 4x4 cars (inc Impreza Turbo).

Coming from a Legacy, I think you will struggle on the Audi side - either it will be high miles (as mentioned) or you will be at the age where you will be looking at wear and tear parts needing replacing.

My suggestion would be to spend (if you can) £8000+ on a 4x4 Octavia Turbo estate. This will be a lot newer and is all Audi underneath. I'm biased as I own one, but with a simple (AND reliable) 220bhp remap its very similar in many ways to the UK K reg Legacy Turbo I owned from 94-96.

Don't knock it - well worth a look.

www.briskoda.net
Old 18 January 2004, 03:28 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Flat4X4 it is a car I would consider but I want to keep all my options open. It does fit the criteria I am looking for but its not permanent 4X4 is it. Also, I am looking to mod a reasonable amount. Is there much scope to modify the Skoda's come to think of it is there much scope to modify Audi's?
What do you guys think of Volvo V70R's I read somewhere that they are AWD but the chassis can't handle the power...what's the score about that?

Aaquil.
Old 18 January 2004, 05:00 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Cool

Aaquil

If it helps to understand where I'm coming from, I spent £23k (discounted) on my last new A4 quattro. I spent £11k on a year old Octavia and £425 on a Jabbasport remap (they are superb).

The Octavia has very similar build quality, has been reliable, costs half the price of my Audis to service, and is MORE FUN !

To prove that I am not mad or suffering from delusions, I've owned 15 4x4 road cars including 2 Imprezas, 4 Legacies and a Celica GT4. The Octavia plus 220(-235) bhp is in my top 3 list !
Also bear in mind that the Haldex 'quattro' 4x4 system on the Octavia saves a fortune in fuel compared with the similar powered 99MY Impreza I owned.

Please look and search on www.briskoda.net
The badge is also a HUGE plus point on the road in IMHO
Old 18 January 2004, 06:53 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Flat 4X4 thanks for the input...I am interested what is the handling like compared to the Legacies. I heard that the brakes aren't too good. This Jabbasport upgrade is it the type of chip or is it a tuning company that deal with Skoda's etc. Do they do other upgrades like some of these Scooby tuning companies (handling etc.) can you get more than 220BHP out of them safely. regarding the 4X4 system if you blast off the light would it bog down or whellspin with this system or would it pull right away like my Laggy Leggy (Legacy I mean!). I would much rather have a Q-car than a 'in yer face... smash my face in at the lights and nick it Impreza style car!!!' What about performance filters and stainless steel exhausts etc. would this work as it would with and Impreza or Legacy. What is the 0-60 times etc. on your car and standard. What other mods have you got. Sorry about the questions but you seem a helpful kinda guy.

Thanks again

Aaquil
Old 18 January 2004, 08:27 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at Briskoda yet? Try registering - you'll be surprised at the kind of vehicles that Octavia owners (vRS / 4x4) have owned before.

Briefly -
1. The Octavia is Audi TT/A3/Golf based so upgrades the same.
2. Jabbasport (search the web) are terrific - custom remap your car
3. Outright (220bhp) go very similar to a std Legacy - 6.5 to 60
4. Zero lag compared with the Legacy. 40-60 in top is halved
5. Brake,suspension and everything else upgrades readily available

As I say, spend an hour or two on Briskoda and ask some questions on there and you will get some very useful replies...
Old 18 January 2004, 11:52 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much Flat 4X4...I will go on the website when I get a chance. I am looking for a replacement not now but maybe in 6-12 months time when I get some cash together. I just want to do plenty of research beforehand and Octavia estate seems a good idea, plenty of scope for upgrades, value for money, not many people are keen on them (no bad attention if u know what I mean) and Q-car status?

I will try to let u know how I get on...thanks again u have been more than helpful. I think all the tuning mistake/experiments I made on my Legacy could be put right on an Octavia.

Aaquil
Old 19 January 2004, 09:12 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Aaquil.

Just picked up this thread & can only agree 101% with the advice you have been given. I went from an Impreza STI 3 to an Octavia 4x4 & have no regrets, Ive had it Jabbad & it went to 228 bhp. The only other changes are KW suspension & Godspeed AP 4 pot brake conversion with 335x32 discs. Also 17" wheels were needed to get the brakes in, total about £3000.

The car is 101% reliable, a lot cheaper to run than the Scoob & TONS MORE FUN. We did the Cannonball in it this year & came 19th & really P****D off a lot of very expensive machinery & not a single thing broke apart from the 2 wheels I "knocked oval", we didnt even get any rattles & the car was absolutely thrashed
Last year the Scoob died half way round.

So GET ONE it just makes so much sense, it will leave you with a smile on yer face every time you loose someone in a Skoda & spare cash to spend.

Stuart
Old 20 January 2004, 08:36 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Aaquil...

Put it this way - both Stuart and Flat4x4 posted similar on scoobynet in the past, I told them what they are now telling you, they both bought octy 4x4's. they are both happy....

Ian.
(yup, you guessed it, octy 4x4turbo owner)
Old 20 January 2004, 10:30 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Stuart, Ian and Flat4X4,

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Can u tell a few more things...
1. If I intend to get one in (Octavia 4X4 turbo estate) how much would a reasonable one cost me?
2. Where can I get it tuned up north (Rochdale, Northwest)?
3. Are mods cheaper than Subaru mods?
4. Insurance sky high or okay.
5. How much BHP and 0-60 times?
6. How is the handling on the estate?
7. Does it attract attention (prefer if it was stealth rather than in your face Evo style)?

Thanks again

Aaquil.
Old 21 January 2004, 08:48 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Hi..

1. Get what you pay for I guess - anything from 8k to 16k new...

2. There are a few places arounbd the country, you will probably choose a tuner on price and quality of work rather than who is closest - it's a one off drive somewhere after all.

3. I have not owned a scoob, but I would say so yes, Stuart and Flat4x4 have so will let them answer for sure..

4. Insurance is group 15 IIRC

5. Mine has just a jabbasport remap - 222bhp \ 231 lb ft on a hot day, 0-60 of 6.4 on a gravel road \ two up etc etc. Oh, and when careful, 42mpg

6. Too soft for track use, perfect for country road blasting in my opinion - Stuart has KW's on - you can set it how you want it really. I'm keeping mine stock, I have no problem staying with stiffer cars on the roads I enjoy.

7. No attention at all, thats what I love most about it - had a few hot hatches before and plenty of nova drivers stuck to back bumper \ random police stop checks, no-one notices (or expects ) the octavia, it's neat but understated (see pic:

You are in Rochdale.. I'm only in Bolton myself - if you fancy a blast out sometime just let me know - email in profile.

(warning, the last guy off a forum that I took for a run bought one within a week )

Ian.
Old 21 January 2004, 09:43 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Aaquil -- to answer your earlier question, V70Rs are wicked cars, a mate has one.

Very quick, handles quite well but they are expensive -- not many came to the UK in the first place. Not sure if one would fall into your budget.

They do hold the miles well, and the T5 engine is well proven and reliable.
Old 21 January 2004, 01:17 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Aaquil

Agree with all the points I an has posted, just to add.

Ive had all the tuning bits done by Jabbasport in Peterborough, its a long drive from Winchester but well worth it.

Insurance with Liverpool & Victoria, about 1/2 what I paid for the STI3 with Barclays although it was an Import. With L&V providing you dont change the engine size they dont worry about any other mods. HEE HEE !!!!!

Mods I feel are cheaper than the Scoob but the biggest plus is that the engine is virtually bulletproof. Some people are rumoured to be running 400 bhp on std internals although the general advice is dont go above 350 on std rods etc.
Remember its basically the same Engine as Audis, VW & Seat use & therefore there are many more tuning companies with experience of these engines & people offering parts than with Subaru.

KW's on mine have definately improved the handling although the std set up was suprisingly good & certainly not bad as Ian has already vouched for

As for the Stealth Factor, thats the best bit, my favourite to play with are the Audi TT 225, the owners seem so smug but when they just cant shake a "Skoda" they get seriously anoyed.

Lastly re prices, s/hand you should get a very good one for £10000

Stuart

07799 623693 if you want to chat

Old 21 January 2004, 09:25 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Stuart and Ian,

You guys have been well helpful! Just a few other thing I want to ask:

1. Is the 4X4 estate (turbo?) different to the saloon Octavia?
2. Which Octavia is the most powerful etc.
3. Who would you recommend Jabbasport or AmD. AmD seem to be a better outfit but looks can be deceptive.
4. What tyres do people recommend? e.g I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Legacy Turbo which are excellent.
5. What is the security like, do you get satNav, aircon etc. Or am I asking for too much (not that my car has that!!!).

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Aaquil
Old 21 January 2004, 09:36 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Stuart

I tried to give you a call today but I got the answering machine. I hope I didn't catch u at a bad time!!! Anyway thanks for the offer to call u for advice I will try again when I have some time.
So if you have some funny number (Rochdale) on your missed call list don't worry is was just me.

Aaquil
Old 21 January 2004, 10:03 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Aaquil

It's still about time you went on Briskoda !!!

Anyway another answer -

(4) I thought exactly the same and was sceptical about Jabbasport.
AMD let me down on the day so I 'risked' Jabbasport.
They turned out to be super-professional and a LOT cheaper.

As Ian says, he was the original guinea pig. Follow us !
Old 22 January 2004, 08:49 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

1. Is the 4X4 estate (turbo?) different to the saloon Octavia?

No, 4x4turbo is identical in hatch and estate.

2. Which Octavia is the most powerful etc.

Any 1.8T octavia is the best base for tuning, but only one has 4wd.

3. Who would you recommend Jabbasport or AmD. AmD seem to be a better outfit but looks can be deceptive.

Jabbasport in my opinion, as mine is mapped by them.

4. What tyres do people recommend? e.g I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Legacy Turbo which are excellent.

Toyo Proxes suit it but wear quickly, not sure what I am going to try next...

5. What is the security like, do you get satNav, aircon etc. Or am I asking for too much (not that my car has that!!!).

Immobiliser, deadlocks, no alarm.. equipment wise - climate control, leccy windows mirrors (heated) sunroof, 4 airbags (front and side), ABS, ESP, 6cd autochanger, door lights, trip computer, headlamp washers, is pretty good spec.

I'll answer anything further in the new thread on briskoda

Ian.
Old 22 January 2004, 08:50 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Aaquil

Try calling again.

Re your questions

1. Most if not all 4x4's are 1.8 Turbo, I know they dont do a diesel but they may put the normally aspirated engines in it

2. The Vrs is the most powerful at 180 bhp, the 4x4 is 150 as std but both map to between 220 & 230 & both will mod further from there, depends on you !!

3. Ive only ever used Jabba & have no complaints so cant comment on AMD.

4. I am using Toyos & they seem OK but havent tried anything else, I liked them on the Scoob so have stuck with them albeit the fronts only do about 10000 & the rears I think will be 17-20000

5. Security seems OK to me but if someone really wants your car they will have it anyway. The only real solution is a BIG DOG or a Tracker

No you dont have aircon, you get FULL Climate control & also a sun Roof. Sat Nav isnt standard, not sure if its an option

Stuart
Old 22 January 2004, 10:03 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Flat 4X4 thanks for the continuation of advice...when you posted your reply I was in the process of getting registered with Briskoda they're a top bunch of guys. Really helpful like you three (I think scoobynet are either a bit 'stuck up' or they're aren't that many people who know enough about Legacies to help...I never seem to get replies).

Ian thanks again excellent advice...I appreciate the time you have spent with my queries.

Stuart I will try to ring u again...thanks again for the kind offer.

Aaquil