Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mondeo ST24 RSA or ST200

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 08:30 AM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Has anyone on here had one of these motors?
I've seen the post on Mondeos earlier but didn't seem to cover these models and I would like to know a bit more about them.

According to Parkers the 0-60 times are quite poor, is this really the case? I do know that some of the figures quoted on the site can be wrong, in some cases by more than a second.

Does anyone know of any good websites for these models?

Looking through the Autotrader there are some good bargains to be had particularly with the ST24 RSA with prices for a good one ranging around the 6k mark. Servicing prices also doesn't look too bad either.

Cheers for any info
Old 14 January 2004, 08:48 AM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Have a look on the following site - there's loads of info there in their forum...

http://www.fordmondeo.org

Sorry - don't know how to make it clicky
Old 14 January 2004, 09:17 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Markus had a high-performance Mondeo (forgotten which), he sold it for his scoob.
Old 14 January 2004, 10:45 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

http://www.fordmondeo.org

Clicky for ya...

I also considered an ST200 instead of my MY99, as I had a V Reg 2.0 Mondeo at the time which I was happy with.

However, as you said, the performance as standard wasnt great, and they were a bit too "mature" for me!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 14 January 2004, 06:37 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

They're good motors but not really in the same category as a Scoob. Main downfall is FWD with open diff even on the ST200 - all V6s have traction control but it's a waste of time, bogs the engine down far too much and slows you down rather than improving acceleration. You just need to switch the TCS off and learn to apply the right amount of throttle so the wheels can slip a little but not go spinning madly cos the car goes nowhere.

They are more comforable than the Scoob IMO, and you get a fair few toys on the ST200 (leather trim + recaros, electric everything, semi-auto climate control, trip comp etc). The ST24 is quite well specced too. Handling is good considering the car is basically a repmobile, although if you want to drive them fast the suspension could be doing with uprating.

Unless you need the practicality get a saloon version - they handle better and look better, plus they are the lightest of the three. The ST200 saloons were all "limited edition" which meant blue inserts in the leather seats and steering wheel, plus a few other differences. Only 300 official UK models but they certainly feel a bit more special than the standard ST200 with the plain black interior.

Need any more info let me know - I don't own an ST200 or 24 but know a fair bit about them and of course have a Scoob to compare with
Old 14 January 2004, 09:31 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I used to own a 2.5V6 Mondeo and have driven a couple of st200's.

The ST24 had the standard 167PS 2.5V6 which has respectable performance for the size of car. The figures don't look astounding but the V6's power delivery is very linear with plenty of bottom end urge, it feels stronger than the figures suggest on the road. Handling is also very good for what is basically a rep mobile. The big suprise for me was how good it was on fuel econonmy. Because it has loads of bottom end it's happy lugging with 1500rpm on the tacho. I averaged mid 20mpg around town and even managed 42mpg on a 80mile steady run in traffic to the coast.

The ST200 looks and feels loads more special inside and out. The only difference in the engine seems to be in the last couple of thousand rpm otherwise on the road it feels like a slightly firmer ST24. The 2.5V6 in the ST200 is the same as the ST24 but with revised cams, breathing, ECU map and the twin outlet exhaust pushing power to 200ps.

It all depends on budget and if you want that something a bit more special. ST24's are a bargain but the ST200 fetch a lot more money.

Cheers
Lee
Old 15 January 2004, 09:25 AM
MikT
Scooby Regular

Cool

Here's a good lookin 'un for ya.

http://www.claireandben.com/st200.htm

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2004, 06:02 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

They are definitely the pick of the bunch, all the blue-trimmed interior bits set it apart from the hatch and estate ST200s which are little more than ST24s inside except full leather instead of half-leather.

The 4-door also suits the sports look far better, 5 door and estate look a bit too much like tarted up family-mobiles to me... wee bit too much practicality