Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Bodywork repair...re..metallic paint match..(pics incl)

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2004, 08:01 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I had a scratch repaired on the rear panel,but am not really happy with the result.It seems to me,and many others,that the rear panel is now a darker shade.

It also seems,but i'd never noticed it before,that the lower section of the front wing is also a slightly different shade.Anyway,to me its a poor colour match and its going back in on Saturday(BMW dealer).

Question1.
Is it possible to get a perfect colour match on silver?

Question2.
Whats the best way forward,let them have another go at the rear panel,or get them to give the door a respray to match the rear and front panel.
(Then one side of the car would be slightly darker than the other)

I'd particularly like to hear from anyone who's had some bodywork done on a silver car if poss.

Thanks
Paul...
Old 14 January 2004, 09:33 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

It's hard to match the colour on silver when it's not blended in but they should have painted the door too instead of just stopping there

My puma had the rear bumper re-sprayed years ago and went back twice because it was the wrong shade and in the end I just gave up because the idiots never bothered blending it in

Paul

[Edited by paulpalmer - 1/14/2004 9:33:51 AM]
Old 14 January 2004, 09:35 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Even so it is a bad job. No colour match has been even attempted imo. Lazy.
Old 14 January 2004, 10:28 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Agreed - for it to be that obvious on a photograph it must be really bad

Should have blended to door and above swage line, but as above, it should be a much better colour match.

even blending that colour would be obvious.

Old 14 January 2004, 10:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

PS - my father in law had his silver T reg puma's bonnet done (chips) and tailgate done (scratch) by a Ford dealer and the colour match is perfect with no blending required.

So yes, silver can be matched.

D
Old 14 January 2004, 10:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Silver is a VERY hard colour to match...BUT that is no excuse - a good bodyshop will match it perfectly. It's just plain bad workmanship.

Have you had the door done at a different time too? - seems a slightly different shade to the front wing...might be just the photo/light though.

Because the dealers repaired it - by no means ensures that a good job done...and if they are anything like the local BMW dealers by me - they couldn't paint a fence correctly! Most dealers just use a local back street bodyshop (especially for 2nd hand cars they are selling).

My only recomendation is - take it to an independant bodyshop. Get their opinion on what is wrong (as well as just the color) as there may be flat marks, bad blending, orange peal etc. Which you may not notice. Then Armed with this go back to the place that did it and give them one chance to correct it.

After that, if it's still not right then demand your money back or get them to pay for it to be done at a bodyshop that can do it right in the first place. Use Photographs and written independant reports to back up your case.

This is the reason why I never reccomend using appointed dealers or bodyshops that insurance companies force you to use to repair bodywork. The main reason being is that the bodyshop is dealing with a company for a price, (trade or fixed pricing) and will tend to rush the job and not take time to correct any errors (afterall, time is money).

[Edited by ALi-B - 1/14/2004 10:48:37 AM]
Old 14 January 2004, 10:56 AM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

Get them to do it again, the whole side this time. If not - demand a refund and take it somewhere else.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2004, 11:40 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I've had a small part of my honda fixed (small dent and cracked paint) that required the wing to be repainted. Perfect paint match.
Old 14 January 2004, 12:02 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

That's waaaaay wrong!

It wants / should been, blended into the door at the very least but in an ideal world should of had the whole side done.

I've worked in a bodyshop, they work on bonus...it's loads easier to just do the 1/4 on it's own plus they can save a few hours by not doing the door. They get a shedload of bonus, you get a crap job! The thing is, most folk don't notice and they get away with it

Bob (strip and refit who never made bonus cos it's rigged in favour of kin painters[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])

and I'm not bitter about it
Old 14 January 2004, 12:39 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

alot of the shade of silver is down to the primers and undercoats. these underlying coats then give the top coats a different tint.

(mate has BMW convertible - and bought hard top - they supplied a blue/silver rather than grey/silver) - only noticable close up - but definately there - and top coat colour code is exactly the same.
Old 14 January 2004, 01:23 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Agree with the comments above. Bring the car back and insist on a perfect paint match after all that is what you paid them for. If you leave the car as it is now, when it comes time to sell that kind of a paint job will knock hundreds form the value of the car!!
Old 14 January 2004, 02:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ali.....as far as i know the door is original colour,but i know what you mean,it "seems" different to the front panel.It is DEFINATELY different to the rear panel.

Old 14 January 2004, 06:47 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guys for the advice.

Paul...