Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan Pulsar/Sunny GTI-R?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2004, 10:27 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How does a Nissan GTI-R compare to a UK Scoob?

How much power can be liberated from the standard engine without breaking the block, pistons, gearbox, etc?
Old 03 January 2004, 11:32 AM
memski
Scooby Regular

Come as 230bhp totally standard which is more powerful than a uk scoob iirc? 280-300bhp is the usual "safe" standard, easily had with a free flowing exhaust and a bleed valve. Mine puts out 330bhp with standard engine, turbo, gearbox, injectors and afm. I'm going for a bit more in a couple of months time The japs have had 400bhp out of the stock engine and the yanks have also had good results with the gtir sr20det. Regular oil changes (with a good quality oil) and decent engine management will look after the engine; cast pistons and headgasket are the main limiting factors.

The main concern is the drivetrain, the gearbox is the weakest link and if you drag race or abuse the box it will let go eventually with 300+ power.
Old 03 January 2004, 11:56 AM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Very easy to get power out of them but do it with at least a fuel controller(I didn't).I got 333bhp/290lbft(good enough for 12sec 1/4's)with 1.15bar on basic mods but paid the price as I lost the engine coming back from the last santa pod Jap meet.
This was after fitting a new gearset due to the old one breaking.I gave it plenty of stick though so I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Simlar weight to a UK Impreza(1250ish kg)and shorter gearing means it's quicker than a scoob at lower speeds but loses out at higher ones due to aerodynamics.Doesn't handle or stop that well as standard but not many of those left.
Some engine parts are interchangeable with 200sx but LOTS aren't.Coupled with the USA's love of the SR20DET engine,there are plenty of parts you can get from the states,for a lot less than here-especially turbos.
I'm currently putting together a spec that should be good for up to 400bhp on realtively low boost and the engine internals(pistons,rods,cams,headgasket&valve springs) will cost around £1500 to give you an idea.Add the same again for the labour.
Old 03 January 2004, 03:37 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cheers guys!

From what I've read so far to achieve 300bhp (or thereabouts) I'll be looking at a full de-cat and lift the boost in some fashion.

At what sort of power will the fuel pump and injectors start to max out? I've read they have 440cc injectors as stardard, which should be ok for around 350bhp as long as the pump is good.

I've read about the downside of lifting the power, with the poor brakes and gearbox. What sort of torque will break the gearbox? I don't plan on lauching it everywhere, although that's not to say that I won't!

Also what is a popular and cost effective way of making it stop better? Uprated disks and pads or is a caliper change the only way?

Sorry so many questions!
Old 03 January 2004, 05:35 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

It took me 3 changes of brakes to get a setup I was happy with-EBC turbogroove didn't feel any different to standard(discs are 258mm and single potI think),4 pots&285mm were better but I broke them.I setttled on a hispec alloy 4pot&300mm 2 peice disc and that's been fine.Budget £6-700 for this if not on the car.
Gearbox is a weakness.Some people say it's not.They're lucky.Mine went and a friend is on his 3rd.He only runs around 280bhp/270lbft and doesn't launch it after it broke the 1st time.Options are Quaife for around £2200 fitted or an Australian one for about the same.
Suspension is dramatically improved with the Whiteline works kit(new damper insert,springs and handling kit-around £1k fitted),strut braces(around £100 each,front upper,lower and rear upper are available)and Powerstations bumpsteer mod similar to the scoobys(around £200).

To get a cheap 300bhp,you'll need a new airfilter and heatshield,exhaust(mongoose is favourite as pretty much straight through)and raise the boost to just over 1bar.That will cost you about £500
To make it more reliable,add a new fuel pump,fuel controller and a front mounted intercooler which will all cost you around a grand more but with the option to raise the boost to 1.2bar and another 20-40bhp extra.

[Edited by skiddus_markus - 1/3/2004 5:40:01 PM]
Old 03 January 2004, 08:27 PM
def
Scooby Regular

Treat them well(oil change every 2-3k)and strengthen as you modd and there o.k like most nissan sports cars.
Engine is a bitch to work on (no space)
I think Tuning japanese got 1 up to 500bhp!!!
Old 03 January 2004, 10:43 PM
coxie
Scooby Newbie

mine is putting out in the region of 330 to 355 bhp with all the above mentioned mods plus a few others but i also have a bigger hybrid turbo.have been running it at 1.3 bar and i have had no trouble with it yet.gearbox is sound and clutch still spot on after several high rpm starts.

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2004, 10:59 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

My Pulsar made 276bhp and 305lbs of torque with only 1 bar of boost and a full mongose exhaust from the turbo back...thats not bad bang per buck if I do say so!
I spent a shed load modding the thing but the gearbox syncro's were worn and this was one of the reasons I sold it...I always drove it carefully (hardly launched it) but I think the Mine's ECU it had (which only worked on the Jap fuel) was a hint of the life it had before it got to the UK...simple mods seemed to get me the best power gains.
The car only stopped working once in a year when the fuel pump failed..apart from that it just had lots of niggles..sorry quirks . Still miss it now...
Old 04 January 2004, 04:54 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Will 3.5k get you a half decent example?

There are a few on find it around this price, obviously if the box is about to die, its false economy..

I have been thinking exactly the same things as you Andy, I want something to use in the wet when I don’t want to use the Megablade, and these things seem a nice alternative to another scoob, at much less cost.
Old 04 January 2004, 08:09 AM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

Someone is selling one with a blown engine on the OC-good oppurtunity to buy one cheap and stick in a used engine or even better rebuild it.

For £3.5k I'd import one myself as that's the cheaper end of market.Not to say you get lucky and find a bargain though.

For sale £1850

[Edited by skiddus_markus - 1/4/2004 8:24:51 AM]