Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Test drove a C32 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 04:49 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

For anybody who may be interested. Drove one of these today and thought it was great. Not quite as driver focused as the E46 M3.What it does have over the M3 is space, comfort and an engine that is just as fast but without the racket. Its about going very fast in a very relaxed way. I liked it because my driving style has changed over the years such that I d'ont really drive 'on the edge' anymore and so d'ont need the extra handling capabilty of the M3 and prefer the comfort,space etc instead.
The engine is truly wonderful,quiet with that little V6/Supercharger rasp when you floor it. Its pace to 100 mph(dealer looking a little pale at this point!) was staggering. My only criticism was that it could do with looking a little more aggressive over a normal C Class which the M3 does well.
Anyway thought some of you may be interested in my witterings....
Old 27 December 2003, 10:21 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

You may be more interested in the C55 which is supposed to be released soon. Apparently, weight hasnt been affected much, you get 18 bhp more (sorry not the super charged V8), massive torque and the styling is supposed to be more aggressive as well. Dont know what the price range is but Id expect it would be around the same as the C32.

Cheers
Old 28 December 2003, 12:20 AM
oreA
Scooby Regular

I have a C32 AMG (bought it recently), it is ideal for me as I want everything - speed, power, comfort, subtlety, practicality, rarity etc.

There may be a barrage of M3 owners justifying their purchases (yawn), but I don't drive my car around a track, I don't want my car to sound like a bag of nails in the morning and I don't want 15 year old spotty teenagers hanging round it in Sainsbury's car park on a Sunday afternoon.

To be honest in the real world how often does handling (eg when comparing to M3/S4 etc) enter the equation on my daily trip to work or bi-annual holiday to the South of France? Whenever anybody refers to 'races' on these fora they most frequently refer to straight drags and the C32 is up there with the best of them (see here http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals_cars.htm ).

Also, I love stealth - the to55er in his Volvo S60R this morning knows all about the C32 (now)

My 2p.
Old 28 December 2003, 07:40 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

C32:

Best kept secret on the roads. Great cars. Stealth is the great bonus as said above.

Volvo's are universally driven by either dozy codgers or tossers. Either way, I am at war with them.
Old 28 December 2003, 09:50 AM
oreA
Scooby Regular

Old 28 December 2003, 10:43 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Des, I'm looking at a second hand one around the low 30s, a brand new 55 will cost high 40s with some extras so out of my budget! Thanks for the thought though.
OreA, could'nt agree more. The M3 is a great car but there are two parked on my road and two people at work have them, so the MB has rarity value also. Would you mind answering a few quick questions?

1) What colour did you buy?
2) Is the COMAND thing worth having. Does the Sat Nav work ok?
3) Are the following standard or options
a) Bose speakers
b)electric heated memory seats
c) Parktronic
d)cruise

I'm hoping to buy a used/approved one, anything else I should look for/be wary off?
Many thanks for your help, Deep.
Old 28 December 2003, 10:53 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Just found the info about standard/options on the MB site. Interested to know what you think about the COMAND/ satnav though

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2003, 11:51 AM
oreA
Scooby Regular

Deep Singh, in answer to your q's:

1) What colour did you buy? Black - looks great when clean, needs cleaning a lot! I sometimes wish I went for silver but grass is always greener blah blah
2) Is the COMAND thing worth having? Does the Sat Nav work ok? I have a Pocket PC based Nav so wasn't interested in COMAND, I believe it is good, but complicated. Sorry I know little about the COMAND - the cars with COMAND seemed so much more expensive and I had a budget to stick to.
3) Are the following standard or options:
a) Bose speakers - STANDARD (crisp, clear, could be more dynamic at times)
b) Electric heated memory seats - STANDARD (driver & passenger)
c) Parktronic - NOT STANDARD, but worth having (I love the visual display front & back, left & right)
d) Cruise - STANDARD (includes speed limiter too)

The other option my car came with was the luxury climate control. There are precious few others - it's mostly standard.

Sorry I can't help with the COMAND, try this US based forum (http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=1a09909fe3406a2e0474b6410f0d6ef 3&forumid=48), it's the busiest C32 forum I can find, might be worth a search or a post for opinions.

Anything else to look out for? Bi-Xenons look better than the standard Xenons, but only on more recent cars. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Feel free to ask more.

Good Luck!

[Edited by oreA - 12/28/2003 11:55:02 AM]

[Edited by oreA - 12/28/2003 12:30:29 PM]
Old 28 December 2003, 02:31 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi OreA.
90% of the available cars seem to be silver,which though very common I must say I do think suits the car. Wife is pushing me to get black which also looks great, but having had two black cars before know are a bitch to keep clean. Do you have the Obsidian or solid black?
The reason I was asking about the COMAND is because out of the two cars closest to me, the one without COMAND is 6 months newer and £1k cheaper. I was hoping you'd say the COMAND was crap and so I could go for the cheaper newer one!!
I'll try the site you've recommended.
By the way,though I know the car is already bloody quick but have you looked into power upgrades for it ie Brabus etc( sorry but Scooby habits die hard!!)

Many thanks for all your help,Deep.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:15 PM
oreA
Scooby Regular

I've got Obsidian Black. The silver is common, but as you say it does look good on the C32.

I've read about the upgrades on the forum, but haven't considered any yet. But a distinct advantage of the C32 over the new C55 is the tuning potential.

By the way Deep, COMAND is carp!!

The pricing of these C32's is a bit questionable at times - I paid over £2k less for my car compared to a similarly aged model which had more miles on the clock and was less well equipped (no parktronic nor luxury climate). Whats more the dealer gave me a better trade-in for my previous car to the tune of £1500. It's worth looking around.
Old 28 December 2003, 07:13 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just checked out that site. Those yanks are sure passionate about their C32s! Some good tuning bits aswell. Have you noticed that all the guys list about 4 high grade cars they each own in their profile. We must be doing something wrong over here!
Many thanks again,I'll post back once I've taken the plunge and put my money down!
ps looked up the price of COMAND as option, its £1800,no wonder the dealers are adding circa £1k onto the used value of ones that have it
Old 28 December 2003, 07:26 PM
oreA
Scooby Regular

Yeah, and then when they buy the car back off you in part-ex they say it's worth nothin'. But I'm not bitter.....
Old 28 December 2003, 10:09 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

Ok, i love M3's to bits but the C32 is a great car

agree with all the above about it, its all down to what you want.. the C32's more of a cruiser, point n squirt machine, auto only. the only thing it lacks compared to the bm is build quality
Old 29 December 2003, 02:01 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil. I agree that the build quality of Mercs is not what they used to be. The Benz my Dad had 25 years ago was built like a tank. Saying that though,the C32 I felt was a nicer place to be,in that it was more spacious,more headroom, more light(d'ont ask me why!)The trim quality was not as bad as I'd actually read. Whilst at the showroom I sat in the new E Class which though a gorgeous car had some appalling switchgear, especially the heating ***** that felt as though they would come of in my hand! My dad had the equivalent car 25 years ago and that felt far better put together.
Old 29 December 2003, 03:19 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

my m8 has a c43 amg

rare as hens teeth...totally understated..goes like stink and sounds as good...

mercedes realised they made a mistake when they dropped the 4.3 v8 for a supercharged v6....

the v6 and blower have terrible problems i have heard from several people inside merc..hence the reason for them switching back to a high end v8...

theres just nothin better at the end of the day.

i'd rather have the old c43 than a c32..just my opinion.
Old 29 December 2003, 08:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Bader. Do you know exactly what the problems were/are with the V6 Kompressor. MB seem to use the Komp with most of the other engines with success ie 180,200,230 and the V8(? CLK55 AMG) without major problems.
Thanks,Deep.
Old 29 December 2003, 08:16 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

Hi m8..i dunno exactly what the problems are..i just know they are havin trouble with the blowers on that particular engine (blowers can be troublesome).

i will ask my friend and try and find out exactly what the issues are.

its a damn shame cos i love amg mercs for their understatement...although the v8s generally sound absolutely awesome )
Old 30 December 2003, 11:47 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I take it that the Audi S4 is off your list??

Can I ask why, just seems logical to include it if you are looking for a quick top-end german 4dr car.

IMO, its hugely better built than the Merc, so just being nosey as to why you're not considering it as a viable option.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 December 2003, 02:05 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

i'd have an s4 too

quality cars..

car jackers love em though.they tend not to go for mercs strangely

Old 30 December 2003, 03:42 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi guys. I suppose you are right I should try the S4 since its in the same sort of class. I drove the M3 and it was'nt for me as it was'nt much more comfortable than my STi. I then drove the Merc and felt it was just what I was after. I should drive the S4 before spending so much money. The advantage of the Merc is that I was hoping that the Supercharger left a bit of room for modding if I got bored later,no such potential with the S4 as its NA. If I had the money I'd defo be thinking about a RS6!
Old 30 December 2003, 03:55 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

May not be your cup of T... But If I had that money to spend on a VERY quick top end German Car, I'd be looking at an RS4!!

I am more into my Audi's rather than Mercs or BM's and for the money you are looking to spend, you could get a nice RS4, which has 2 Turbo's should you get the urge for a little modding along the way....

www.rs246.com will have more info on it for you!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 December 2003, 04:12 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

plenty of tuning potential in an rs4 also...

and the rs6 for that matter...

although you have to go abroad to do it...

my m8 had an rs4 (before they were car jacked at gun point...same as with an r32 but i am in manchester) and it is bloody fast!!!

i'd love one when they come down in price abit.

twin turbo urge..fabulous
Old 30 December 2003, 04:26 PM
oreA
Scooby Regular

Deep,

Apparently even the new S4 V8 does have some tuning potential, but not at reasonable cost (7k will get you to 400BHP - I can find out more details if you wish).

S4's are new, so you won't find one as well equppied as the C32 for your money (low £30k's).

Happy hunting.
Old 30 December 2003, 04:46 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

i love the new s4..

it sounds fabulous...is well speced for standard and is 4wd...

it does handle alot better than the c32...there have been alot of complaints about the c32 handling wise not being up to the opposition (theres no doubting its pace)

the audi handles very nicely especially with the 4wd...

i bet the audi engine is bloody torquey aswell..anyone got the torque figures for comparison on these cars???

have you no also considered a second hand (i am loathe to say this but they r good) e39 m5.

v8 with everything...miles better than an m3 in my opinion.

i have never met anyone thats unhappy with one of them.sure they arent as quick as a lotus carlton but they are far better built
Old 30 December 2003, 07:04 PM
oreA
Scooby Regular

C32 - 450NM @4400rpm, 354BHP
S4 - 410NM @3500rpm, 344PS (340BHP)
M3 - 365NM @ 4900rpm, 343BHP

[Edited by oreA - 12/30/2003 7:07:23 PM]
Old 30 December 2003, 08:50 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

thx oreA ..

very informative..no surprise that the merc is the most powerful really

i still prefer v8s though..and how often do any of us get a chance to drive above 150
Old 30 December 2003, 08:53 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Audi RS4

2.7 30valve Bi-Turbo

Peak Power : 380BHP @ 6100rpm
Torque : 440NM @ 2500rpm

I know which I would go for...

www.rs246.com

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 December 2003, 08:55 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

grant..i would definately not say no to an rs4...

but whatever i get next has to be better than my LC..

i'll plum for the rs6 or an E55
Old 31 December 2003, 11:07 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys
1) RS4. I think it looks gorgeous,very agressesive.Fast with plenty of tuning potential even in this country. My only reservation is that its an estate and since I d'ont even have kids yet it seems overkill to drag around so much space when I d'ont need it. Also the slight image issue of driving an estate, though for people like us who are into cars it has
top kudos

2) Even though I 've not driven a S4 I think it falls into a no mans land. What I mean is that it does'nt handle as well as an M3(Most mags say) and is its ride quality w'ont be as good as the Merc. So not ultimate driver or cruiser if you see what I mean

3) M5.I d'ont think anyone can doubt this car. Though 5 years old it still beats the E55AMG and the RS6 in group tests even though its underpowered compared to those two. I've never heard of an unhappy customer. My problem is that its now 'the old shape'. I'm sure the car would never disappoint but I'm spending the most amount of money I ever have on a car I'd llike it to be a current model. This is a little fickle and superficial I know but thats how I feel.
Cheers guys, Deep.
Old 31 December 2003, 12:11 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

deep..

with regards to some of your points...

the rs4 estate is just in name... the space that you are referring too isnt that large and the stigma of driving an estate is negated because of what it is (you only have to tweek the right pedal and you forget all about it being an estate)

as for the m5... whilst the new model with its 500bhp v10 will no doubt be very impressive....personally speaking the shape of the car is an acquired taste and to be brutally honest the interior is hideous..i certainly couldnt live with it or that stupid i-drive..i'd much rather have a couple of year old m5...i dont think u'd be missing much and the prices might be great for buyers being that the new model is coming out.

i certainly wouldnt be bothered about the model variety there will always be buyers for older m5's...me for instant...i would give my right arm to own a late plate e34 m5 the one with the 3.8 engine...i adore them...but its up to you...its your pocket the money is burning a hole in so the best thing to do is...

drive them all....the car that you should buy will speak to you...you won't need to decide because when you sit in it and drive it you'll just know which one is for you..trust me

Quick Reply: Test drove a C32 AMG