Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

First car?

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 03:44 AM
aOKi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 year old, should have about £5000 to spend (I love christmas overtime). Seen some BMW 318 Coupe's I like, kinda gives you an idea what I'm looking for. Got some good quotes under my Dad's name, with me as the main driver. Max insurance group about 12-13.

Also I searched and couldn't find anything.

Cheers
Old 27 December 2003, 09:21 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Cool

A few words of caution (not to dampen your spirits), more thinking points really:

1) Is your dad aware he can't use his NCD on two vehicles? Your insurance may also refuse to pay if they discover that you're the main driver but are insured as an additional, particularly if the V5 is in your name.

2) Buying a car is one thing, running it is another. Have you checked parts/servicing/tyre prices for the Beemer?

3) RWD is a bit less forgiving of mistakes, especially if you're a new driver. Have you looked at handling/skid pan courses so that you can drive safely and have fun?

Ok, party-pooping aside if you can afford it then go for it. The 4 cyl engines (1.6 and 1.8) aren't as smooth or refined as the straight 6's but as long as you don't expect land speed records, it'll be fine. And despite the fact that they're everywhere these days, debadging, a nice set of alloys and a discreet boot spoiler will make it look the part.

Two final pieces of advice:
Look after it and it will run forever
Prepare yourself for "all BMW drivers are idiots" comments
Old 27 December 2003, 10:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forget using your Dad - get you own NCB so when you're 21 you will have no problem insuring a Scoob or similar.
For the moment a Saxo VTR will give you loads more fun than a BM, and cost not so much to run.
If i was in you position however, i'd be looking at Cit AXGT's No - i've never owned a citroen, but they know how to make cheap fun
Old 27 December 2003, 11:13 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A big word of warning about you dad insuring the car. Insurance companies are wise to this and will check it out if you have a claim.

There was a guy on TV who insured his son's car, the son had a big pile up with a couple of personal accident claims.

The insurance company sent in the investigators and refused to pay up for the insured car, they payed out to the third parties but are sueing the father who was the policy holder for their losses.

The father had to sell the family home and move into rented housing and still owes £1000's to the insurance company.

Just not worth the risk for your dad IMO

Lee
Old 27 December 2003, 02:08 PM
aOKi
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I assumed that if I was on his policy, named driver, main driver, personal and commuting for myself, I couldn't be in the wrong? As that's exactly how the policy will be used, it's just the car would be owned by him.

[Edited by aOKi - 12/27/2003 2:10:24 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 02:51 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I thought if the policy was in your name that meant you were the main driver? In the eyes of the law that is.
Old 27 December 2003, 02:55 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Speaking from experience mate I would go for a cheaper car and insure it in your own name. I was on someone elses insurance for the first couple of years while I was at college. I wiped out my second car (through no fault of my own - just in the wrong place at the wrong time) and was left with nothing. After saving up for a bit I got another car and got it on my own insurance - Cheap car and third party fire and theft insurance (cheaper than fully comp on a more expensive car) by this time my mates had built up some no-claims and all had better cars than me, I built up a couple of years no-claims, any damage to the car I would pay for myself so I did not make a claim. Then after a couple of years I could buy a decent car and also afford to insure fully comp.
Old 27 December 2003, 07:12 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Ill agree with the comments so far, its a false economy being insured under someone elses policy. I did this when i first started driving, and wish I hadnt, I would have been much better off paying out a few hundred more at the time and starting my own policy and my own NCB.

Old 27 December 2003, 08:21 PM
aOKi
Scooby Newbie

Ok, I'll get my own policy. Back on topic, I can't really afford insurance on a 318, but I don't want to be driving a ****ter. Maybe a Starlet GT? Import though :/
Old 27 December 2003, 08:28 PM
aOKi
Scooby Newbie

I thought if the policy was in your name that meant you were the main driver? In the eyes of the law that is.
They give you an option when you get quote of who the main driver will be, either the first or named drivers can be chosen. I found it increased quotes by 10%.

[Edited by aOKi - 12/27/2003 8:28:32 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 11:19 PM
Eatpies
Scooby Regular

when i was 17 i was given a 106 1.0l, which i drove through the side of a bridge (whoops). i then slowed down (havnt crashed since!) and bought my own car 2 weeks later, an AX GT!!
deff get ur own insurance, i did from the word go and now i can get quoted on grp 20's, all my friends of similar ages who went under there parents now cant insure a normal 2.0l astra!
it makes sense mate
Old 28 December 2003, 01:58 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Stick with UK cars for your 1st couple of years.

The import route will cost you £100s more on insurance, especially if you go for Toyota.

Why not go the Cit route as said earlier or maybe the Fiesta 1.6 si as they're both faster and better to drive/learn to drive than a RWD, bottom of the range BMW. Personally, I wouldn't touch a 4cyl, old BMW as they're crap compared the the straight 6 models.

For £5k you can get a decent, fast enough(for a new driver) motor and have enoght change for the 1st year's insurance too.

The BMW route is, IMO a wrong one. The base models are very sluggish and would bore you within a month.
Old 28 December 2003, 09:06 AM
timmy03
Scooby Regular

most people start with a shi**er, i am now 20, when i was 17 i had about the same amount of money as you, bought a 1994 M Vaux astra mk 3 1.4 gls, ins grp 8, bought it then for £3000, insurance cost me £1683 TPFT!!! and i shopped around, i was insured with CIS, no one else could insure under two grand. the point is that this car has cost me about £350 in 3 years of ownership, including being serviced regularly and 4 tyres!

you want something mainstream like ford,vauxhall with cheap parts and easy DIY servicing.

edited because i cant spell!!!

p.s i know this car doesnt sound exciting but its fast enough when i was 17, had a few near misses with it, but never crashed, now got 3 years ncb, if i'd had a faster car, i would definitely have crashed.

[Edited by timmy03 - 12/28/2003 9:07:36 AM]
Old 28 December 2003, 09:48 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Just echoing Timmy above, I too went the "bangernomics" route for my first car. Got a Cavalier (don't laugh too much) as I needed to cart people and objects about, paid as much for the insurance as I did for the car but two years later it still runs strong and owes me bugger all. It was designed to get battered up and down the motorway which it still does very well.

One mate had a Saxo and stacked it, another got a brand new Astra and is always skint.

The good thing about common, older cars is that they are easy to fix and parts are cheap. So you get to learn a little bit about all the oily gubbins.

The temptation to get something really nice is so high, but if you keep the banger for 12 months and save alongside, just think what you could be driving after next Christmas in your own name.
Old 28 December 2003, 04:01 PM
sterns
Scooby Regular

I too think start off with a nice cheap run about.
Thats what i did, never an accident, thus allowing me a year to two later, I was driving a GTI-R.

Also, what is a thief more likely to rob, a nice BMW or a Vaux (no dissing Vauax, as ive had 2)
I know everyone wants a top car for their first, but get used to the other tw*ts on the road first.

Just my opinion, good luck with the hunting and chioce though mate

Tony
Old 28 December 2003, 09:02 PM
aOKi
Scooby Newbie

Will probally get a new shape 106 or VTR, plenty of scope for tuning. Are companys like Liverpool Victoria still as friendly about mods with younger drivers?
Old 28 December 2003, 09:16 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

L'Pool Vic are good for young drivers on reasonable cars.

Don't bother with a Saxo, everyone drives them and you will be stuck with the awful image. Plus, you'll pay 2k to insure it in your own name.

Get something group 4/5. Look for a 106 Quiksilver. They look the part and are cheap as chips to run. Run that for 3yrs, save your cash and get something decent when you are older and, equally importantly, wiser.

I remember when I was 17 and I wanted a fast car. People told me exactly what has been said in this thread. I thought they were just old and sensible but in the end gave in. I was fortunate enough to have a 206. It was only a 1.4, grp 4 insurance, but looked nice and cost nothing to run.

I have now managed to build up some NCB and have just got insured on a brand new 14k Mini, loads of extra for £650. I am 20 now and am so glad I took peoples advice. Hopefully with a little more experience and some more NCB I will be able to insure a better car in the near future (hopefully a 330ci - awaits BMW drivers are '*****' comments!).

Just remember, 'Good things come to those who wait!'
Old 28 December 2003, 09:17 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I used to find Adrian Flux was the cheapest for me but I havent used them for a while
Old 28 December 2003, 09:47 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

lol @ eatpies. sounds similar to me. passed test at 17 got given a corsa 1.2 straight into same bridge (mite of been same bridge)

slowed down not crashed since, went to uni then so didnt bother with a car just drove my old mans

but to you i'd be following the above advice of a VTR 106 quicksilver or even Rallye.. and get ur own insurance, altho i can understand the appeal of the beemer, u gotta be slightly realistic