Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

------INTEGRA TYPE R Vs SCOOBY-----------

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 12:16 AM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, and thanks for the info in the list post

Ive desided on either a integra or scooby, has anyone driven both, if so how do they compare, fuel, servicing, etc.

Ive seen loads of pics of the ITR and Scooby and cannot get any more info about scoobys in my head, but still need more info on the ITR. (have joined honda forum, but they havent compared or said about the high repair bills)

Some people have said they cost alot to repair. if so, what sort of things??? and how much??? as would like to compare with scooby repairs.

For the money, im looking at either a 98 ITR or a MY97 UK Scooby.

Advise please

Thanks again
Old 19 December 2003, 01:03 AM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

I ran an ITR for two years. I really loved the car and miss it all the time(how sad is that). I can't offer you and advice in relation to the Scoob but I can compare it to my Evo.
The Teg is a smashing fast road car, really capable in standard form. From a reliability point of view the only thing that went wrong with the car in 24k was the clutch slave cylinder. I didn't even defect it, the dealer picked it up on a service and replaced the slave cyl/master cyl and the pipework bacuse the system would have been contaminated.If that was my Evo ,Mitsubishi would probably have claimed it was driver abuse or that they don't cover slave cylinders if the clutch has been used... you get the point
The teg was quite a technical car to drive and rewarded you as such but the Evo needs to be grabbed by the throat and given a good kicking so to speak.
Don't get me wrong the Evo is a great car as I imagine is the Scoob and for sheer pace the Teg doesn't come close but I still miss the Teg and I'd have another one tommorow if I only needed 2 doors instead of 4.
I don't think you will be dissapointed with either of your choices as long as you are careful when purchasing.
IMHO get the Teg , thrash it everywhere(I did) get reasonable fuel consumption and if you yearn for a little mote power fit a supercharger or a turbo conversion, you won't regret it.

Mac.
Old 19 December 2003, 02:09 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Can really help you here as in my garage at the mo is a Teg and a Scooby 03 STI. Before we got the STI we had a classic Scoob UK 99. So not only have I driven both, but I have been able to swap from one to the other and back again regularly.

Scooby
======

Scoobs are great cars no doubt about it. Jump in a Scoob for the first time and within minutes you're making rapid progress (and thinking you're a better drive than you are). In standard UK trim they tend to understeer first, but this can be tuned ourt via suspension tweaks.

The engine kicks from reasonably low down and the power feels great when the turbo kicks in - a real shove in the back. Grip is pretty awesome and body roll is not too bad. The steering is a bit vague - you feel a little detached and the gear change whilst adequate is not the best around.

The car feels reasonably well put together, but there will be rattles and squeaks here and there. Ride is OK, but no more than OK except on the 03 UK STI which is frankly dreadful - the Prodrive suspension is a must.

Running costs -
Fuel - 20mpg Optimax is usually recommended
Insurance - group 17/18 - high
Servicing - average
Tyres - 15K - 25K
Reliability - good/excellent
Dealers - not that good (IMHO)

Teg
===

The first time you drive an Integra you will be disappointed - you’ll drive it like a normal car and whilst reasonably impressed you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. However when you start to learn the car you realise just how good it is. the power band really starts at 6000rpm and goes all the way up to 9000rpm - this takes some getting used to as well as skill to keep the engine in the zone.

Once you’ve mastered it though you won't look back. Handling is sensational and it even feels a bit like RWD. You'll notice FWD when setting off in the wet of course, but other than that you'll be amazed at the handling, grip and how flat the car feels in heavy cornering.

The gear change is a joy and the steering is very communicative. Ride is surprisingly good, but the noise levels can be a bit high on the motorway.

If I had to choose I'd say check the weather - heavy rain take the Scoob, anything else give me the Teg!!! yes, it really is that good!

Running costs -
Fuel - 25- 35mpg Optimax essential
Insurance - group 19 - very high
Servicing - average/low
Tyres - 25K - 35K
Reliability - excellent
Dealers - very good (IMHO)

Regards,

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 12/19/2003 9:01:30 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 12:34 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I too miss my 'teg, and I sold it four years ago ! I owned a Type-R for a year or so, and I now have a UK Turbo Scoob for the missus. So although I can't compare back to back, I have owned both - and I TOTALLY agree with the comments above.

For everyday driving, a scoob is hard to beat. But the Teg really is an impressive machine, and a real assualt on the senses ! The noise as you go through a tunnel in the integra, going from 6000-9000rpms is truly incredible !!!

I've also driven an S2000, Civic Type-R and Accord Type-R, the Integra really is the best. Apologies to all CTR drivers, but the integra is a classic.

I remember two reviews of the Integra, one said 'this is a car you drive with your fingertips', and you'll understand this when you really take one for a proper drive. And another said 'and integra gives you 80% of an NSX, for a fraction of the price'.

Be interested to hear if anyone has driven the old Integra and the new Civic back-to-back.

All the best

Matt
Old 19 December 2003, 01:50 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lots of threads on this and I have too owned both

if I had to go back to one Id pick the Teg ( I now have the S2000 )

The Integra was MUCH cheaper to run in my experience. Very fast on track as you are "in the zone all the time" VERY fast through corners esp on track( I killed many a supposed faster car on track in it inc scoobies)

The Integra felt special, the Impreza just felt sporty when I got in. The integras are also much less commmon and dont have the max power stigma now attached to the scooby, shame but true-look around.

Id love another, and may go after a cheapy for some track fun in the future.
Old 20 December 2003, 04:05 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advise guys, youve been very helpful. esp tiggers thanks

Ill let ya know how i get one.
Old 20 December 2003, 04:50 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I've driven both having done a track day in a Teg and owning an MY00. I must say if I did not have the Scoob the Teg would be my next choice.

I didn't like the lack of torque and felt it was a little noisy that said its quite a nice noise not as nice as the Scoob. The handling was superb especially for a FWD car and this made it very qucik on track to the poiunt where i was scaring myself with the speed I could carry. Build quality seemed very high and I loved the red recaros.

Niether cars are the last word in quality interiors. The Scoob is possible more practical with the 4 door option. Running costs I;m lucky to get 200miles out of a tank. Reliability on the Scoob has been faultless ( 3.5 years old from new now) apart form the alarm keyfob thingy packing up. Tyres usage not too bad. on 2nd set of tyres in 3.5 years. Pads lasted nearly 3 years and disks due to be done shortly. Small services are cheaper than many cars at around £80-90 but the big services is around £400 . Cambelt service a bit more on top.

I personally prefered the torque of the Scoob but the Teg is a fantastic car . I've never heard of an engine failure on the Teg which I can't say for the Scoob but then its easy to tincker with a turbo car or for a split hose to give you too much boost but then the trubo makes them more tunable too.

Both great cars and whichever you go for you'll be smilling for thousands of miles.

AllanB
Old 20 December 2003, 05:46 PM
Riprock
Scooby Regular

Just one correction to Tiggers comments........TEG=insurance group 18 .... Thank you

Yours

Dash
Old 20 December 2003, 06:52 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Eagle Star have it down as group 19 - still maybe others have it as 18 - it's slightly more than a Scoob no matter what!

tiggers.
Old 20 December 2003, 07:28 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

This has kind of helped me with my next car choice, it was probably down to Teg, Scooby, GT4 or MR tubby.

MR2 whilst great is just a bit too impractical, but could have one for a bit i guess
GT4 is very nice, but as said for your money you get an older car, have seenlast of the line T platers for about 11k.
Scoby, not much to be said on that, we all kno wthe pros and cons

The teg, kind of a good all rounder really, and with 0-60 of 6.5 on parkers it cant be too shabby (for a 1.8 with no turbo thats good ). There is a gorgeous Teg for sale near me, white, 1998 R plate, air con, 40k on the clock and the guy wants rid as he has a new car, up for 7995! Seems a bargain to me.
Old 20 December 2003, 08:35 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Make sure you drive it for a while on all type of roads.
Old 24 December 2003, 02:28 PM
taylor
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for the Teg. I've owned 2 and moved to a classic when I needed four doors. Now have a modded bugeye. The Teg was considerably better than the classic to drive, although for sheer pace and grip it falls a bit short of my bugeye(285bhp).

I'd love to have another Teg. Cheap to run and tremendous fun.
Old 26 December 2003, 09:36 PM
steve_hey
Scooby Regular

Gav FYI,
here is a list of the expenses that have been incurred having owned an ITR for nearly three years and 40K miles.

Mileage(*1,000), Description, Cost
28 Bought with full service + MOT
28 Cat 1 Alarm/immobilser 300
36 Service+ rear pads 170
42 oil change 30
48 Front discs + Pads 170
48 Full Service 207
50 Repair Heat shield 25
53 New Clutch 380
54 oil change 30
58 MOT 54
60 cambelt 170
60 Service 90
62 rear pads + discs 200
65 New Cat Heat Shield/new front Pads(FOC) 115
65 Air con Recharge 70
Tyres*10 600

total £2611

Cheers

Ste
Old 26 December 2003, 11:09 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

steve-hey thanks for that, gives me a good idea of what it will cost.

Do you still have your ITR???
Old 27 December 2003, 11:52 AM
steve_hey
Scooby Regular

Yes ,and WRX. The missus has the ITR at the moment,

Ste
Old 27 December 2003, 12:23 PM
def
Scooby Regular

If your going to modd then go for a scooby if not the teg
Old 27 December 2003, 12:46 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with Steve's synopsis apart from the clutch. I know of a couple of Teg's running around with 70K and 80K mileages still on the original clutch, but I guess a lot depends on how it's driven and who has owned it previously.

tiggers.
Old 27 December 2003, 03:00 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Yup agree the clutch and flywheel will go to 80K.

Just bare in mind to get any reasonable more amount of power budget 2K + minumum.

The engines are bullet proof but a well abused/tuned one will go (mine reved to 9500 using a Power FC), after I sold mine, the guy stripped the engine, gearbox down to find.

* Bottom end knackered, about to go
* Clutch gone
* Flywheel scorched to hell
* 3rd and 4th gear syncro on the way out

The cost of the rebuild will be around 5K atleast, fortunatly he is a bit of a mechanical wizard and doing all the work himself. Rebuilt to handle 13000 rpm.

My car had 47000 miles, 35 trackdays, FHSH, oil changed every 2K, gearbox oil every 12K.

Just be aware there are some heavily tracked cars out there including the JP ones (mostly red IIRC).

Mine wasnt a DC2 but EK9, but basically all the same parts with the a shorter stroke, well it did originally
Old 28 December 2003, 05:57 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Some pics of both together here mate .....
Old 28 December 2003, 07:02 PM
steve_hey
Scooby Regular

Danny-boy, have you been round to my house?

Old 28 December 2003, 07:44 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

hmm is this clutch/flywheel thing gonna be a problem on all of them, or just ones that have been tracked/caned?
Old 28 December 2003, 09:56 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not a problem and it is easy to change, and isnt drastically expensive like I said last till 80K more than likely.

The only thing is mine was great, once stripped down it was fecked, couldnt believe it was still working.

I for got to say except the regular oil, disc, pad, tyre changes and nessary servicing, nothing, and I mean nothing broke or need replacing from new, simply the most reliable car I have ever had, and it had loads of abuse.
Old 29 December 2003, 06:29 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

danny-boy, are they both yours???

some good pics there, spent ages trying to find pics like that!!!

If there yours, how do you compare them?
Old 29 December 2003, 09:21 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

not too many pics of our my00 scoob here but plenty of our ITR.

www.sjskyline.com
Old 29 December 2003, 09:42 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

thanks scooby-babe, v nice DC5, but cannot afford one of those sadly

Old 30 December 2003, 11:09 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

we were looking at the ITR that Danny-boy has before we got the scoob. We didn't get the ITR because I would have been 23 at the time and nobody would insure me as 'being too young'. (We refused to pay £3k to insure with the one company who would!) We waited and got the scoob in 2000 instead. Now the scoob is no more, we went back to the Honda for some reason!
Old 30 December 2003, 06:32 PM
Duane Dibley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can't comment on a Scoob, but as an owner of a ITR i would recommend the type-R scream machine to anyone, an absolute quality car, apart from today in the snow on the North Yorks Moors, just kept going sideways!
Old 31 December 2003, 07:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Now the scoob is no more, we went back to the Honda for some reason
(cough).... looks ashamed....

Whilst the VTEC scream is great, our scoob had a full HKS decat, K&N induction and HKS blow off. the sound was amazing and always turned heads..... Mind you the DC5 just turns heads with its looks!!