Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

FTO or TEG Type R

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2003, 01:48 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Been reading this board for a while, but only just registered.

I currently drive a 02 Civic Type-R which i've had for about a year and a half, but i have just bought a house, and may have to bail out and get something a bit cheaper to run around in.

I'm thinking of either the Mitsu FTO 2.0ltre V6 with tiptronic shifters (for about £5k), or a UK Integra Type R for about £8kish.

Not sure of running cost or insurance just yet.. I'm currently 23 with Full NCD and paying about 800 for my CTR.

Any unbiased advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 17 December 2003, 04:59 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

After all the "advise" I'm thinking I may swing towards the Teg because I'm used to the similar performance and the Honda reliability

Old 17 December 2003, 05:03 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I can only offer an opinion, to my mind there is no comparison between the mivec FTO (which I drove and disliked) and the Integra R which is in another class altogether.

[Edited by NACRO - 12/17/2003 5:04:04 PM]
Old 17 December 2003, 05:10 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

What is the FTO like to drive? Does it have a lot more torque etc? I love the look and spoke to an owner of one in Edinburgh on my travels, but have never been in one.. They just look a lot of car for the money to me.
Old 17 December 2003, 05:10 PM
hugebeef
Scooby Regular

I'm 23 with 4yrs ncb and was offered £900 to insure a Impreza UK turbo and £1,400 on a UK Integra Type-R. Watch out - ITRs aren't cheap to insure!
Old 17 December 2003, 05:18 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
The FTO was a strange car, I was looking at smallish coupes before I ended up getting an Impreza, I drove the non-mivec and mivec cars- the non mivec was slow, painfully slow really, the mivec seemed reasonably nippy but didn't provide me with any enjoyment and the cabin felt cramped. It did however have a very high spec like a lot of jap cars and offers good value for money.
The Integra was worlds apart in terms of its razor sharp handling and the thrill of V-TEC. It just felt faster than the FTO although I'm not sure what the figures say.
Integra has rarity value and more pedigree as well IMHO.

edited to add: the insurance quotes I got for the Integra R were more than the Impreza too- by about £200.

[Edited by NACRO - 12/17/2003 5:19:43 PM]
Old 17 December 2003, 05:31 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

I've just asked my insurance company, and my new home makes my CTR £50 cheaper to insure, and the Teg i'm looking at about £150 more than paying now.

Old 17 December 2003, 06:17 PM
walker9
Scooby Newbie

the mivec is a nice car if you get a manual version and is just about as quick as the uk scooby but the mivec has lots of downfalls it needs the hydrolic tappets adjusting every 9k (£150) at mitsubishi the 40k service with belts is around £650 the tiptronic ones are very prone to gear box failure and the manual gearboxes are very rare and about £500-1000 more to buy
Old 17 December 2003, 06:21 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Get a Teg - you won't regret it.

Look in this thread for lots of info on the car.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=281049

Page2 and 3 are best.

tiggers.
Old 17 December 2003, 06:45 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DC2 is the nearly the best modern day Honda, FTO is a wannabe IMHO, owned neither but driven both, more of the Teg. EK9 is fantatsic too, but they hold there value really well I sold mine for 11K all in 44000 miles MY98 in March.
Old 17 December 2003, 09:43 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I've had my Teg a month now as I simply wanted a sporty car that wouldn't break down and had a bit of poke. (I'd spent £££'s modding previous cars and didn't really want to spend loads modding again so the Teg seemed a good choice as it has a bit done to it as standard).
IMHO the Teg is an enthusiasts sports car and the FTO a slow posers car (everyone round my way that owns one seems to be one) The FTO's I've seen also seem to make a hel of a lot of noise but not actually go anywhere.
I used to work with a guy who had a Mivec FTO with full bodykit, 18's etc and it looked the dog's danglies..but sounded like my nan and grandads automatic maestro with a blown exhaust...sorry FTO fans
My brother also had an 02 CTR and it seemed boring in comparison to the ITR, less of a VTEC kick and I much prefer the driving position in the Teg, sitting low down an all
Old 18 December 2003, 01:23 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

Judging by everyones responce I think that it HAS to be the Teg! I just missed a mint example in the Wigan Honda when having my 24k service last week. Its gone now!

I cant believe how expensive the FTO can be. No wonder they're priced as a lot of car for the money

Think I can get a standard (unmodded) Teg R for around £8ish?. I'm afraid i'm a bit of a "billy standard" kind of owner that keeps all receipts and keeps them standard.

Old 18 December 2003, 01:33 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

petrolhead1,

Good news for you then as the Teg in standard format is pretty damned good. For instance many (if not all) of the aftermarket exhausts give no more power and some even reduce it though they do sound nice.

Honda really did do a good job of this car.

tiggers.
Old 18 December 2003, 01:43 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

On the contrary tiggers, Honda did a pretty good job on the 'teg apart from the exhaust.

Changing the manifold on UK cars is one of the few ways to gain power easily.

Old 18 December 2003, 02:07 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

The teg is faster and has slightly better handling than the FTO. But the teg is a stripped out car and the FTO a high spec coupe. So with that in mind I'd expect it to be a bit slower.

No 200bhp car is ever going to be slow. The FTO is the slowest of the bunch (200sx, Teg, prelude, Mr2) but looks so much nicer.

Having owned both I'd say it completely comes down to the driving you do. I now do 20k+ so would take the FTO. When i was doing 6k a year the Teg. But then I'd actually have neither and go for a 200sx S15 250bhp RWD 6Spd!!!!
Old 18 December 2003, 02:10 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Honda Type R - worth it for the V-Tec
Old 18 December 2003, 02:39 PM
petrolhead1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the great advise everybody. My mind is now made up!
Old 18 December 2003, 02:54 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

FTO is great .... if you are 21 and you're into racing around in Tokyo with a Joypad.

Old 18 December 2003, 07:19 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

Changing the manifold on UK cars is one of the few ways to gain power easily.
Yeah OK pedant!

I guess the mainfold could technically be considered part of the exhaust although when you get a new exhaust fitted do they change the manifold? No I don't think they do!!!!

The point I was making is that the Honda exhaust (excluding the manifiold ) is as good as anything. Actually the point I was making is that in standard form this car is further on than most in terms of performance tuning.

Oh never mind

tiggers.
Old 18 December 2003, 08:15 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

FTO's like their bigger GTO brothers have some parts on them that are VERY expensive! You might want to consider that before you fork out.

One of the sensors is something daft like £500+VAT.
Old 18 December 2003, 08:39 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

No worries tiggers

Manifold/exhaust/whatever - safe in the knowledge we're both right about one thing , our choice of car
Old 18 December 2003, 09:04 PM
ando
Scooby Regular

I had my timing belt changed for £200 on the fto, so I dunno where the daft figure came from before! The servicing is cheap if you don't use Mitsi, seems pretty easy to find a local person who'll touch it, look on the forums such as www.jcars.co.uk

The handling is ace, spec is alright. The only thing I'd say is the brakes are a bit ****, they fade very quickly and produce a load of dust. There's a couple of problems which are cheap to fix.

There's lots of mid-range power, bit slow off the line, depends if you're into racing people off the lights I suppose.

They're far better looking than a Integra in a conventional sense, the Integra is good if you like the ricey racer look, which is fine by me, I like both looks just prefer the FTO's.

The equipment level is okay, not amazingly high, they've got folding mirrors and climate control, early ones don't have ABS. The GPX one is the one that sounds the best with the V-Tech style cam-profiles, really roars at 5000RPM, even more impressive with an induction kit.

Oh yeah get a manual, tiptronics are for people who play cars as if their name were Sega!
Old 18 December 2003, 09:09 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

safe in the knowledge we're both right about one thing , our choice of car
Amen to that Mooseracer

Tiggers.

Edited to spell my username right - Doh!

[Edited by tiggers - 12/18/2003 9:12:13 PM]