Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Hassled by a BMW 530d

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 01:28 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Off the lights we both gave it some, I didn't WOT it, as a twisty (c) was coming up. Anyway, stayed parallel to 50, I started pulling away slowly, bounced of the rev limiter in 2nd. Bring on 3rd gear and it looked like he was going in reverse (maybe he gave up?).

I think unless you get a decent start, these tractors really do shift - certainly had me surprised.

Could it have been chipped? It had big alloys, and looked like an M5.
Old 15 December 2003, 01:32 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
They are fairly nippy- used to have a run in with a 330D on the way to work almost daily. He gave up eventually after constant humiliation. I presume the 530D is a bit slower due to its excess weight.
Nice cars though, just not fast.
Old 15 December 2003, 01:52 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Nacro getting the first reply in on a "performance diesel" related topic......

The are quick cars, must be why the traffic police use them as pursuit vehicles eh!?

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 December 2003, 02:26 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
They also use some fast cars in case they need to catch people I presume?

Still must be able to stay on patrol for longer with the big tank/40mpg.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:31 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

lol... Think, I'll leave you dangling on the end of my line for a wee while longer!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 December 2003, 02:34 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

If you like men dangling "off the end of your line" as you put it why not try a homo-love BBS?
Old 15 December 2003, 02:39 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

You chose to take it that way mate... What does that say about you?!

Now what do you say we leave this thread alone, so it can get back to the topic?!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 15 December 2003, 03:01 PM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Like you said, akshay - you didn't use WOT and maybe the the driver in the 330 Diesel aircraft carrier did go all out, you're not exactly going to murder it up to 50 MPH like that.

Old 15 December 2003, 03:08 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had you done that our way (Essex) more than likely to have soon lost:

your keys, license, some money, the I'm faster than you debate & your sense of humour

Our Police force has an unmarked one!!....and it shifts when those lights are on....
Old 15 December 2003, 03:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "What does that say about you?!"
It says I'm a well adjusted guy who while not being a participant in male on male fun can recognise when I'm being stalked by one of the pink brigade. Either that or I'm trying to **** with your mind .

As for leaving it alone dare I say, you started it!!! (wish I had a tongue sticking out smilie at this point!)Ner Ner Ner.

Bring it down to the level of the schoolyard by all means.....
Old 15 December 2003, 06:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can't understand how this can happen. Diesels are soooo slow. They don't perform either. Best get your Scooby checked over. Maybe it was only running on 2 cylinders or something. I'd be worried!

Matt (tongue firmly in cheek)
Old 15 December 2003, 08:11 PM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

Sooo if it looked like an M5 it was probably a 530dA Sport....that being an AUTO.....

But obviously you forgot to take the hand brake off and pulled away in 5th otherwise it wouldn't have stood a chance...

Steve
Old 15 December 2003, 08:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do 50% of Scoobynet threads descend into accusations of homosexuality, its not like its a crime anymore ?

If I liked men I would gamely try and pull them like I do (did, married now) women, suspect I may have had more success !
Old 16 December 2003, 12:41 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Matt - that won't work on me mate - many people have been caught out by diesels!

Anyway, like a said, 3rd gear sorted everything out nicely (decatted and Tek 2'd ))
Old 16 December 2003, 07:43 AM
NACRO
BANNED

ditto J4cko

It seems to offend some people though so in a situation like this one..........whatever works.

BTW BMW 330D, 530D's are slow compared to a quick car............I've seen the evidence at first hand, learn to live with it.
Old 16 December 2003, 02:39 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Akshay,

I know mate! LOL I have a 330d!

Matt
Old 16 December 2003, 03:00 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I read somewhere that a chipped 330d has more torque than an M3 and more bhp than a standard impreza...

This may be something worth investigating for my next car...
Old 16 December 2003, 03:06 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

If it was a 530D it was more than likely an Auto. Father in Law has just sold his for a E320CDi Merc.

The Scoob may do 0-60 in 5ish seconds but that's with a ***** out dump clutch start and a first to second crunch change. Pull of normally in first then floor it and change normally from first to second and I'll bet your looking at between 7 or 8 seconds.

A 530D Auto driver will just need to put his foot to the floor and hold it there and he'll be able to keep up with that sort of take off.

Lee
Old 16 December 2003, 03:08 PM
NACRO
BANNED

My kind to the clutch start without any crunching was measured at 6.1 seconds- fair bit quicker than the time you mention (done in a UK Impreza).
Old 16 December 2003, 03:17 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Not fully scientific or officially timed but I managed just under 6 seconds from a 4500rpm dumped clutch start(Some clutch slip), just over 6 seconds for a 3250rpm clutch friendly(ish) but hard start and around 7.5sec for a normal but brisk pull off with around 2750rpm while feeding in the clutch.
Using a mates performance meter jobby. (Can't remember the name)

Series McRae with Exhaust mods.

Lee
Old 16 December 2003, 03:25 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Sounds very similar- my car is an MY96 wagon with the usual mods-scoobyECU, decat etc at a similar 3K launch. 6 seconds is enough to see off most other cars on the road and will easily leave a 530, 330D for dead, especially going on upto 100mph.

This isn't just theory I drive a route to work everyday that has me making standing starts from peage booths, against maniacal french diesel drivers who seem convinced that their oil burning exec wagons are the fastest thing on the road- they aren't by a long shot. The only time one has "beaten" me is when I have to pull in to fill up again.
No getting away from the fact if you want to cruise at high speeds these modern diesels are the best tools for the job. But ultimately quick? I'm not convinced having handed numerous owners their asses on a plate
Old 16 December 2003, 03:32 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I don't have the Scoob anymore but I have been beaten by big Diesel and Petrol Auto's in the past.

Just expecting to pull off normally and blast into the front but big car man floors the auto and then it's too late do do anything about it until 70mph+

Not saying they are quicker just that it's easy to get caught out when you are not expecting it. They are quick cars at the end of the day and 100% performance is available by just flooring the throttle and letting he electronics do the rest.

Lee
Old 16 December 2003, 03:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs down

says it all really- just flooring the throttle and letting the electronics do the rest- big yawn. Personally if I'm up for a bit of a play then I'll make a good start, if I can't be arsed which is most of the time I just let them get on with it.
It's not possible to be "caught out" if you don't play their game.
While we are on the subject what about all this in gear crap people always quote, as someone else said here recently, when can't you be bothered to change gear?
Old 16 December 2003, 03:41 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Well said that man! If Subaru had meant you not to change gear, then wouldn't they have only given you one?
dave
Old 16 December 2003, 03:52 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Akshay,

A standard 330d/530d has more torque than an E46 M3. I think by about 40ft/lbs or so for the 330d, and 100ft/lbs for the 530d.

My 330d has 204 bhp as standard. Safely (IMHO) chipped it's up to 240 bhp. Torque is pushed to over 400 ft/lbs. Change the exhaust system and both these figures rise further.

Would potentially still be slower than a WRX/STI to 60 or 100, as the gear ratios remain the same. Have to say though that my manual takes two gearchanges to get to 60, and gets there in 6.8 secs. My old STI took 2 gearchanges to get to 60 and was there over 2 seconds sooner.

Matt
Old 16 December 2003, 03:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

When you get it modified it would be interesting to see what sort of times it puts in through all standard indicators. At the moment what is its 0-100 if you've tested it, BTW I know what the magazines say but I don't really trust their figures.

Old 16 December 2003, 04:22 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nacro,

Haven't tested it yet, as I'm still running the thing in. I'll have a go over the weekend though, and let you know. My old 330d was 18.5 seconds if a camcorder at the Nurburgring is to be believed. This was with 40k miles on the clock, so the car was nicely loosened up.

The new one is appreciably quicker going on seat of the pants feel, but by how much remains to be seen. I'd hope to knock a second or tow of the previous cars time.

Matt
Old 16 December 2003, 07:55 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Had a 330d Sport for a year now .
Miss the scoobe (STi) but wouldnt swap it back for one

Darren
Old 16 December 2003, 09:04 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

When you get it modified it would be interesting to see what sort of times it puts in through all standard indicators.
I know my Impreza is marginally quicker with clear indicators

That's a massive amount of torque and with 240 bhp would show UK scoobys a thing or two. Or is the power band too narrow?
Old 17 December 2003, 07:34 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Be interesting to know your BTG times when you go Matt, I'm still a relative novice to the track and can't help having some mechanical sympathy to the car when I go there as I have approx 900 miles to drive home afterwards. I've still only managed to lap in the 8:40's but I'm sure there is some more left in the car, just perhaps not in me.
I'm sure the 'ring would play to the strengths of a powerful, well balanced diesel motor and allow you to put the torque to best effect.

Quick Reply: Hassled by a BMW 530d