Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

-------------------- THE LIST --------------------

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2003, 06:25 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Ive compiled a complete list of all the cars im considered getting for my £7000. Personally the scooby is up there, but still have little niggles about the car, so was considering an alternative to the scooby to replace my E36 325. Heres the list:

Audi A3 1.8T Sport
Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
Accord Type R (high mileage though)
Integra Type R
BMW M3
BMW 328 Sport
Pug 206 GTI
Pug 406 3.0 Coupe
Clio 172
Scooby Turbo UK Std MY97 ish
Celica GT4
EVO 3
FTO GPX
Supra 3.0 non turbo
Golf GTI-T
Merc C class AMG 3.6
200XS (S14)
R33 Skyline GTS
Megane Coupe

Any comments on the list?, or anyone owned any of them, as would like to compare running costs, performance etc to a scooby (yes i know the scooby drinks etc, but read somewhere that a clio 172 does 25mpg aswell!!!)

Thanks

Gav

Old 12 December 2003, 06:28 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Personally i think its between M3, Scooby, Clio Cup and Skyline!
Old 12 December 2003, 06:45 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

apart from the amg merc as I no idea on its stats the quickest straight line car in that list would probally be the Evo3.

I await flames etc etc

obviously I am biased owning one but hey

Running costs are not to bad for early evos as pointed out in another thread "For the earlier Evos 1-3, the service interval is 6,000 miles (or 6 months) with a recommended intermediate oil change every 3,000 miles. The major cam belt service comes around at 40,000 miles."

Cornering is ok but not best in the world. At least as good as scooby of the same vintage.MPG is real bad tho maybe 18/20 mpg

FTO's handle great but are slow but obviously alot cheaper to run.

Friend has a m3 evo and its a great car.Sounds awesome to no idea on its running costs tho
Old 12 December 2003, 06:59 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

I can't understand why you typed in anything other than the M3 (assuming off course that it's a gen-u-ine c 1990's boxy one?)

Can you seriously get an AMG C36 for £7k? Sounds like that'll cost you a sack load of cash in the long run.
Old 12 December 2003, 07:01 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Wink

M3 - every time (NOT!)

Thought I'd better keep my reputation intact!!

Old 12 December 2003, 07:26 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Nah, the M3 was an E36, and did see an AMG 3.6 for sale on autotrader, was a 94M plate. Looked nice, but think im not old enough for one of those!!!

Old 12 December 2003, 11:26 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 13 December 2003, 08:21 AM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

take the 206 of your list mate, I found the seats in a cinema more comfy than the 206 gti (get a mint evo 3, I reckon they look great!)

[Edited by taffyterzo - 12/13/2003 8:24:41 AM]
Old 13 December 2003, 01:17 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Gav -

The Clio 172 definately does more than 25mpg, even if you're nailing it they aint bad and I'm seeing mid 30's on average and into the 40's on a run driving normally in my Cup.

Out of the list you mentioned, my choices (in no specific order) are >>>

Integra Type R
Clio 172
EVO 3
200SX (S14)
R33 Skyline GTS

Old 13 December 2003, 01:18 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

p.s. the Clio will be cheapest to insure, run, service, etc.. too!
Old 13 December 2003, 01:26 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

an E36 m3 for that money will not be the best example.....
328 sports are cracking cars but without the massive M tech running costs
Old 13 December 2003, 03:49 PM
Roger Woods
Scooby Regular

Gav,

My 00 Turbo Scooby has never missed a beat and has 103000 miles on it now, Serviced on the nail great car, we have just bought a new TT cab and I still prefer the Scooby for driving fun and I dont think it would be worth your 7K limit with the miles.

I would have another one tomorrow and out of the 50 odd cars I have had since starting driving its the best car so far, cant see it being sold for a few years if at all, in fact I think it will have a Scooby Clinic re build in a couple of years!!!

Buy one and enjoy!
Old 13 December 2003, 06:35 PM
jackbrm
Scooby Regular

you won't get an AMG merc for 7k, unless it's got huge miles and major issues!! C36's start at around 9k.
Old 15 December 2003, 10:40 AM
gav888
Scooby Regular

have a look under AMG on autotrader, theres a black 94 model!!

But yeh, if it is that cheap, serious probs!!!
Old 15 December 2003, 11:21 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Integra Type R is the best choice out of that lot IMHO.

Better running costs, less depreciation and has more fun handling than an Impreza. I had a choice of Integra or Impreza when i bought my last car but as I needed a practical car had to go for a 5 door Impreza. If it had been a choice between a 4 door Impreza or Integra I'd have taken the Integra without hesitation. IMHO they are just better cars for an enthusiast.

Not to mention better build, Honda reliability and that awesome
V-TEC
Old 15 December 2003, 11:32 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Oh good I can say it now.

Go for the Integra - Nacro is right in every respect - I know, I own one! Superb car!

Definitely avoid the M3 or the 328

tiggers.
Old 15 December 2003, 11:43 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Can you give us an idea of what you want from a car and how important the following are to you?

Performance
Driving pleasure
Comfort
Practicality
Running costs
Insurance
Style

My vote would be for the EVO 3, 200sx or the GT4 but it all depends on what you want from a car.

Mark
Old 15 December 2003, 11:46 AM
gav888
Scooby Regular

how does the integra handle in the wet, thats part of the reason i was looking at 4WD cars, but poss of other quick ones!!!

My car dont handle in the wet. (full stop) and you read so much about 4WD being good in the wet, i dont hammer down lanes, but would be nice if i felt confident whilst driving in the wet.

Also, got a video clip of an integra racing a Type R scooby, in front till the last few corners, but nothing in it, so an integra is good in the dry

What are they like for servicing etc, and mpg. havent done much research on them, but they look nice
Old 15 December 2003, 11:55 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Integras handle great win the wet - just have traction problems from a standing start - as does any high power to weight front wheel drive car.

I'd go so far as to say the Integra is a better handling car than the scoob, wet or dry.

D
Old 15 December 2003, 12:01 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

thats a big statement!!!!

So you saying, in wet or dry, the integra could be quicker than a scooby from A to B.

If thats true, i could be v tempted by one!!!

Is there an integra forum so i get some technical advise??
Old 15 December 2003, 12:06 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

From the list I've had the following.

Audi A3 1.8T Sport
Scooby Turbo UK MY97
Celica GT4 (St205)

The Celica is a lovely car and relatively bullet proof. It is very good fuel wise also.

The fuel bill for the Scoob is horrible.

The A3 had leather and all the bits and bobs and is a nice everyday car. It is not quick compared to the other two but it is fast if you get my drift. Not quick off the mark or around a track but just as fast and easy to drive on the open road. Not fast as in the same point but the Subaru is a chore to drive fast all the time.

The Celica is an excellent highway car also. You don't feel that tired at the end of a trip but it is still a nice involving enough drive.

[Edited by dosenöffner - 12/15/2003 12:09:57 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 12:14 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I agreee with Diablo - an Integra handles better than many Scoobs. That's not to say it will be faster a-b neccassarily.

Integra's have something missing from many cars on your list - finesse.

Old 15 December 2003, 12:23 PM
ADL-ATR
Scooby Regular

For honda go to http://forum.hondarevolutions.com/index.php
if you have a qestion it has already been asked at least twice use the search function as the girls and guys there do not like saying it twice. The ITR is hugely capable on most conditions, yes the wet and icy twisties.......yawn.....Not that may people will be driving flat out in these conditions. The ITR is great looking, noisy sure footed and above all rare. There are loads of the above cars on the road. Some people have owned both and are able to comment on either.
Old 15 December 2003, 12:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I've only test driven the Integra and owned the Impreza-

The Integra was better in almost every respect except practicality and noise at speed. If you want a pure performance car these don't matter-get the Integra.
Old 15 December 2003, 01:11 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Well i got a E36 325, that is comfy, quite quick and dont handle too well, so im looking for a faster car, straight line, and also alot faster round a corner.

Not too fussed about motorways as dont use them much. The roads i use every day are B roads, quite twisty and a few straights aswell, i have raced my mate in his GTI-6 and we are matched along the roads

I use the car every day, but only do about 20odd miles a day in it, i have an odd blast a weekends, but havent bothered in the BM, dont feel like i can have fun in it.

Insurance isnt really a prob, quite happy to pay £800 if its what i want, and mpg, well the BM does 25mpg and thats not thrashing it, well not really going over 4,000 actually so does drink.

As i said, something fast, better handling, fun to drive, waste my mates GTI6 but dont cost the world to run (that sounds like everyones dream)

Oh, and 1 very important thing, its got to be reliable, i hate cars that go wrong, my lst few have gone wrong (they wernt jap or german though) and the bm, although hasnt gone wrong, things have worn out, ie suspension, bushes etc, and there are annoying rattles. and the seats dont hold you in place. So the car has to hold you (aarrrhh int that sweet ) and be reliable. Dont want to goto the garage and pay out huge bills for blown turbos/head gaskets etc.

[Edited by gav888 - 12/15/2003 1:15:05 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 01:28 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

gav88,

By that description your car is indeed the Integra.

Go on, you know you want to!!

Edited to add the following:-

As for servicing - had mine for 12 months - had two services - total around the £200 for the two. Done 21K in mine (had 13K on when I bought it) and nothing has gone wrong at all. MPG - depends how you drive it - lazy cruise 30-35mpg, spirited drive - 20-25 mpg, less if you're an absolute animal.

One point to note though - must have Optimax, Super or the like or 95 with a good octane booster.

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 12/15/2003 1:33:18 PM]
Old 15 December 2003, 01:55 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,

Why Optimax etc, dont these cars run on normal 95RON???

Also whats it like noise wise, they are stripped out cars, so no noise protection i think??

Ps

Any pics of your beast.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:02 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

These things redline at 9000rpm and run VTEC hence I guess they are just tuned to run on 98 octane. It's no big deal as it's available most places and 95 can be supplemented by octane booster if necessary.

As for the noise yes it's noisier on the motorway than some, but otherwise you won't notice it and it's not that bad. On A, B roads you'll want the window down to hear the VTEC kick in at 6000 rpm - it's awesome.

It's such a focused car - great engine, slick gear change, wonderful handling, 'flat' cornering, Recaro seats etc. etc. - give one a try. BTW don't worry about the reliability - it's a Honda!

Sorry, I haven't got any pics - I drive it rather than photograph it!

tiggers.
Old 15 December 2003, 02:21 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

LOL, cheers for the advise. Its on my final list now heres what ive found out so far from chatting

Audi A3 1.8T Sport - hmm not bad, still a possability
Audi A4 2.8 Quattro - nop, as needs a body kit and big wheels, so too expensive that way.
Accord Type R (high mileage though) - High mileage so NO
Integra Type R - Yep could be
BMW M3 - Way too expensive to maintain.
BMW 328 Sport - Not much better than what ive got, same problems, ie RWD = no fun in the wet.
Pug 206 GTI - Girly
Pug 406 3.0 Coupe - Nice looking, but the 3.0 drinks more than a scooby, and not as reliable as a jap/german car.
Clio 172 - still a poss, but not too mean looking, so nah.
Scooby Turbo UK Std MY97 - yep
Celica GT4 - yep
EVO 3 - Cost more to run, and not 100% on the looks, if we was talking about a 5/6 then easly one of the top cars.
FTO GPX - Nah, not sure on the looks, but nice interior.
Supra 3.0 non turbo - Drinks, expensive to run and RWD.
Golf GTI-T - Bit boxy, unless the R32 bodykit is cheap??
Merc C class AMG 3.6 - Way too expensive
200XS (S14) - RWD, looks nice when done up.
R33 Skyline GTS - Expensive and RWD.
Megane Coupe - Hairdresser.

So its now.

Audi A3 1.8 T - Nice looking, needs 18" wheels and colour coding, cheap to run and ins, but not the quickest or best handling.

Integra Type R - Again nice looking, handles, needs 17" wheels, cheapish to run, great handling and goes well at high revs.

Impreza Turbo - Drinks (well same as my bm) handles well, looks mean but needs 17" wheels and big spoiler, goes well, more praticle, sounds great, not as reliable as the honda?

Celica GT4 (ST205)- bit cheaper than the impreza to run, handles well, dont think its upto impreza but still good. looks nice but needs 17" wheels and big spoiler, not sure on reliabilty, some say v good others say some probs? goes well enough, oldest car for the money.

Hmm, need to think about this a bit more.

Old 15 December 2003, 02:29 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Not so sure about the reliabilty Honda V Subaru- my bet would be on Honda but UK Imprezas seem to be pretty damn reliable (if somewhat more fragile than the Honda)

Quick Reply: -------------------- THE LIST --------------------