Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 05:16 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal preference is, in a large engined car ie 3.0 plus, automatic. Otherwise stick to a manual m8!
dave

[Edited by misty - 12/2/2003 5:17:14 PM]
Old 12 February 2003, 05:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Autoboxes are physically the same as they were 30years ago. So nothing has changed...apart from the shifting is done by electronically controlled servo's rather than hydraulic valves and governors

So, effciency and thus performance is no different. Manuals are lighter, sap less power and thus are faster and better on fuel than autos.

The only thing that's changed is the controlability.

Now, things get a bit interesting when you look at automated-
manual boxes (i.e latest M3)

edited to add: Autos tend to far more Taller geared than manuals in the lower gears (i.e 1st and 2nd). Thus acelaration suffers even more

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/2/2003 5:53:27 PM]
Old 02 December 2003, 11:35 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Am I right in thinking that modern cars with automatics are pretty much the same with regards to performance and economy as manuals. If so why go for manuals? In-gear figures always seem to be quicker than manuals too. Given the choice what would you go for?
Old 02 December 2003, 11:37 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

MANUAL

Unless its a big barge E class merc 5/7 series BM etc
Old 02 December 2003, 11:46 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Why manual? Is it because it supposed to give you more driver involvement? Surely if gear changing is handled by the car, that leaves you concentrate more on steering, braking/accellerating and getting a better line on challenging routes.
Old 02 December 2003, 11:58 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Old 02 December 2003, 12:02 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

quote...Surely if gear changing is handled by the car, that leaves you concentrate more on steering, braking/accellerating and getting a better line on challenging routes.

If only... more like it side tracks you hoping that the autobox won't change up a gear just when your coming to a tight corner...

In addition manuals are lighter and in the 'right' hands always faster than a auto (albeit that us mortals would change gear less perfectly and slower in the real world than any auto)...

Porsche, Ferrari and others have tried to embrace the best of both worlds - clutchless manual - albeit my experience of Tiptronic isnt overwhelming and I prefer my manual 'box.

Gastro
Old 02 December 2003, 12:10 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

In-gear figures always seem to be quicker than manuals too
These figures are misleading. In gear times in a manual are just that, IN GEAR times. In an automatic when you floor it, it will kickdown any accelerate THROUGH THE GEARS.

Compare the 'through the gears' times for a better comparison.

Generally I prefer small or sports cars to be manuals and big/luxury cars to be automatics.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:11 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I have had manuals and autos

I would rather have any auto instead of a manual box with a poor gearchange/poor ratios

a good manual box is a pleasure to drive but in traffic an auto is easier and you can hold your phone as you dont have to change gear
Old 02 December 2003, 12:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to pick a fight or anything, I've always driven manuals and having driven an automatic recently (BMW 535) it left me wondering why bother with manual when automatics do a pretty good job in the real world everyday driving. eg, when stuck in slow moving traffic, theres no need to constantly engage and disengage the clutch, cruising on motorways and overtaking is pretty much effortless. The auto I driven also had a sport mode allowing you to hold on to the revs longer so it won't change up when in mid corner. Just looking at things from a different perspecive, It seems there are more advantages to having auto than manuals.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:17 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can't hold your phone (legally) since yesterday!

Plums......
Old 02 December 2003, 12:23 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i was being funny
Old 02 December 2003, 12:38 PM
civictyper
Scooby Regular

Why manual? Is it because it supposed to give you more driver involvement? Surely if gear changing is handled by the car, that leaves you concentrate more on steering, braking/accellerating and getting a better line on challenging routes.
My CTR has one of the slickest of gear changes arround (for the money) and I love it so would not really want to swap for an auto box TBH.

True, having both hands on the steering wheel is safer but if you choose the right line and do all your housekeeping before/after manouvers then it's not so much of a problem IMO.
Old 02 December 2003, 12:43 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Autos use more fuel and waste a bit of power. They're fine if you drive about sensibly, but if you're driving at the limits of adhesion and are using the throttle to balance the car - they're obviously a no no. Of course none of use drive like that on the public roads
Old 02 December 2003, 02:16 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have a 540 auto....why on earth anyone buys a manual version (which exists) amazes me.

95% of the time an auto is easiest (would you want manual windows) and the other 5% a good auto (with tiptronic/steptronic style feature) is nearly as good.

for me to have 10/10 benifits 95% and 8/10 5% is better than a manual where (unless i was looking for every last drop of power) i would resent having to change gear as much as i would resent having to turn on my wipers when it rains or turn up the stero when i drive faster...these things are auto for a reason!

T
Old 02 December 2003, 02:18 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

tiggs was that an intetional auto symbol at the bottom of your post
Old 02 December 2003, 04:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Old 02 December 2003, 05:06 PM
Scooby Regular

Autos are fine for taking the hassle out of driving, but I like to know that when I put my foot down I get an instant response rather than slurring from the gearbox and drive a second later.

Having driven a couple of thousand miles in an auto E-Class recently, I'd FAR rather have a manual. This gives me a problem - I love really big saloons, but I can't get an S-Class/7-series/A8 because they're auto-only, an A6 manual only goes up to the 3 litre (though I could always go for the 2.7TT I suppose), and there's very little else I want.

So I'll probably go for a 540 manual next time round, or an M5 if I can stretch to that. After that though, I can see even fewer manual boxes being available, though perhaps if they're as good as the DSG system I needn't worry too much.
Old 02 December 2003, 05:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"So I'll probably go for a 540 manual next time round"

then you are mad! (and you wont be able to sell it!)

if you like manuals just stick it in manual mode. when i put my foot down the power is instant..the only delay is while the traction control figures out if my 285 rear tyres are sliding everywhere or not!

T

ps- an example.....pouring rain leaving Mway on a long bending sliproad felt like 85-95 (a guess )

see a TT fly up behind me so i stick it in manual a drop a gear.....i could not have selected a lower gear quicker in a manual....booted it, back end stepped out, traction corrected, back end out, traction corrected...all the while gathering speed effortlessly.....onto the dual lane A road i was joining, TT miles behind...back in auto, wafted home. only got stuck in traffic 3 mins later- stop start all the way but never touched the gearstick once till i was home!
Old 03 December 2003, 08:31 PM
Big Lee2
Scooby Regular

I`m in the auto fan club my Volvo T5 is an auto & with sport mode it really does go! I`m willing to sacrifice a little power & fuel economy for the ease of use of an auto box.

Autos rule!!

Anyway I`ve got a motorbike if I want to go about in a flurry of gearchanges!
Old 03 December 2003, 10:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am selling an Automatic Corsa 1.4 if you are interested, thought not, I see its market as being the elderley, infirm, disabled, deaf (its noisy) or those people that cant get the hang of a clutch and gears, what do they call them, retards (maureen off driving school perhaps).

Its hillarious, it has a sports mode, from what I can see it just makes more noise, the engine must be connected to the driven wheels in some way but whatever it is, it isnt a very good way that bins about 50% of the already meagre power output to noise.

Good autos are wonderful and enjoyable, bad ones are very bad but the same can be said of Manuals. Have driven a 100 bhp Diesel Golf Auto and it sounds evil but it was actually very good, you never can tell.
Old 03 December 2003, 11:01 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ali,

A bit misleading mate.

An internal combustion engine is basicaly the same as 30 years ago but the advances are huge.

You can't compare an old 3 speed vacuume auto with todays 5 and 6 speed electronic auto's. Modern boxes even have the torque convertor under ECU control and nearly all modern auto's lock the convertor in higher gears so you have direct drive with no or very little losses.

The answer to the manual/auto question is....

... depends on the car. Big luxury saloons should have an autobox IMO and smaller performance cars (Scooby) should have a manual. This shows up in the second hand market, just try and sell a second hand manual XJ Jag or an Auto WRX.

SMG boxes are OK and are great on the open road but are still a pain to drive smoothly round town. I have just sold one.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 December 2003, 12:28 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

With 3 litres & 2 turbo's, yes please, I'll stick with my lovely auto especially for when I get stuck in traffic
Old 04 December 2003, 06:48 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

at least you wont fry the clutch or get the dreaded judddder