Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

previous version Evo vs STi reliability???

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 06:48 AM
meisnerboy2
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

You may or may not know that the evo 8 is the first evo we have had to hit our shores in America.

We also have the STi for the first time ever.

As a general car company, Mitsubishi has had questionable (at best) reliability. In the US most think of Honda and Toyota as being amongst the best. Some say Subaru is up there too. But not many would say DSM would rank high as a manufacturer.

My Question...
How would you judge the EVOs of the past as compared to the STi's of the past in terms of quality and reliability?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 29 October 2003, 09:02 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Just got back to the UK from Arizona and saw my first ever EVO 8 in the US while I was there - didn't know you guys had them so it was a bit of a surprise.

Check out the EVO Buyers Guide and the forum at Mitsubishi Lancer Register for info on the reliability of the EVO - they seem to tell it like it is.

As for the Scooby STI - having owned Scoobs for six years I would say they are very reliable, but not quite up to the Honda/Toyota standards (currently own an Integra and have owned several Corolla GTI's so I am somewhat qualified to comment).

Scoot through the techincal forums on here to get an idea of any regular problems and how to sort them.

Having never owned an EVO I can't say which I think is the more reliable, but I wouldn't think there'd be much to choose between them.

Good luck and welcome to Scoobynet.

tiggers.

[Edited by tiggers - 10/29/2003 9:03:12 AM]
Old 29 October 2003, 09:33 AM
C
Scooby Regular

How would you judge the EVOs of the past as compared to the STi's of the past in terms of quality and reliability?
Better car all round, more focussed, quicker, higher spec etc etc.

As for reliability depends whether you are tuning or not - the Evo block in standard form is good for 800bhp apparently (obviously you would need to uprate the internals lol) I cant think of a standard Scooby block that takes 300bhp less than that without being close decked etc...

From what I gather the Evo engine is very similar to the cossie engine in its design? - its quite underpowered & you can get good gains for little outlay

There are a couple of guys running well over 400bhp on the standard block & internals with no problems & serious mileage!, try doing that in a scooby
Old 29 October 2003, 04:12 PM
meisnerboy2
Scooby Newbie

Tiggers and C,

Thanks for your replies and the welcome! I looked at the evo forum and posted my question there as well.

Take care,
Steve
Old 30 October 2003, 03:44 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

EVO reliability ?

4G63 engine and gearbox are very strong.

Clutch replacements start at ~5,000 miles and virtually all have need a new clutch by 20,000. (and its a bugger to change!)

AYC diff is ok if the oil is changed every 4,500 miles but can fail with as little as 8,000 miles if abused and are not repairable and a new one is ~£2,500 (though as the rally boys junk them you can get unused ones for about £1000)

Suspension bushes tend to go loose but are fairly cheap to change.

No idea about ACD (mine did not have one)

If you get a US 8, remove the anti intrusion bar from behind the front bumper, weighs too much and its not needed.

Fantastic car, but don't sound very good. I took an EVO 8 and an Impreza STi8 for back to back test drives and actually enjoyed the STi more (which suprised me, being an EVO owner) so much so that I now have an STi
Old 30 October 2003, 08:00 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Take a look at the both MLR site and scoobynet technical forums as it points to where people are having problems with both cars. No car is 100 reliable and they all have weak points.
Old 15 December 2003, 11:50 AM
Resident-Evo-il
Scooby Newbie

EVO reliability ?

owned it for 2 years without a single problem

Old 15 December 2003, 07:30 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

C, since we are talking about the US spec STi here (with the EJ257 semi closed 2.5 litre motor) what makes you think it won't run 400bhp+ on standard internals reliably? People are still learning about this one but I got the impression this engine and the 6 speed gearbox will handle that sort of power without "going internal". The scoob may still be a little more (an FMIC would be wise at that power output) but apart from that I don't think the modding cost of the US 8s will be that different.

Besides which, I find the reliability of a modded car has more to do with the person doing the modding than the car you started with.

Just MHO
Old 15 December 2003, 07:33 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ooops just saw the start date of this thread

How do threads from the past get dragged up like this anyway?
Old 17 December 2003, 10:09 AM
evoviifan
Scooby Regular

"evos don't sound very good"??????

My VII FQ300 sounds like a plane taking off when you boot it...It is so loud and IMHO it sounds the biz.

I am not saying it sounds as good a some scoobs but it is certainly excellent (sound wise) in its own right.

Everybody I take out in the car says it sounds amazing.