Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Carb problem help needed

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 01:07 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
im hoping theres some carb experts on here, as I am stumped. Ive been having a few niggles with my lancia beta volumex (weber 36 dca) - hot starting troubles mainly and a possible rich running problem.

I removed the carb and overhauled it - jets and emulsion tubes were perfect. I changed the float needle err. thing but the real problem seemed to be that I dont believe that a manual choke conversion that had been fitted was actually attached to the choke butterflies! The air correction screws were done up all the way in as well. I attached the choke properly but the car will now not start. Ive adjusted the air correction screws to what I think should be their factory settings but still no joy. Help! help help help!
Old 16 October 2003, 01:40 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Chris, so you don't think the choke flaps were closing at all, and the air screws were all the way in?

Sounds like it was set way too rich, to help with cold starting. Are you sure the choke flaps are now working correctly? Try returning the aircscrews to the setting they had before, and see if it starts.

If you can get it running and warmed up then you've got a fighting chance of getting it dialled in right.

Keep us posted.
Old 16 October 2003, 02:46 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

I think the choke flaps were just err. swinging in the breeze before. The reason I think it didnt absolutely destroy the car running is thus - started when cold because the air correction screws were all the way in, ran all right when going because the vacuum forced the choke flaps open and didnt start for f all when on a hill because the flaps were part closed due to gravity.

I have taken the part of the air intake off above the carb and verified the choke flaps are still working correctly. Just about to try putting the air screws all the way back in
Old 16 October 2003, 03:05 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

Nope. just put the screws all the way in as they were and still nothing. Ill check I do have spark in a minute as this seems a bit much and i did do some gunking and engine cleaning while I had the carb off. Although the dizzy etc. were nowhere near....
Old 16 October 2003, 03:52 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

Getting spark from the coil.... havent checked from dizzy as im doing the foolish thing and assuming its there. Ill check that again in a minute. its cold aside and im getting frustrated.
Old 16 October 2003, 05:20 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Chris, the other thing is you've replaced the float needle ... is fuel getting through from the carb into the manifold (i.e. are the plugs wet with fuel, or dry)?
Old 16 October 2003, 06:34 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

I can see the fuel dripping into the manifold (theres a puddle there to tell the truth!). Plugs were soaked so ive taken them out, cleaned them up and dried them out - in the oven - resulted in a bit of chuffing but no proper fire disconnected the vacuum advance hose as it was before I removed the carb.