Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2003, 10:09 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any views from anyone who's had one please...

Sprog on the way - want something big and safe with a bit of grunt... liked it when i test drove one - but what are they like to live with? What models the best?

Cheers,

Jza
Old 13 October 2003, 11:38 AM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

They are alot of car for the money but:

very expensive to service,
very very expensive to run
and worst of all when they go wrong they go wrong properly

I think you would be better off with an ML or Shogun etc etc

Just my opinion tho
Old 13 October 2003, 11:42 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I've been in a few and been forced into the back seat- it made me terribly car sick (don't usually suffer from this) due to the way it wallowed around. I've since heard this is a common complaint amongst owners.

If you buy one don't forget the sick bags.
Old 13 October 2003, 12:00 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

wouldnt bother
My brother and My old man have one each and i borrowed my old mans for a week when my engine blew and they have all the toys go like stink and will beat a golf gti away from the lights you'll just have to make sure there is a petrol station 50 yards away when you do it (i think aveage 17 to gallon was the best i could get driving like a wuss).

On the practical side they do not have a very big boot for such a big car and trying to get the seat belt around my 8 month olds rocker tot was a nightmare it would only just reach and the inertia reel would jam half way round so you would have to start all over again.

Handling ???? forget it like trying to carry a plate of jelly across a bouncy castle when your pissed and not even supposed to be that good on the brown lumpy stuff either.

got a mate with a GSI Zafira which he is very impressed with goes better and cost half the price and more practical.

[Edited by mattstant - 10/13/2003 12:02:09 PM]
Old 13 October 2003, 02:50 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

If your other half is going to be driving it, get her to lift
the pram into the boot of any car you are testing. See if you're going to be visiting a physio/osteo/chiropractor soon after the birth.

My wife has an Outback H6, which while not so far off the ground as these SUVs, retains some handling finesse while being plenty big for shopping+pram, 2 rear child seats (3 if you are absolutely barking or have money to burn on childcard/therapy); and can keep up with the neon brigade. 24mpg round town, up to 29mpg on a run.
Probably quite useful with the new model's 245PS engine with equal length manifold.
Old 13 October 2003, 04:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy I know had the Diesel, the engine went mental one day on the Motorway, they pull over and it just continues to rev so they decide to get out quick, problem was that his wife was heavily pregnant and fell hurting herself quite badly, caused her to go into labour early, luckily everything turned out ok but scary stuff. Jeep just replaced the car without a quibble.

Oh, the Petrol one is quite eay to get into single figures mpg, we had one at work (Early LHD V8) and even the directors blanched at how much it chewed through, was quite fast for a big lump though, saying that a Clio 16 valve absolutely murdered it.

Old 13 October 2003, 05:33 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

If you get one, get it LPG coverted, you'll need too!!!!
Old 13 October 2003, 06:20 PM
Ralf Paris
Scooby Regular

I had one and loved it to bits. One of the favorite cars that ive owned (30+ cars!)

Yeah it likes a drink but it performs well and is very comfortable. All the toys are included. Just make sure you get a warranty as mine had diff problems after approx. 40k miles and was a bugger to get fixed.

Enjoy.
Old 13 October 2003, 08:59 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

I had the turbo diesel one as I'd previously had a petrol Cherokee and never ceased to be amazed at the fuel consumption. Dealer just smugly said "we don't promise fuel economy with these models sir!"

Single figure mpg not uncommon with 4.7 V8 and servicing costs very expensive but lovely car to drive.

I also run a Pajero so I sold the Jeep and just use the Pajero now. Much better car all round.
Old 14 October 2003, 08:27 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Are they safe for your sprog?

Surely from a driving dynamics and interior safety point of view they are more dangerous than a decent estate or suchlike?
Old 14 October 2003, 08:30 AM
Scooby Regular

Big, safe, bit of grunt?

Audi A6 Avant 2.5TDI auto. Loads of space, handle well, stylish, depreciate like a falling coffin (see other thread!) so buy 2nd hand
Old 14 October 2003, 12:07 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

We have one that also runs on LPG. Can't fault it but dealers are not brilliant. It is probably the only dual fuel vehicle I have driven where I can't really detect a loss of power when on LPG. Merecdes ML320 felt as though it lost about 30%.

TONY
Old 14 October 2003, 12:47 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Blimey.... thats about 80% against then!

I'll look at the Outback as well then...

Thanks for the input guys and sensible comments about prams!!

Jza
Old 14 October 2003, 04:08 PM
Barrie
Scooby Regular

Would agree with the comments above, had a grand cherokee, superb motor but bloody expensive to run - petrol, servicing, petrol, repairs, petrol.....

Also difficult to lift the baby seat into as the seats are quite high, and the boot aint that big - I sold the GC and bought a WRX wagon and the boot is just as big! Well almost!

Would agree with the comment re testing if the buggy would fit, we did this and it made us think twice about what buggy to buy ( well we werent selling the scoob ) Meet a women in a lift once with this big pram thing who told me how she had to dismantle the thing everytime she needed to go somewhere (wheels off the works) - doh!

Anyway - the coob is now for sale if I can interest u

Happy hunting!