Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vauxhall Omega ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2003, 09:54 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the Omega, be very careful with the 2.5, as it has a known problem with cmabelts and head gaskets. The cambelt needs regular changes and they must have the tensioners done at the same time. Walk away or bid low if there is no proof of the change being done properly. Similarly the 2.0 16v needs care with the cambelt, but its less expensive to sort, being a 4-cyl. Cabins are tough, electrics can go on the blink though, dashboard displays usually. Being an older car but with a Cat conveter make sure its working properly. Oh and the usual one to look out for in the advert is, the A/C needs re-gassing, bollox... If the A/C has stopped working, then you can usually bet the pump seals are gone too. If you don't use the A/C regularly the seals dry out and perish, and instead of a re-gas its a complete overhaul to sort it. If they say it needs a re-gas, tell them you'll pay for the re-gas if they get it done and the A/C is working when you pick it up, it soon sorts out the jokers.

The Carlton, is a great old bus. I used to have a cheap smoker to run around in, a 2.0GLi. Engine is old tech and reliable, just watch out for oil consumption. But the biggest killer on the Carlton are the sills, suspension and diffs. Give the underneath a thorough once over, and listen for a singing diff when on a run, avoid that and theres little to go wrong. If it does they are simple to fix yourself.

[Edited by Reffro - 10/8/2003 9:55:36 AM]
Old 06 October 2003, 09:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am considering taking my MK2 Golf off the road because its done 83k and I dont want to pile any more miles on it, its still in good nick and I want it to stay that way and dont want to put it through another winter. I am quite attached to it having had it in the family from new and have invested quite a lot of time (and some money) into it, hence

Considering buying something for winter and the old Omega sprang to mind, 1500 quid gets a tidy N reg with 80/90k on, I know they drive well but are they a nightmare to own ?, I like the idea of comfort and abs as the Golf is low and hard and very skittish in the wet. Just want something to lollop along for 1500 quid and then sell it and not lose much in 12 months time.

Old 06 October 2003, 10:07 PM
zero77
Scooby Regular

Watched an N' Plate go through the auction today for £800 and it sold under the hammer, it was a 2.0 16v and was in very good condition. I think you would be better off with the 2.5 as 2.0 would be gutless on such a big car.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Zero, not all that bothered about speed and to be honest the old Carlton looks like a better bet, 500 quid for a K reg with Tax and Test and they dont seem to suffer the same problems as the Omega, also the old Granada is cheap for an L reg.

Just want cheap old barge for winter so I can spare my Golf salt and mad Manchester drivers.
Old 06 October 2003, 11:05 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

£1500 would get you an N reg Saab 9000. Another big comfy barge that can take the miles.
Old 07 October 2003, 08:47 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I drove the omega a few years back and it was very nice - i think it was a 2 litre and wasn't that bad performance wise.

This is the only time you find ME praising a Vauxhall LOL

Old 08 October 2003, 10:04 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

What's the point of having a car you don't drive?!!
Old 08 October 2003, 09:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Jlang, have had it 15 years (in the family), I want to preserve and develop it further, I want to go a bit more extreme with the suspension etc so it wont be a good daily driver (it isnt now really, too noisy and hard)

Reffro, have come to the same opinion myself, The Omega looks like a pain in the **** with lots of problems, especially at mileage wheras the Carlton seems a lot more dependable with the added bonus that if you cant fix it, just scrap it and get another !