Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Around 6K for sporty little number?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 10:12 AM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since selling my modified GTi-R earlier this year (and swanning off to Oz for a couple of months to spend redundancy money) I now have a new job and need to buy a new car.
I ultimately want something that isnt going to break down but is reasonable to run and insure...and a bit sporty/fun. I dont want to spend all my money on my car like I have done in the past
I've recently been looking at these...
200SX (S14) - Not 100% keen on the looks but RWD and still turbo (undecided on this one still).
Clio Williams - Like it's cult status, but French and not sure I'd trust reliability.
Honda Civic VTi incl Jordan edition - Have friends who've spent lots on these with no real perfomance gains) apart from sounding v nice).
Pug GTi-6/Rallye - Heard good things but still French and look exactly the same as a Diesel version.
Pug 106Gti/Saxo VTS - Not sure I can see myself in one of these but if I had to make a choice would be the 106
Golf GTi's - Never liked golf's but it could hold value better than the rest (where are my slippers?).

The only car I really fancy is an Integra Type R but prices vary a lot and are still a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. I really want something Jap.

Can anyone think of anything else!? Or have any advice as driving around in my Mum's Rover 100 (with walnut dash) is driving me insane...(thanks for the loan of the car though mum!)
Cheers

Old 15 September 2003, 10:40 AM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Hi there, had a similar dilemma a few months back with a maximum of 6k to spend. In the end I plumped for a 99 306 Rallye, which is a fine car and lives up to the hype for a change.

Ruled out the 106/Saxo as being far too small and cramped.

Clio Williams ruled out as for the same money they'd be a few years older with higher miles. And French cars don't wear the miles too well.

Civic Jordan - was considering one of these, although not as good a drivers car as the Pug, Honda build is better so it will withstand years of thrashing without bits falling off.
I wanted a Jordan as there aren't many about and the normal VTis basically look cack. Not much slower than the 306 when wound up according to some head to heads at muppet central Santa Pod, but you really have to wind them up apparantly - and I thought the current Civic Type R was bad enough. I was about to test drive one but bought the Pug first.

Mid 90s Impreza WRX, clocked to the standard "48,000 miles" that importers usually do. Ruled out due to being a potential money pit, both to insure and run.

[Edited by TurboBoost - 9/15/2003 10:44:44 AM]
Old 15 September 2003, 10:43 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Pug GTi-6/Rallye - Heard good things but still French and look exactly the same as a Diesel version
That's half the fun. Take the badges off and watch the jaws drop when she hitches up and dissapears
Old 15 September 2003, 12:58 PM
AlmeraTastic
Scooby Newbie

Biased I know but Almera GTi ? (Nearly) the same engine as your old GTiR, nippy, handles, practical (enough room for the shopping) and very reliable.
Old 15 September 2003, 02:57 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I've had both a 106 GTi and a 306 Rallye, both of which were superb!

You won't go far wrong with either of these two mate...
Old 15 September 2003, 04:22 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far, think I'd go for a 306 over the 106, still interested in the 200SX and Civic if anyone has any more opinions on those !
Only thing that puts me off a Jordan edition is the colour! Everyone I've asked about them says they cant stand the colour!
Cheers
Really don't like the Almera at all unfortunately
Old 15 September 2003, 09:08 PM
Marco Polo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

why don't you buy a left hand drive m3 the old one style one d/e/f/g/h reg and when you come to sell it you will still get the same money you bought it for

Marco
Old 15 September 2003, 09:46 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

I've got a 1.6 VTi Civic Coupe, and all I can say is for £7k its real good fun!! (Air-con and elec sunroof, electric heated powered mirrors....all the toys). When you wind it up it really goes but looks so ordinary.....I really like the wolk in sheeps clothing angle. Its also pretty economical and with usual Honda reliability. The Coupe is fairly rare, I've only seen one other on the roads in 5 weeks!!