Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thanks to rover

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 01:11 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I personally like the looks of the BRM and half the reason for the external looks hark back to the racers from the 50/60s. Even the interior I quite like - but then no one has ever put red leather in a car before (to mention porsche) or stuck aluminium or fake stick on alu on a dash - in an impreza.

The BRM is a seriously underated car and unless you've driven one there's no position to comment. They go and handle very VERY well, and have a superb spec level, and then take into account what you can pic them up for............

I don't own one, I've owned a 205 GTi 1.9 (and do again), 306 GTi-6, Uk Scoob @ 270bhp and a 350bhp Supra, and I still reckon its a top motor, even having owned that lot - FFS, its my ex's car and if I can still big it up considering my ex owns one

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 9/2/2003 1:12:53 AM]
Old 09 March 2003, 01:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I see where your coming from but personally I'd class a close ratio gearbox and torsen diff as pretty fundamental changes to the characteristics of the car, thus more than tarting up. It also ran 16" alloys with wider rubber and a different suspension setup which was so much better than any other rover before it, including the Vi. They then used the sus setup for the Rover 25 GTi as it had been highly praised on the BRM, and the 25 GTi - another understated car.

As for the same engine and bodyshell - loads of car manus do the same thing - look at Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda etc........

So as I said - IMHO thats more than tarting up, hence my post.

[Edit for my fecky crap spooling]

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 9/3/2003 1:29:16 PM]
Old 09 March 2003, 03:58 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

The Bugeye Impreza was a failure. Subaru believed that the abilities of the car would sell it regardless of its appearance. It didn't work out that way, and with increased competition in the same performance sector, Subaru had to very quickly change the looks of the car. It would also appear that the die-hard Impreza fans are (in general) unhappy with the standard WRX's performance too, as most opt for the PPP or go for the STi version.

Yes this thread is entitled "Thanks to rover" but Rover is not the only FAILURE mentioned on it.

[Edited by Duck_Pond - 9/3/2003 3:59:27 PM]
Old 09 March 2003, 04:57 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
You seem to be being deliberatly obtuse- the whole company ROVER was the only one that was a FAILURE. Clear enough now?- why on earth you want to talk about other manufacturers in a thread about Rovers seems to me like lame *** blame shifting.

Start another thread the failure of the bug eye Impreza or Why the Porsche 912 was crap or whatever, try to keep this one on topic ie The Rover "streetwise" and associated failures or there really is little poimt carrying on.

Just in case you can't seem to get the point I've added this edit- the whole company that used to be known as Rover went down the pan because it produced crap products and was sold down the river by BMW. I'm not talking about one model but THE WHOLE COMPANY- hopefully you will be able to understand this now.

[Edited by NACRO - 9/3/2003 4:58:54 PM]
Old 09 April 2003, 06:45 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

WWSD WROTE: "ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS" .... yes it can indeed be ... here's why ....

I also found it hilarious one very cold sunny winter's morning when overnight rain frooze leaving all the roads of Gloucestershire an Ice Rink. Worst driving conditions I can remember and I did drive during the 62-63 winter ..... However, I digress. Following my usual route to work that exceptional morning, I witnessed several so called "superior driving experience" Bavarian products unsuccessfully scrabbling for adhesion or completely out of control, going straight on at T-junctions etc irrespective of which way their brakes worked or front wheels were pointing. Thanks to Front Wheel Drive, managed to avoid one such superior "pirouetting" car owner. No doubt a number of expensive Insurance claims were submitted as a result. My FWD old MG Montego sure-foottedly got me to work safely that morning only a few minutes later than usual unlike some folks I could mention, including work colleagues. A lengthy thread ensued on the firm's intranet as a result of colleagues experiences that day.... a number of bent Beemers apparently. Particularly HILARIOUS for me that day was the owner of a newish 5 series. In all sorts of trouble on the ice rink camber, he slowly drifted down that camber and gently tipped over into the ditch at the side of the lane. He wasn't hurt and normally I'd give assistance, after all I was safely stopped by that time. That was until I saw in my rear view "chummy in his 3 series" sideways out of control approaching me a bit too fast under the circumstances. BTW Beemers ARE that common round my way of late. As I pulled away from said beemer types, I clearly saw the expression on the 5 series driver's face .... Appeared to say "This should not be happening .... it's a BMW for crissakes" ...... Have to admit though, those were exceptional conditions but, a real eye-opener and certainly not a nice introduction to severe road conditions for some less experienced that morning.

And bloke ....No.... I'm not having a laugh or joking, there are good reasons why some of us prefer FRONT WHEEL DRIVE for our daily drivers .... One day, you may just have reason to discover why yourself but, I'm not having a larf at your expense and don't wish that one anyone no matter how ignorant, inexperienced or justy plain biggotted...... no names, no pack drill........

However, have to agree; RWD "**** Out" on the wide open spaces at the track or Airfield is a different matter.... but when conditions really conspire against you as they can and did on that beautiful but very cold Gloucestershire day, you may just have reason to modify your reasoning .... For your sake I hope you do.....

Finally, my MGZS I recently got for my wife is just about the finest handling "ordinary" car I've experienced in over forty years of motoring .... If you've not tried one yet .... do so. You may just learn something ....

... and No NACRO, again you're well off the mark there (so at least still running to form apparently ... )! I have no connection with MG-R other than as a regular customer. However, I do wish BMW had not poked their noses in back in the mid-90s. Said at the time it would all end in tears not to mention the treatment Honda received as a result ..... As they say over there "C'est la vie" .... shall I tell you of the experiences my Nephew has had with his new Renault .... no better not ....

MGJohn.

[Edited by MGJohn - 9/4/2003 6:52:22 PM]
Old 09 June 2003, 12:03 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Jawa - Had the 600 still been on sale, it'd been up against the E46, regardless when they were both introduced. Hence why it was killed off, because it just couldn't compete with the E46. BMW killed it off because it was, er, out dated. Out dated cars get killed off?? They were not scared it'd steal sales from their range.
Agreed, but it would now be a different car to the then 600 And yep, BMW killed it off. I guess they didn't want 2 cars same aiming in the same market segment within their group, regardless of target audience and thus didn't want to spend money on a new version.

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 9/6/2003 12:04:22 AM]
Old 09 July 2003, 07:04 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "You're letting your standards slip"

Just giving as good as I get.

quote: "your obsession with things ****"

So far you are the only one to use that word-I propose that it is you who is "****" a fact ably demonstrated by your user name and obsession with a failed car manufacturer.

quote: "and in the final analysis, reaching a wider audience must be high on MG-R's priorities list now"

Getting back on topic it's a shame about the streetwise then. It will be fun to see what you have to say when the sales figures for them start to become available.

edited to add: the "losers" comment wasn't an insult merely a statement of fact.

[Edited by NACRO - 9/7/2003 7:11:04 AM]
Old 09 July 2003, 10:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

So the AX GT wasn't a fair comparison or did you choose to igonre that one? The cars were direct competitors in the market place.

I also take the point about the Maestro- if you'd read earlier in the thread you'd have seen I have respect for their abilities, particularly the tickford turbo.

Personally I thought the "MG" metro was awful and I drove a few including the Turbo which was simply appalling.

edited to add the MG metro was alive and kicking(or as alive and kicking as it ever got)in 85 wasn't it?

[Edited by NACRO - 9/7/2003 10:19:58 PM]
Old 09 August 2003, 10:35 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

....and there's a bonus ...the sales receptionist at that particular dealership has a set of the most impressive thorax growths this side of Jordan ...

More seriously skittles, when you wrote :

>>Fine, but it cheapens the brand. <<

There is always another viewpoint. No two folks have the same set of values or standards. What is cheap to you can be attention grabbing and even attractive or effective to others. It some ways it could enhance the brand by bringing it to the attention of a wider audience.

When the then Cassius Clay (later M.Ali) bad-mouthed his boxing opponents in his oh so big-headed way early in his careeer, many sporting writers chastised him saying things like he was lowering the tone of the sport and accused him of much worse. In fact he did just the opposite with that apparently "lowering the tone" behaviour. He alone elevated boxing to a level never before seen in the history of the sport.

As the song and big cat car a.d says ....History repeating itself?? ... we'll see....

[Edited by MGJohn - 9/8/2003 10:47:21 PM]
Old 29 August 2003, 11:15 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saw a Rover Streetwise today at the local dealers. Have to say I haven't laughed so much since the BRM

So cheers rover, i needed cheering up

So, how many ppl here have got their cheque books out for one of these fine vehicles?
Old 29 August 2003, 11:32 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I saw one last week at work's car show. Have to agree with you! Very amusing car.

The dealer knows me quite well (after the Rover 220 engine rebuild, the Perodua Kelisa and my MGTF test drive ) so I had to torment him about it...

He says Rover are trying to appeal to younger drivers - where their father drives a new MG... He's not convinced they'll sell any.

BTW, can you get it colour coded as an option?
Old 29 August 2003, 11:39 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

Just to whet you appetites

Oh, and don't know why, but i searched and found this:

PMSL God, Tatas are cosidered crap in India
Old 30 August 2003, 12:08 AM
beefola
Scooby Regular

I saw one on the road yesterday, nearly crashed my car due to the tears of laughter rolling down my face....
And i drive a Rover....
Beef
P.S. It was free, okay?
Old 30 August 2003, 12:21 AM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Saw one behind me in traffic today but couldn figure out WTF it was!
Old 30 August 2003, 12:33 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Cool

<Flame suit on>

Could be worse... could drive a shrunken MPV CTR, with a feckin' gear **** out the dashboard, ha ha ha ha ha!!!

<Flame suit off, sitting in the middle of the road, in a fold away sun chair, consuming cheese and fine wine...>
Old 30 August 2003, 03:20 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got an invite to drive one the other day (sales follow up on my New MGZS). So along I go and drove the Streetwise. Not my cup of tea but better than expected. I could live with it day to day if I had too. Nippy, not bad handling and those looks will appeal to some buyers ..... maybe young girlie or chap about town types.

Still what do I know. Drove a beetle 40 years ago. Hated it and those very few I've driven since. Many drivers still love 'em though . Can't stand any of the "Monster Truck" dimension 4 be 4s which now thicken the jams on our roads. Lots of drivers do though so I must be the one missing summat .. Puzzling to know that more beetles were sold than any other car I believe and 4x4 clones sales now reaching infestation levels on our already overcrowded roads. Didn't take to the Mini (the REAL one) either when it first appeared back in 1959. No way could I drive such a car .... and the FRONT wheels are the driven ones for crissakes ... ... never catch on. Still what do I know. Since owned and bought several both new and 2nd hand. The original Mini. Truly Great driving experience.

Reserve judgement on the Streewise. MG-R need to generate a much wider range of customers and buyers into their showrooms, particularly those younger types of car buyers who would not consider ever buying a Rover 25/45/75 but have bought the sportier MG Zed versions..... The Streetwise may attract other younger buyers and broaden MG-Rs customer base and generate much needed cash. MG-R are right to explore every possibility to attract new and younger clients. The Streetwise may help do this.

P.S. I had a BIG laugh the first time I saw that BIG rear wing when I first saw a Subaru. Well over the top init ... Now such wings are on a lot of cars ..... even those that don't really need one ... and I didn't specify one on my ZS ..... just the smaller discreet one.....

Funny old game people and their cars.
Old 30 August 2003, 01:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does everyone always call a small ****e car "Nippy" Does it mean it goes when you press the pedal more than you were expecting, because people often say it about Metros, Corsas and Novas. Never understood it, no offence MGJohn
Old 30 August 2003, 01:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs down

The Streetwise (which this bag of bollocks isn't BTW) is not going to attract the younger demographic that Rover so desperatly want+ need. They think it's a joke as do I. Load of cynical marketing crap and a total waste of their development money, which looking at it I presume was not a lot.
Old 30 August 2003, 02:00 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

I actually quite like it.

Anybody else think it looks like a Range Rover that's been shrunk in the wash
Old 30 August 2003, 03:00 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

those looks will appeal to some buyers
Stevie Wonder?
Old 31 August 2003, 08:20 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

How Kin sad is that
Old 31 August 2003, 11:28 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hmmmmm ...... plenty of mindset stuff about on this thread.

SO !! YOU DON'T LIKE IT SCOOBYNET ENTHUSIASTS.... how surprising .... what a turn-up for the books! More negativity perhaps. One or two examples on scoobynet of those actually wanting to see the British manufacturer fail recently. For chrissakes why? To all of them, I wish that brown envelope on their desks one day!! Just then they may be a little wiser but, dont hold your breath. Maybe we have allowed too many aliens into this now unbalanced little group of Islands like some say after all ... their hearts are not in the right place .... stands to reason.... don't it? Modern Brits ... not even also rans ... having failed to qualify .... There was a time when true brits supported the underdogs. Not now apparently.

Just maybe they're of the same mindset of a woman I once observed in my local then ARG showroom. She announced in a very loud and priviledged background voice that she hoped they would close Cowley and make all those "lazy" workers there redundant. She probably has never done a day's work in her life .... nasty cow! She was asked politely to leave. Stands to her reasoning ... workers never take industrial action in Germany, France or Japan ... do they .... clueless type... probably drives a BMW with Swastikas taped down the sides ...

I've spoken to several colleagues and friends who have differing views about the Streetwise. RESERVE JUDGEMENT .... you don't know it all and we all may just learn something.

John Banks ... no offence taken. But, I did not expect that spec of vehicle to be .... well "Nippy" ... wrong mindset I suppose ....

Now where's my bestest flame suit ... ahh .. there it is .... made in Germany .... DOH! ....
Old 31 August 2003, 11:29 AM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

P.S. .... and I did laugh the first time I saw a Subaru with that huge wing on the back .... well over the top mate ...

Got used to it now .... always happens.
Old 31 August 2003, 08:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Even being fairly Rover freindly I can see why the average cynical Scoobynetter wont like it, however they are going to sell ****loads of them, remember Scoobynet and its ilk are representative of the most discerning, image concious and technically aware car buyers in the country so a jacked up Rover 25 with plastic bits on wont fool anybody on here but a fair proportion of the population just see chunky looking 4*4 that looks a bit like a Rover 25 and may actually go and buy one, remember people buy and bought

The Scorpio
Suzuki X90
Any Daewoo
Fiat Multipla
The facelifted Hyundia Coupe (why did they do that yo the poor thing)

And of course the Bugeye Impreza, spout all you want about horsepower, 4wd traction, turbos and rally pedigree, most non car people wrinkle their noses in disgust and wonder why anybody would want something that ugly with stupid bulges and naff spoilers, to be honest a lot of people think all Imprezas are ugly (Not me I hasten to add) and a Rover 'Streetwise'
is much more appealing, I mean bloody hell, how many MG ZR's etc do you see nowadays, I saw three car transporters hauling full loads of them (including the Streetwise) into Manchester the other day so they must be doing something right.

Old 31 August 2003, 09:08 PM
NACRO
BANNED

In my case it's not so much a lack of patriotism, just that this car is a cynical, crap looking and tawdry vehicle.

Perhaps the same type of people that bought the X-90 will go and buy it, in similar numbers.

Its worse sin is that its an exercise in style over substance- the problem being that the styling has failed and that's all it has to offer.

It will be interesting to see what history makes of it.
Old 31 August 2003, 09:09 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I imagine that MG John thinks the BRM was a success-PMSL.

Old 31 August 2003, 09:34 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

These cars look 'retarded' if you know what i mean
Old 31 August 2003, 10:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Considering they are so crap, there are an awful lot of them about.

My uncle has a BRM, whilst the orange snout is reprehensible the rest of the car isnt too bad, and it was cheap.
Old 31 August 2003, 10:13 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Actually the BRM just looked like a joke- a real pity as they are meant to be pretty good. I was only ever passengered in one and it seemed nice and quick. Shame they looked so bloody awful
Old 31 August 2003, 10:44 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good grief NACRO..... you sure have some crap opinions ..... and you taketh a fine name like BRM in wossname .... but, praise be ... that's all they are .... merely YOUR opinions. Sad to observe, you are not alone and apparently a few other brits hereon no doubt are of a like mind.

I'm old enough to remember when BRM were very competitive on the tracks. Saw their successes many times long before anyone ever heard of "beautiful stars" Johnnie come lately types. I remember too that Mitsubishi made Jap Zero war planes for the Kamakhazi (Carzee ?sp) pilots. Oh yes and Nissan made huts or something ... Mazdas made bulbs ( bought some back then .... took a dim view of that ...) and so on. I also saw the Rover Gas Turbine LeMans car in action. Maybe you were not able to witness these fine British Automotive efforts owing to the fact that you were merely an immature, unfertilised ovum in your mother's ovaries at that time so missed out .... you really did...your loss... bad luck.....

Now tell me you're quite aged (like what I am...lol) and saw all those things too........ DOH! ... Bet money you're not though ..... Whatever happened to the wiser youngsters of today? Replaced by 20-30 something know it alls driving alien wheels and yet to experience a brown envelope day.

P.S. Ever had a brown envelope on your desk one morning or do you have that experience to come? ....

Quick Reply: Thanks to rover