Impressed by Audi

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2003, 06:25 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Evening all,

Well, as some people know I currently have 3 cars. A TT 180 coupe, a 93 WRX and a mad Westie! The company car (TT) change over is coming round in a while and I wanted to see what the new 3.2 V6 TT was like. Now for all of you laughing at the TT, please don't I love mine. Comfortable, smooth, quick ish and I love the design. So there! It does it's job perfectly.

So, I went down to Hull Audi and booked a test drive for the afternoon. The sales chap was very pleasant and knew his stuff (for once). We got talking about the RS6 and he mentioned they had a demonstrator Well, I thought.... I was totally honest, said it was way out of my price range ..... BUT, would I be able to have a drive? "No problem". Excellent!

So, 30 mins later I got out of this black, pimp tinted monster... thoughts? Well, it was BIG, really big and my God, it was quick. Smoothly ferocious! The engine bellowed when you put the pedal down. In a queue of traffic it was great fun just blipping the throttle and hearing the herd of elephants behind you! The car rocked as well, the engine was a monster! This was amply demoed when joining a dual carriageway from a slip road at well over ahem... well you get the picture. Build quality was fantastic and it had every toy imaginable. Beautiful interior trim and very comfy seats. From the outside it looked ever so menacing. The wheels were huge 19" silver 5 spokes (I think!) and the two exhausts looked perfect.

In summary, a wonderful car but too big for me. Will certainly make sense for some people, including the local man who has just bought two...... and sold his 360 Modena!

The TT was also excellent. Firstly the transmission, the new double clutch shabang system. Fully auto or use the levers on the wheel. (This is only fitted to the TT so far, thus the system on the morning's RS6 was not as good). It was so smooth on the TT. You could not honestly tell you were changing gear, blipping automatically on the down shift and very easy to get used to. The interior is the same as my current car and still superb, but the best bit, and I know this is a shock..... was the exhaust noise! The V6 sounds fantastic!! Bassy at low revs and a real howl at high revs. Driving it, the car felt significantly quicker than my 180 and ever so smooth.

In summary, great exhaust note, comfortable and quick. On the short list for the next company car.

All the best,

Mossman
Old 25 August 2003, 06:58 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Que loads of posts saying how a 'scoob' would "kill it in the twisties"!
Old 25 August 2003, 07:01 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice write up mate.

I would like to gave a go in a DSG car - I have heard it is the best sequential box on the market. I have a M3 SMGII, and am a big fan of these sequential boxes.

Old 25 August 2003, 07:05 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Skittles

I drove the same car as yours on the way home from TOTB2. Loved it!!! I "think" the TT system is ever so slightly smoother than the SMG, but it is a different system when you look in detail at the mechanicals. I loved the SMG though and ever so quick! A lovely car!

Mossman
Old 25 August 2003, 07:18 PM
slasha
Scooby Regular

BP, aren't the kill it in the twisties comments for cars that are actually faster than a scoob. I don't think any scoob owner would see a TT as serious competition other than in the hairdressers stakes.
Old 25 August 2003, 07:27 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

How much are the TT V6
Old 25 August 2003, 07:46 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

£28500 approximately, but more like £30K with Bose Stereo and a couple of other options.

Regards,

Mossman

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2003, 08:47 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

slasha. I was refering to the RS6.
Old 26 August 2003, 01:18 PM
mkyboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Again a great write up!

I have been thinking of trying the new V6 TT and you have made my mind up! I'll be booking a test drive soon!!!