Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What is the funniest or worse car that has over-taken you??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 05:12 PM
blair
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good few years ago now I was driving back down from Inverness after a weekend away.

There is a big long hill up the A9 just where I pulled on and I was thrashing the nuts off my old 1.1 Fiesta to push it Southbound as fast as I could.

I thought I was doing really well until a full laden hearse cruised past me as though I was going backwards.

ooops - sorry for the spalling

[Edited by blair - 9/1/2003 5:12:56 PM]
Old 25 August 2003, 03:06 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Cool

mine's got the be a recent Toyota Echo with 16" alloys fitted. the poor fokker, I could see and hear he was really giving it some...the thing is I wasn't even racing and never at anytime over 4000rpm but more importantly I didn't want to scoop it into my inter-cooler, so I let him go... bless his heart!
Old 25 August 2003, 03:08 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Havnt experienced this yet, altho had a Golf GT TDi 150 overtake 3 of us in a row last weekend!!!
Old 25 August 2003, 03:08 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just recently on the M602 heading into Manchester

2 guys in a Smart car, leathered it past me and the pair of them thought it was so funny beating a scoob

Old 25 August 2003, 03:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Those Smart Cars are faster than you might expect!

Hope I never own one.

Les
Old 25 August 2003, 03:22 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had a Nova 1.2 toast past me the other day complete with Turbo badge
Old 25 August 2003, 03:35 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

audi 200 turbo thats not funny in itself

but it was an old guy looked about 80 with flat cap on!

and i was not hanging about either
Old 25 August 2003, 03:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

A Farmer's tractor at 40mph on dual Carriage way! I deffo made his day! I was slowing down to turn left.The grin on his face was of a winner! Proper Impreza beater!
Old 25 August 2003, 04:02 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Wa at a set of T.lights when a guy in his 50's pulls along side me in a Reliant robin. Shouts across to me "arent they really fast those things mate" to which I give a modest reply.
Anyways 25 mins later I arrive at our destination and who do I pull up alongside at another set of lights. Yep the guy in the Robin who then says to me "not that fast then mate".

Dont know how he got there before me but he did.

Chip.
Old 25 August 2003, 05:19 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was once doing 60 in a 40 zone (it had just changed) in my old MR2 Turbo when a Reliant Robin, A reg, I think, came thundering past.

The old fukcer must have been doing 80 odd.
Old 25 August 2003, 06:06 PM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

get loads of old beat up novas and astras was in yarmouth a few months back when i saw this hidiously modified astra and noticed the stickers on the doors

you guessed it

blitz
hks
g reddy
apexi
Old 25 August 2003, 06:08 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

Havnt experienced this yet, altho had a Golf GT TDi 150 overtake 3 of us in a row last weekend!!!
don't underestimate these mate - a chipped one will be producing close to 200bhp and over 250lb of torque - meet these in the wrong gear and things won't be so funny!

as for the funniest thing, we it has to be a white nova with an impreza bonnet scoop - i wish i had one of those camera phones, because i see him all the time! met him at the lights, but lane went into one so i let him go - he obviously though i was trying because i revved back at him and stayed just behind him on purpose!
Old 25 August 2003, 06:42 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah theyre good cars, just thought id mention it overtook 3 in a row!!!
Old 25 August 2003, 07:58 PM
SkodaMan
Scooby Regular

don't underestimate these mate - a chipped one will be producing close to 200bhp and over 250lb of torque - meet these in the wrong gear and things won't be so funny!
Had a Golf TDI overtake me coming onto a motorway a few weeks back. The guy was really tanking it on the sliproad. Took me a while to catch up! They're good in the mid range, but tend to run out of puff above a certain speed.

The best bit about owning an Octavia vRS is I often find myself on the opposite side of this thread, i.e.: the person in the supposedly "funniest or worst" car. Top fun wiping the smug grins off faces with my cheap-as-chips Skoda
Old 25 August 2003, 07:58 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Inter-city IC-125 Power car alongside motorway .... left all cars for dead!!! Impressive .... they can cruise at 125 but don't know their top whack. I reckon he was speeding ... Lovely sound ..... Not bad considering about 400 passengers on board ...
Old 25 August 2003, 09:48 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I let a wee lassie(driving) in a Saxo past me, the boyfriend was obviously spurring her on.....after many miles on the m/way I gave up and slowed down to 50 to allow them to pass. The little bitch then cut my nose off LOL!!

wee lassies, got to love their total lack of judgement (boyfriend and car).
Old 25 August 2003, 09:52 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

A 'scoob'!!
Old 25 August 2003, 11:52 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

MG John,

...and it's a diesel (rolls royce marine)...I think.....

Vindaloo.
Old 26 August 2003, 07:05 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It didn't overtake me, but I was tanking down a local A-road, in front of me was a Lamborghini Diablo and in front of that a Smart car. We were flying, all 3 of us, straights, twisties, you name it. I very nearly genuinely wet myself with laughter at the thought of how it must have looked to other people, a Lambo and a Scooby being led by a Smart
Old 26 August 2003, 07:55 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Talking

2CV here in France- driven by someone who so desperately wanted to "beat" my Impreza he set off while the lights were still on red. Needless to say I overtook him anyway (still well within the legal speed limit)- he did this 3 times and on the third time shouted a bunch of insults in French and revved the thing in gear with the handbrake on so it rocked back and forth. He was very, very angry for some reason.
I considered getting out of the car and holding an *** kicking contest rather than a traffic light GP but accelerating (v slowly) past him in 5th gear seemed to annoy him the most.

BTW he had a "turbo" badge on the back of his car!
Old 28 August 2003, 12:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I know this is not strictly an overtaking thing, but yesterday I was approaching some two-lane lights that had just changed and pulled into the right-hand lane so I could maintain my speed. A builder's wagon pulled into the lane in front of me; he cut me up slightly, but fair enough, he could have been turning right later. But he wasn't - he proceeded to straddle the two lanes so I couldn't get by. It's not like he had to teach me a lesson, I was just maintaining the flow of traffic, not trying to leave everyone for dead. Just cos I was in a scoob he thought he'd have a go.
Old 28 August 2003, 01:20 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Smile

Vindaloo....

IC-125s Powerplants are Paxman Valentas I believe.... front and rear. With Marine origins .... Max revs a heady 2,500 rpm IIRC but what a sound when those babies are fully wound up. No wonder you can hear those IC-125 railroad airhorns miles off .... they need to be ... takes a mile or so to slow from those speeds ....

Now around 25 years old, despite what our negativity infested media would have you believe about our railways, these IC-125s have been very successful and well liked trains. Many updated and still going strong .... lovely noises.

If we ever get that Victorian track infrastructure updated to modern track standards found elsewhere (too many nimbies I fear for that - just look at what the good folks of Kent have had to say about the high-speed x-channel link - but they still want more noisy motorways screaming past YOUR back yard when they go to work up the smoke ...DOH..)(I enjoy the occasional digress - does you good! ... ) then there'd be a good chance that those huge freight movements stuck in front of your and my car on and breaking up our motorways will be attracted back where they should be ... NOT everything is needed by yesterday and I STRONGLY object to those motorways I've paid for over the years being used for mobile wharehouse storage purposes.

Wouldn't it be nice though ... dream on ... Sadly, quick profits come first and the nimbies always win in the good ol' industrial spine extracted, alien owned UK .... Whatever next ... how about huge increases in the cost of water supply .... aint privatisation great .... ... Think it wont happen? Don't hold your breath...
Old 28 August 2003, 01:58 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Old 28 August 2003, 02:17 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

2 guys ( reps ) in a Ford Galaxy, on the way down to Japfest....came past me with his **** out of the window......nearly pissed myself laughing......., if i had a Maccys Milkshake straw i could have.......well you get the picture...he was VERY VERY close to the car.......

theres me trying to save fuel.......lol

funny drive down..great day

all the best

jay
Old 28 August 2003, 08:50 PM
CupraRMark
Scooby Newbie

Kia Pride. I was feeling generous and, to be honest, how sad does it look to race a Kia??
Old 29 August 2003, 09:13 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Reliant Robin 4 wheeler (Kitten???)

Did have a Tuned RS Turbo lump in though, absolutely hammered me in my old Rover as well as passing another 6 cars in one go, unreal!!!
Old 29 August 2003, 10:36 AM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

I love it when i go out in my m8s 3 wheeled R1 powered bond bug. Peoples faces just drop. Especially some posing git in his M3 evo with hood down when we flew by him at 120

Some of the best ones are the bikers they aing got a clue what it is till your over taking them lol.
Old 29 August 2003, 11:18 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maybe not the funniest thing but when the rear end of my own car overtook me I did have a quiet chuckle to myself
Old 29 August 2003, 02:12 PM
mel
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm a wee lassie and i was overtaken by another wee lassie in a 106 Zest (I have a 106GTi).

She followed me through a 30mph zone, i was doing 30 she was glued to my bumper, then on a straight it turned to 40 so she whizzed past me!

I reeled her back in, in NSL and then flew past her on a section of dual carriage way <slaps self on wrist for letting myself get baited! >
Old 29 August 2003, 03:38 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

j_p_h-is that Bond bug orangey red?I've seen one run a low 13 sec at York dragway before.

Quick Reply: What is the funniest or worse car that has over-taken you??