Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M3 with SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2003, 11:51 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a test drive lined up for a current shape M3 with SMG next week. I was looking for an M coop but then this came up

Questions.....

1. Is it good/bad or just different to the manual? Anyone driven both? Do you get used to it?

2. Can anyone value this car, can't find anything on any of the online Glass's guide links I have, and Parkers is a joke.

It's a 51 plate, carbon black 54,000 miles, SMG, roof, 19''s and HK stereo.
They're asking £31k on Autotrader or £29985 on their local site - This is from a BM dealer.

I don't do a lot of miles so the high mileage will even out.

Worth it?

Old 25 August 2003, 08:51 AM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

Buy the SMG, you won't regret it.
I've not driven a manual but have been told they have a heavy clutch pedal. SMG's fetch better money. After John Watson road-tested one he said he couldn't understand why anyone would want a manual. SMG gives you the best of both worlds, you can run it 'auto' or 'drive logic' mode with a choice of soft or more sporty change points for both. Basically it allows you to focus more on your driving without having to concentrate on changing down as you approach corners/roundabouts etc. You can also change up without lifting off. If your like me and you can't toe and heel to well it gives you a perfect blip on the downshift.
To me the price sounds very good plus you should be able to knock another £1/1.5K off with good negotiation. The used market seems to be awash with CB cars right now. Try doing a search on the BMW used car site.
I've just bought a car 51/late 01, PY 12K SMG11 fully loaded and got it for £35.5K down from £38K
Go for it before someone else snaps it up, you won't regret it, there fantastic car's to drive.
Old 25 August 2003, 10:16 AM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, that's exactly what I wanted to hear
It's in the workshop getting new discs, so will get a drive as soon as it's out.
Old 25 August 2003, 12:24 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

This is a debate that will run and run. www.bm3w.co.uk has countless threads on it.

Theres 2 camps.

1) That its great and should be standard
2) That it makes it too easy! That a good driver will be as good as the electronics (fast upshift aside) And that it take some of the enjoyment of a well timed/executed heel and toe.

Never driven either so cant comment really, but I think Id prefer the regular manual. The CSL only comes with SMG though.
Old 25 August 2003, 09:42 PM
CHALKIE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

That is a good price for an SMG 11 car. I have got one and to be honest it is the best thing about the car. It does everything a manual can do only better and faster.
Old 26 August 2003, 11:58 AM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How long will you have the car for?

SMG will seem very strange at first, you will need at least two days to become accustomed to it at which point you'll think its the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

Old 26 August 2003, 01:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Can you run it in fully manual mode where-by you can redline it in whatever gear and having it bouncing off the limiter begging for a gearchange but it WONT do it until you make the switch? Not that you'd ever want to do that

Trending Topics

Old 26 August 2003, 01:59 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Yes you can... it will bounce off the limiter.

Only time it takes over when in manual mode is when you are about to stall, it downshifts.

Unlike a regular auto box, even in auto mode you have control over when it changes - if you lift off then plant it again, you tell it to change gear.
Old 26 August 2003, 09:32 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

M3evo dunno how long I'll get it for on test, but willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Sounds like the SMG is worth having.
Plus I've found out it's not far off trade price, but appears to be the highest mileage on for sale that I can see.
My only worries now are when the cambelt service is due, but I suppose I can negotiate for that.
Haven't heard back from them yet so assume it's still in the shop.
I will report back with my findings
p.s. Friend of a friend mentioned he was selling his one, 01 Y reg manual, imola red (hmmm) 33k miles, satnav, 19's for £29,500.
So they are definately getting under 30k.
Old 27 August 2003, 09:04 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Surely the trade price is what a trader would pay you, not sell for?

Check/do a couple of things:

-If it is a UK car - if sourced from the continent then there will be no warranty left, and it explains the cheap price.

-Check if it qualified for the con rod bearing recall, andif it has been done. BMW changed supplier for the con rod bearings for a while (to get enough units I think), and the new supplier provided faulty bearings. All M3s built during a particular time period had to have the con rod bearings replaced.

-Early SATNAVs had the small TV screen. This changed in '02?

-Try and get the software updated for the SMG box - the latest version is a lot smoother. Your local dealer will do this for you at a service etc.

PS you do need a couple of days to really get to grips with SMG, but when you have its fantastic!
Old 27 August 2003, 08:26 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

I think the cars effected are between dec 01 and March 02.
The recall involves fitting new big end bearings and a new oil pump. The recall doesn't appear in the service history book but will be loged against the car's history with BMW UK.
Also is the car so cheap because it doesn't have a FSH? It will be virtually impossible to sell again without one.
Old 27 August 2003, 09:36 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Yeah FSH - it's all academic now it's not on the website any more, thought I'd give em till the end of today to call back (didn't want to appear too keen). Gonna phone the ******* tomorrow to say they've lost my future business, possibly
Kinda talked myself into this SMG nonsense now too!
Old 28 August 2003, 12:16 PM
jonathanf
Scooby Newbie

email me on jonathan@obsideo.net as I have an SMG for sale at not much more money and loads better spec.
Old 28 August 2003, 01:36 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

******* sold it to a dealer from down south over the phone... grrr. So when you see a 54,000 miler in autotrader next week, you will know they paid £29985 for it

Jonathan YHM.