Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jaguar X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 04:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, just wondering what these are like to own and drive...

The two models we would be looking at are the 2.5V6 Sport or the 2.0Diesel Sport...

With the TDi being the same engine as the Mondeo, would it be possible to use the Bluefin upgrade?? Would the connections fit the X-Type??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 August 2003, 05:08 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

I can only answer part of your question. A good mate of mine has a 3.0 Sport (Traded in his Terzo for it). It`s generally a good car and some days he misses his old Impreza, some days he doesn`t.

I doesn`t cost that much less to run than the Impreza, it`s almost as thirsty but is easier on tyres (Perhaps he drives it a bit softer?). Quality is a little better than the Subaru but it`s not in the same quality league as my S3 (His words) or my Fathers E-Class (My opinion).

The ride is good considering the sport set-up and it goes well too.

Personally, I`d go for a used 330d if it`s diesel you`re after. A 2.5 Sport might be a good bet though.
Old 18 August 2003, 05:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Yeah, its got to be a brand new car that we go for next for a couple of reasons.

The 2.5 seems to quite as thirsty as the 3.0 but still nippy... The only reason we are considering the diesel, is the fact that the engine used is very highly refined and from a re-sale point of view maybe a more economical X-Type will be more appealing to people.

Our current car is a Audi A4 SE, 1.8 20v, so I suppose either of the above will feel better to drive than that. I support what you are saying about the build-quality of the Audi, its really is very good.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 August 2003, 05:44 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Grant,

I hate to say it, but have you considered a 320d?

They are very good, regardless of image etc.
Old 18 August 2003, 06:28 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Oh, a 320d?! Thats a BMW isnt it!!

We have had a look at them and had a drive as well and they are nice cars, and are on our list, however, its a BMW and that comes with the Image of being a BMW driver!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 August 2003, 07:53 PM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The 2.0 TD is very similar in performance to the 2.5 petrol. I have had both as company cars and given the choice now would take the TD. Although it doesn't have the AWD of the 2.5, the traction control is excellent and makes it a very competent FWD. It is also the quietest diesel I have driven. So, save some $$$ in fuel costs and go for the oil burner!
Old 19 August 2003, 03:11 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

RS Grant.............. 320d .............320d ...............320d....................

Trending Topics

Old 19 August 2003, 03:18 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Simon......... Cant believe I am hearing someone on Scoobynet recommending a BMW!!

Thanks for the wee run-down of the 2 cars Tommy, its the diesel one that we are more considering because of the fuel savings. Also, going to try and get a test drive organised in the next couple of days so see what happens there!

Does anyone know if the Bluefin re-map will be possible because that would make it a wee bit faster whilst retaining Warranty and Economy...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 19 August 2003, 09:14 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

OK, I personally would not like to own a 3 Series, having said that, I have'nt had a Scoob for 7 months and Ive only missed it once. (Which kind of supports my reason for selling it!)

But, buy the BMW.

X Types are absolutely appaling cars. I had one as a courtesy car for a week recently and it was only when I threatened to reprt the Land ROver dealer to the factory for fannying around with my new Range Rover, did they give me something better to drive.

The interior is so crap, at least with a Scoob you expected ( and got ) crap interior, the X type was woeful to be in and drive.

Honestly, I'd strongly consider a 3 series, or anything else for that matter.
Old 19 August 2003, 06:49 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

X type is still mondeo!

My old mans got 325 sport.. i'd reccomend it, you can't argue that there not a good car. but if you don't like the image can't help you.
Old 20 August 2003, 03:03 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Ok, I know my cars and I don't drive crap. My garage currently consists of...

1) MY96 Impreza Turbo Wagon - for the wife.
2) MR2 Turbo to race spec, weekends and trackdays only and around 300bhp with plans for more. RWD mid engine and a turbo...
3) X-Type 3.0V6 SE for going to and from work - cos it's comfy.

Now, first things first - there is very little in common between a Mondeo and an X-Type, they are miles apart. I won't go into detail because it's boring, but anyone who says a Mondeo is an X-Type doesn't know what they're talking about.

With that out the way, would I recommend having one ? Yes.

1) The warranty is recognized as the best of the manufacturers - it really is a no quible, unlimited 3yr warranty.
2) Exclusivity. Sure, have a 3 series - they are good cars, but they really are common, even a 3 series driver would HAVE to admit this.
3) The 'X' factor. There's something special about a Jag.
4) 4WD. 2.5 and 3.0 X-Types are 4WD, which 3 series are 4WD ?
5) I have an 8" widescreen telly on mine with TOUCHSCREEN SatNav - and quite frankly it rocks. I've tried a number of SatNavs, and this is by far the best.
6) My 3.0V6 has 231bhp, the same as a 530i\330i so performance is more than adequate. I have the auto and it hits 60 in 7.1.
7) It gets attention. I'm quite often asked about the car, and then told how nice it is.
8) I've recently had a 30,000 mile service - cost £230 inc. vat. Doesn't seem bad to me.

The diesel burner is apparently a cracker, with excellent MPG and good performance (don't know the figures off the top of me head because it's a petrolhead !!!)

I plan to keep my Jag, extend the warranty to the maximum 6years and then run it into the ground.

Best thing you can do is drive both, see which YOU prefer and go for that.

I personally look out the window and admire the curves and chrome of my Jag, and I'll keep it for a long while yet.

All the best with your decision.

Matt
Old 20 August 2003, 03:34 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

The 3-series is a better car no matter which engine you go for, just read ANY magazine where these two are tested against one-another.
Old 20 August 2003, 03:46 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Like I said, test drive the two and see what YOU prefer.

I'm not going to be drawn into an X-Type vs. 3 Series arguement, but I drove both and wouldn't consider the 3 series at all. To me they are built with a different objective and so incomparable.

The last review I read said that ultimately the X-Type is less 'engaging' than the 3, but they are both good cars. Yes objectively the 3 is generally reviewed as 'better', but it depends on YOUR post-test drive review, not the media's.

Whenever I read Evo vs. Scooby articles, I usually get the impression that the Evo is better if you want a performance car, but the Scooby is better all round. Depends what you want out of a car.

If I want 'engaging', I drive my MR2. If I want to drive to work without fuss and in comfort, I take the Jag.

All the best

Matt