Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf GTI's ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 03:45 PM
golfliam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And isn't a new wrx slower than the old one

checkout this months evo - you'd be a bit suprised what it can do with an experianced driver

Saw a letter in Banzai the other week (i like lots of different cars) the writer seemed a bit miffed that a golf anniversary had recorded 0-60 in 6.6 seconds because in the mags it was supposed to take 7.9 and he didn't believe the figure because the type R and the focus both recorded the times they were supposed to on paper....

It wasn't a mistake according to the vbox timing equipment - so don't believe all the figs u read for cars...

[Edited by golfliam - 8/7/2003 10:15:46 PM]
Old 07 August 2003, 08:41 AM
Broon
Scooby Newbie

What is it with idiots who drive Golf GTI's that think they have a chance in hell of beating a scooby.

Maybe they think cause its a wagon that it aint as fast as a saloon scooby.

Well thats the 5th one i have blown clean off in the last 2 weeks

Keep them coming....................
Old 07 August 2003, 08:50 AM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

R32 would beat a Scoob though

I test drove a VR6 once, then test drove an Impreza Sport straight after and the Sport was quicker!!!
Old 07 August 2003, 10:02 AM
dilbert02
Scooby Newbie

Not wanting to upset people, but I've got a mk2 Golf gti, that's had a VR6 transplant. Car looks standard, 15" wheels only exhaust gives the game away. But the car is light, no air con, abs, electric windows etc and has 200bhp on tap. I drive everyday in a MY01 WRX, also copmpletely standard, and I'm sorry to say but with a traffic light grand prix the scooby would come off second...

So remember when you're blowing away golf gti's you might come across one that will make life very dangerous.

A rule of thumb for me is;Not worth playing with any car not in th esame division, and anything in the same division is just too bloody dangerous to play with. Keep it on the track.
Old 07 August 2003, 10:13 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Quote: "R32 would beat a Scoob though"

Well sorry to burst your bubble but I had a good go with one of these over my local roads (fast B roads with some very tight bends and long dual carriageway sections) and I comprehensively beat it, the owner looked p1ssed off to say the least in my rear view mirror. Top speed I imagine it would have had me.

Old 07 August 2003, 10:14 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I have a milk float with a jet engine in and im pretty sure it would blow away your scoob, oh and ur VR6 golf
Old 07 August 2003, 10:27 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boro my milk float has two jet engines, fancy a race LOL
Treacle
Old 07 August 2003, 10:34 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

hey Boro and Treacle, just whip yer ***** out and compare - whoever has the smallest one has the fastest car! Goes without saying. No need for dangerous road racing either
Old 07 August 2003, 11:42 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Smile

I don't have *** being a girl so I don't quite get your point.

As for dangerous road racing I'm sure you never do it.
Old 07 August 2003, 12:04 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Is it just golfs?

I get the full house, golfs, novas, corsas, saxos!! Beat them when I can be arsed. A modded golf though with an engine transplant is bound to be faster too, bhp v weight???

Bring them out into the sticks and then see whether they want a race
Old 07 August 2003, 12:36 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

Nacro, I wasn't talking to you directly but thanks for listening

My point is that a vast majority of the 'I can't believe this car raced me' and the 'I wasted that car' posts are that made by blokes. Its natural, machismo stuff in most cases which in my mind is a bit pathetic really. I'm sure everybody boots it off the lights. I do when I want to enjoy the clear road ahead, not for a reason to post on a BBS how quick my car is. And certainly not for racing purposes. If some **** wants a go let him go, I'm not turning my AC off for nobody at the mo

However when I was young and immature I regulerly raced people off the lights. My mums 1.1 popular plus was the quickest thing off the lights to 5mph, I'd proved my point by then so backed off - speedings not big and not clever kids.
Old 07 August 2003, 12:55 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

Agreed but sadly racing Corsas and Golfs on the public roads is what a lot of Scooby drivers like to do...because it's the only cars they can actually beat.

Put a Scoob against a proper car like an R32 Golf, or even a Sierra Cossie on a proper track and it will be bye bye Scoobypoo
Old 07 August 2003, 01:03 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

There were a few posts a while back on how people respond to the traffic light grand prix. My fave was the Scoob owner who had some twonk revving up alongside him to the right.

Scoob revs it up, lights change and then proceeds to turn left at a sedate pace as the other car tears off on his own looking like a right dork.

Try it next time. You'll feel dead grown up and everything

Old 07 August 2003, 01:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Put a Scoob against a proper car like an R32 Golf"

I don't know if you have difficulty reading but I have already handed one of these their *** on a plate. It would be interesting to see what they are like in a straight line from rest. I imagine it would be bye bye golf all over again.

Old 07 August 2003, 01:11 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

LOL @ turboteeth.

Classic Scoob R32

0 to 60 5.2 6.5

0 to 100 14.7 16.5

As standard

In everything except top speed my old MY99 standard UK "scoobypoo" would not have an issue with an R32.

D
Old 07 August 2003, 01:41 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Wink

<whisper>
Just don't mention the MY01 onwards
Old 07 August 2003, 02:06 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So are you honestly saying my MY95 Scoobypoo WRX (import) would be quicker than a Golf R32. I don't think so, despite what it says on paper.

Subaru's have had their day, sorry, but that's just the way it is

Old 07 August 2003, 03:13 PM
golfliam
Scooby Regular

Cool

Most GTI'S around are chipped - 190 - 240 bhp, 200 - 250 lbs or torque...why wouldn't it stand a chance

then there are a few with well over 300 bhp :-) :-)

Didn't somebody just say an RS focus would stay with and evo 8 upto 80 mph with 212 bhp.....mmmmmmm not sure about that but i find it a bit strange that if a somebody with a GTI had said the same he would have been jumped all over....
There are loads of MKIVS around with similar BHP figs

Old 07 August 2003, 03:15 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Quote: "Subaru's have had their day"

You have a point there, mine had its day when the owner of a brand spanking new R32 realised that his Golf wasn't the fastest thing on the road. He did not look happy- then again I guess I wouldn't if my new toy had its *** kicked by an elderly 2 ltr japanese estate car.

The figures prove my point just as much as my practical experience. The Golf R32 is a lovely looking car but I'm afraid that they are slower than an old Subaru.
Old 07 August 2003, 03:42 PM
dilbert02
Scooby Newbie

Sprinter vans are very very quick. Surely what it comes down to in the end is how a car/van is driven. I've had people over taking me on blind bends at ridiculous speed, I'd never do that. Want to die an old age rather than in a fireball.

So maybe the R32 wasn't as daring as you. People with death wishes are usually very fast, but then you find them on front pages of local newspapers when they meet a tractor on a country lane.
Old 07 August 2003, 10:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broon, dont rise to it if you are so above it all and superior in your wagon, maybe some owners of lesser cars like to see how much quicker the legendary Scooby-do is in comparison to their motor ?

Are we meant to stop and do a Waynes World style 'Were not worthy'

Dont get your head so far up your bottom that you cant see what's happening, if it offends you let them go with a tut, I know a Scoob is quicker than my old MK2 but I do like having a go because a standard one has to try fairly hard to leave it, its not like they just use 3000 revs and yawn as they cream past, you need to hammer it to show the big advantage. Remember there is always something bigger and better and a wagon isnt exactly big news these days, In fact a nicely done mk2 Golf GTI gets more attention these days.

Old 07 August 2003, 11:35 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

I can imagine a classic scoob would have no probs with at standard GTi, bit pit it against a GTI turbo (red I) and it could be more interesting - I suppose its when you are inline, speedwise, and then nail it...

Having said that my mate with a GTI turbo my my99 uk scoob felt much faster when I took him for a spin...
Old 08 August 2003, 12:13 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

This late evening I spotted a few young gents looking at my 270bhp bugeyed WRX as I pulled out of petrol station, they were in front of me in a oldish shape GTI, I got to a nice long stretch of road (private of course) and thought I'd demonstare how quick my Impreza is, I had my foot full down and burnt through the gears very quickly, glanced in the mirror and they were pinned to my rear, Then the worse expected happend, they over took me and there was nothing I could do about it..

I did however follow for 10 minutes because I had to know what they had behind the bonnet, Eventually they pulled in and I wound down the window, It seems they thought I was the plod when I pulled up beside them which was quite amusing, It turned out they had a TT engine tuned to 240bhp. I'm not sure how much my impreza is pushing out per ton, probably around 170 but the GTI must of been pushing out much more per ton, It simple had alot more power , especially mid range.

credit goes to the driver who certainly deserves the wolf in sheep clothing award. But now I want more power and probably will end up getting a divorce :/

Maddy

Old 08 August 2003, 12:15 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I remember seeing a mk4 GTi turbo at well lane, all 330bhp's worth (it was a jabba sport conversion).
Just ashame it smoked more than a chain smoker did!

Tony
Old 08 August 2003, 03:23 PM
golfliam
Scooby Regular

Be intested to know who's mk4 that is if its a Jabbasport car
If it was their own car it has 408 bhp not 330...

Mine is the only Golf mk4 around with the Production Jabba Kit on it. 321 bhp at the moment - when finished it will be 360 bhp
Old 08 August 2003, 04:56 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Talking

My humble and old mk2 is putting out over 250 horse (215@wheels) and near 250lbft and weighs f*ck all..So i would think most scoobies owners will be surprised how quick some mk2's can be
Old 08 August 2003, 05:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

"My humble and old mk2 is putting out over 250 horse (215@wheels) and near 250lbft"

!!!!!!!

I still have my MK2 GTi and it has problems with traction just with the standard engine. How the hell do you manage to get the power down? That thing must fly when it's rolling.
Old 08 August 2003, 05:29 PM
JIMBO STI
Scooby Regular

i used to have them try and take me on in my 03 ctr and used to blow them away and as for R32 how can that keep up with a sti 8 last year on the way to trax me and my mates mostly evo's destroyed them. did not see r32 or golf gti high up on top gears board this year !!!!!
Old 08 August 2003, 05:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Liam,
ive got a picture of it somewhere (its blue i think), i was at well lane when this car ran and it produced 330bhp (and lots of blue smoke).
The fastest golf of the day was over 380bhp, i think this was a g60 but cant remember that far back.

Tony
Old 08 August 2003, 08:37 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Traction whats that???

Seriously,i can turn the boost (7psi) down in first and wheelspin is manageable if i don't slam the throttle,once in second it switches to 10psi and all i do is hold on!

[Edited by planky - 8/8/2003 8:44:20 PM]

Quick Reply: Golf GTI's ??????