Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Help - Bad Renault experience

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 11:43 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right chaps please help ! 2 essays !

I sold the Scooby for a Clio Cup, bought the Clio privately for a good price. Six weeks ago the gearbox siezed and I called the Renault AA service. The AA turned up and said they would recover the car on a low loader. Later that night my car is driven past me with two AA guys ! To cut a long story short an alloy wheel was kerbed, I made a claim with the AA and put in a complaint as to why was car was driven. My claim was turned down as the report from the AA man claimed he didnt hit a kerb. This is rubbish as torque steer will pull you hard to the kerb under harsh throttle. Guess I need legal advice on this one now.

A new gearbox was installed by the dealer (1 weeks work) I collected the car and found 15 things wrong, including a nasty knocking and lots of broken bits in the engine.
I took the car straight back with my list of the faults, at the same time I wrote to Renault UK and the dealer principal. Renault UK were helpful but I had to write again to the dealer to get a crap response. At the time the dealer admitted the job was very shoddy and they were embarrassed (verbal). I collected the car a week later and found 8 faults including scratches on the roof ! and vibrations under full throttle and a badly fitted bumper that had not been lined up.
I went back and spoke to the service manager who asked me to bring the car back, he even told me that most mass produced cars have faults ! I replied that these were all faults you have caused.
I have been this morning collect the car and straight away notice the bumper is not aligned. I was then told this is the best it will be. I refused to collect the car and said I will be keeping their courtesy car until the wing is aligned properly. I also said I will be taking this further as its now a joke, the dealership have had my car for 3 weeks now.
Renault UK cant help as its a franchised dealership. I have asked for compensation and the delaership just treat it like they are doing me a favour. This morning I was treated like I am a nusiance rather than customer. What rights do I have ? I have called Trading Standards who have logged it but cant do anything. Subaru dealers are superb compared to Renaults ! But I do love the Cup and its saving me so much cash compared to the Scoob.

Thanks
Jason
Old 21 July 2003, 11:48 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear of your trouble with the renault but as the dealer said they all have faults.
i hate renaults worst of all french cars go good when they go just dont go for long!
Old 21 July 2003, 12:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

This is why I will NEVER own another Renault, the cars are shoddy, the dealers are useless and Renault UK almost criminal in their lack of interest, all in my opinion, of course.
Old 21 July 2003, 12:26 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I wish you luck, I have had a terrible experience with Toyota over a new car and was told to either sue them or sod off. As this was not a small claims court issue it would have cost at least £5000 in legal fees although a victory would have seen this passed on it was not worth the risk.

Good Luck
Old 22 July 2003, 01:21 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Jason, which dealer was this?
Not sure if you'd prefer to email me the dealer name if you'd rather keep it off forum, its just im selling my RX7, and have bought a Cup to replace it (new, showroom model, but only been in showroom a week).
Ive got mine from Davis Renault Sevenoaks, and they do seem pretty good.

What do you recon to the Cup then?
Old 22 July 2003, 01:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Renault.... are still making cars???? waste of metal
Old 22 July 2003, 01:38 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Luke, I'm not sure it qualifies as metal, I think they use the flashings from Majorette models to stamp body panels out of.
Old 22 July 2003, 02:11 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, but its one sound argument for the CTR and against the clio...

D
Old 22 July 2003, 02:17 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Bob - Whitehouse in Tonbridge.

Will be going to Davis from now on.

Superb car, love driving it. My Scoob was too good and hence no fun, this is a hoologan car that gives me 35mpg. You will love it, very addictable.
Yes you will have problems, but the 3yr warranty will sort it and you will loose far less depriciation than most cars.
At Bedford a few weeks ago only the Radicals were overtaking me, very composed and predictable with little to no lift off oversteer unlike the Scoob. Would benefit from stiffer springs and slicks for more track work. On the back straight I came side by side with a Carrera S and we were identical in straight line speed. It impressed me and a few others !

Im in Tonbridge, your welcome to have a drive of mine anytime.

Regards
Jason
Old 22 July 2003, 02:19 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Diablo - True

Guess you pays your money and the CTR was 4k more.

J.
Old 22 July 2003, 02:25 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Fair point mate.

Old 22 July 2003, 02:40 PM
DAC
Scooby Regular

go and sit in the showroom, relatively smartly dressed - on a busy day (friday/saturday AM)

and tell potential customers 'I wouldn't buy here - crap service etc.'

park your car/courtesy car off their premises (public approach road to garage) - with big sign 'DO NOT BUY HERE ....ETC'

refuse to leave - even if threatened with police (take local newspaper number - and ring them to invite them down at same time)wait until they acknowledge their faults and agree in writing to rectify them.

ALL retail outlets hate a fuss in front of customers

make a nuisance of yourself - They will rectify your problems with pleasure.

it does work - I've seen it done.
Old 22 July 2003, 02:45 PM
LanciaChris
Scooby Regular

Youre on the right track with refusing to accept the car back. Dont take it back till theyve put it all right and accepted responsibility. and the service manager has shined your shoes.
Old 22 July 2003, 02:57 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jason, hope you get yours sorted.

Cant imagine Renault are much worse than most mainstream manufacturers, and the car felt okay to me on the test drive, reaosnably well put together.

Still, got to be cheaper than the rex!!
Old 22 July 2003, 03:15 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Right the dealer has now sorted the bumper and I have the car back. This was after telling me its as good as its gonna get !! At that I flipped and promised the car would be parked outside the dealership with a list of the faults they have caused for all potential customers to see ! It worked a treat. Still no apology or compensation.

Just rung another dealer for a p/x against a new one.

Looking like 11k and 12.8k for a new one with climate and 8k less miles, seems like a good idea.

J.
Old 22 July 2003, 05:27 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

sucks mate, sounds liek a crap dealer tbh

I know french cars arent the best built things (altho mine is fine) but who made the comment "renault, are they still making cars"

dont they own nissan? I seem to recall they do ok in F1 as well.

All makes are going to have a few problems, but that dealer sounds a bloody knightmare!

Old 22 July 2003, 06:49 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Jason, the sevenoaks lot seem okay, might be worth contacting them, means theyre local still too.

Car dealers are a nightmare, nice little car though, and im impressed by its track abilities, sounds like it went pretty well.

[Edited by SideShowBob - 7/22/2003 6:49:58 PM]