Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Damn Mondeo Man

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2003, 04:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Here I was mindig my own business driving my Dad's BMW 325 Touring when I get to a set of red lights, 2 lanes go into 1 after the light. 3 cars in left lane 0 in right lane. I take the obvious route

Mondeo 2.0 in left lane at the front. I thought I'd give it about 3/4 throttle on the green just to make sure I get infront and don't cut him up if he's sharp offthe lights.

He does'nt like this and decides to boot it. And stays along side me.

This is where I realise that 325's with auto boxes not in "sports" mode can be an ****. And slurring away in 3rd or 4th when it should be in 1st or 2nd.

Anyhoo I boot it (red mist + used to scooby "off we go" acceleration). kickdown to 1st and I get past him just as it goes back into one lane.

He hates this even more and stays up my ****, even when there's traffic infront of me. A few well timed approaces to Islands meant he had to give way and whilst I did'nt

That really peeved him off. So he made gallant efforts to catch me up (And I was'nt really motoring - legal 60mph etc.) Until he got stuck behind someone on the last island

What is the point and why? He could'nt go any faster due to traffic infront.

Oh hang on, just realised.....I was driving a BMW

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/6/2003 4:40:04 PM]
Old 06 July 2003, 05:16 PM
Anonymous bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny that... Its normally the beemer owners who feel they should be out in front....
Old 06 July 2003, 05:28 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

I always put my foot down to stop idiots (not saying you're an idiot...that is only a probability ) from pushing in. Why should you get to go infront of me?

Difference between Mondeo man and me though, is that I'd of been infront of you

Mind you, I tend to push in where I can on my daily commute, 'coz I'm usually running late. I know that's a crap excuse, but.. at least it is an excuse And I make sure I give it enough welly not to cut anyone up whether I think they're going to try and stop me from pushing in or not.

Rich

PS - I have a Saxo VTS, not a Scooby, by the way.
Old 06 July 2003, 05:49 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

.....but Ali-B wasn't "pushing in" if his version is correct, merely doing an entirely legitimate driving manoeuvre.
Old 06 July 2003, 06:37 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

Two lanes go into one, thus losing the right hand lane. Ali goes into right hand lane, because there were three cars in left hand. Ali ends up in left hand lane, 'coz right hand lane is lost. So he pushed in.

I was only being cheeky in my first post, but I do not let people infront of me in cases like that if I can help it (not by being dangerous though).

Rich
Old 07 July 2003, 10:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I see the point.

Its the old spit out the dummy and shout "I wanna be in front" routine. And I don't think anyone is immune to it (and yes it includes me ).

But when someone deliberately drives along side you - when your making progress yourself. Anyhoo through all this I was a bonnet length ahead, until I was forced to use the kickdown. I was hardly going to slam on the brakes and risk cutting up the car behind the Mondeo or risk the car behind me slamming into the back.

This was'nt rush hour traffic. Just a Saturday afternoon. And my reasoning for using the right lane....It's There!! I did a slow approach in hope the lights changed before I stopped.

Personally my rule of logic (unless it's a REAL traffic light race or some wide-boy Nova needs teaching that turds are'nt fast ) is if I'm in the left lane, I let one car to the right infront.

But I won't let anymore than one push in Especially in rush hour traffic.
Old 07 July 2003, 10:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Btw Bob

I'm scooby owner

I borrowed the beamer - It's an estate so I can use it as a mobile skip
Old 07 July 2003, 10:42 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've been considering a BMW M Coupe but the attitude and flak I'll get is starting to put me off the idea.
Who needs it?
Old 07 July 2003, 10:48 AM
Andrewj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Rich & Mini,

I don't think that he did push in exactly. If the road starts with two lanes and narrows down to one, then you must be expected to use two initially. As someone else said, it's a legitimate move.

If the powers that be don't want that to happen, they shouldn't provide two lanes. If everyone stays in the left lane like you, then the queue will be twice as long as otherwise, leading to even more congestion. If people are polite and considerate, then using both lanes works just fine.

AJ
Old 07 July 2003, 10:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

It's not that bad andrewdelvard

Just avoid mondeo man and don't expect to be let out of busy junctions

I buy cars because the way they drive (and cost ) Not beacuse of someone elses opinion.

[Edited by ALi-B - 7/7/2003 10:51:04 AM]
Old 07 July 2003, 11:06 AM
M3 Evo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dont worry andrewdelvard,

Used to have an Mcoupe and never experienced any "BMW driver" syndrome with it. Seems the Mcoupe looks so different people are more curious about it and take their mind off the syndrome.

To be honest never experienced any real stigmatism with any of my BMWs, perhaps it just a southern thing?
Old 07 July 2003, 11:16 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Driving a 330iSE at the moment, when I overtake in this I generally get people giving me swearing gestures whereas in the Skyline they'd usually be much more positive! It doesn't make for pleasant motoring and people are much less keen to let you in

Still I'm not that impressed with the 330 as a drivers car, but its ok as a (not too) uncomfy cruiser.

[Edited by polarbearit - 7/7/2003 11:16:28 AM]
Old 07 July 2003, 06:48 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

Andrewj, so you let people push in at the last moment when, say, you lose the right hand lane on motorways? You know what I mean, you're sitting there patiently in the left hand lane, because it's been blatantly obvious for about 2 miles that the right hand lane is going to be shut. Some morons push in right at the cones when the lane closes. But that's ok, as it eases congestion, and the people in power did it, so it must be right Helps road rage too, so I've heard

Rich