Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Has anyone driven a TVR Cerbera ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 06:33 PM
mnangrybeats
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owned a Cerbera for a year...

Twitchy under braking, fast as **** on the straights, fairly crude on the twisty stuff, lovely interior and driving position...

0-100 in 9 secs so quite a bit faster than a Scooby, the 4.5 can get to 150mph in 17 secs btw..

An absolute nightmare to own, I did lots of searching before I thought I got a good one..

Too many faults to mention here honestly, took 17 weeks for the factory to rebuild the AJP8 engine when it went bang, got it back only for it to break down 12 miles down the road...

Poor dealers and factory IMO..even wrote to Peter Wheeler in person twice without reply..

Takes a few of weeks to get used to the car, still doesnt inspire confidence IMO, I'm faster down a favorite B road in my MINI...

Make sure you get a good one..it's trying to find a good one which is the problem.

[Edited by mnangrybeats - 7/2/2003 6:35:15 PM]
Old 02 July 2003, 11:16 AM
durleydude
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats it like compared to a scoob ?

Wernt the older ones unreliable?
Old 02 July 2003, 11:25 AM
durleydude
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

anybody ?
Old 02 July 2003, 11:32 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Cool

Totally totally totally different to a scoob.

So different that it would take ages to go through all the reasons why its so different!

Go to www.pistonheads.com as there is a Cerbera forum and you should get all the answers you want from there.

I'm sure you'd enjoy the drive tho.... brutal cars!!

Ben
Old 02 July 2003, 11:32 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

TVR = unreliable full stop.

Each new model they make, they always say the "new" ones are better

They never are

I haven't driven any of the real new stuff since I sold my griff a while ago. Maybe the "new" ones really are more reliable.

Still a highly tuned handbuilt sports car though!

Paul
Old 02 July 2003, 11:47 AM
durleydude
Scooby Regular

I will check the pistonheads forum thanks Gussie Cup

Medders: I am concerned about reliability issues too, hopefully pistonheads forum may help clear this up.

Old 02 July 2003, 11:54 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The reliability issues are usually to do with components not manufactured by TVR but used to keep costs down. That or the electrics!

If you're getting a car thats 2 - 3 years old, most of the problems will have been rectified by earlier owners either under warrenty or at the owners expense.

The costs mount up though if you buy one either needing work or one thats hardly been driven as you will probably end up going through the procedure of fortnightly or monthly visits to the dealer who gradually sort out the niggles.

Very rewarding if you buy one thats already had a lot of work done and is nicely run in already

But I agree as in a post above - handbuilt high performance car - will never give you quite the reliability of a mass produced extensively tested car like a Scoob.

Ben
Old 02 July 2003, 12:01 PM
durleydude
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks m8, very interesting.
Old 02 July 2003, 12:24 PM
markys
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just so happens that I should be picking up my new 4.2 this weekend.
Totally diffrent to a scoob, cant compare but to sum up, very heavy clutch, heavy stearing has PAS, bad visability, will breakdown, will cost around £3000 to maintain plus insurance and fuel. But what a car, poping and banging down the road even better with a sports exhaust.
Old 02 July 2003, 12:28 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Medder you have a real downer on TVR's and i think its slightly un-fair. I had mine for 7 years and it only let me down once. There are good and bad ones out there I have to admit. They are not however everyday cars. I would not drive one daily to work etc. Not only would I be very tired but they are no fun in the wet, cold etc etc.

As for the question on the Cerbera it is an animal and no mistaking. I have driven and been driven in one on the road and the track. The feeling of coming to a corner at breakneck speed before the driver stood on everything and slipped round the first bend will never leave me.

Everyone should own one at least once I think. But just to keep things nice and safe have a doggie mondeo for the winter as well.
Old 02 July 2003, 12:45 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Was taken out for a spin in a Tuscan S by the local TVR salesman, who had himself just sold his personal car - a classic Turbo Scooby. He said that the TVR is an animal, and you really have to be careful driving it, as they are very tail-happy.

This thing had awesome performance - he caned it from a standstill to over 130 up a road near the dealers, and it was mindblowing. No lag. No suspension either! Just explosive performance.

I liked the interior too - looked "designed" unlike my plastic-Scooby. Very different to other performance cars' interiors.

I'd love one, and could afford one too (just)... much like a motorbike... but I know I haven't the driving skill or sense to own one without being a danger to myself.

Old 02 July 2003, 01:01 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Hi TVR Gary - I do have a downer on TVR's I'm afraid. Mine was a constant pain in the *** I know of several other people whove had endless problems as well. I know of one other person other than yourself who's had no problems (or few) and he never drives his much.

i know they're a sports car , but In my mind I want to drive a £30k car every day. Saying that they are really good but only if you dont drive it much to me doesn't make sense

I dont think you can deny that they are generally considered unreliable when compared to mass produced cars......

I had some good times in my griff, but at the end of the day it was off the road all the time and cost me an arm and a leg to repair.......why wouldn't I have a downer on TVR. Plus we've got you to put the other side across (and I'm not going to pull you up for having a real upper on TVR's )

Paul
Old 02 July 2003, 02:17 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

All fair comments medders.

I would never have bought a TVR to drive everyday to work etc. It is just not that sort of car. If I were replacing an everyday car and needed another one it wouldnt be a TVR. However if you have the spare cash sat around to have both an everyday hack and a weekend fun thing then the tivvy is the tool for the job. I would never have sold mine other than i had my heart set on a new STI and couldnt justify one with keeping tivvy as well.

Lets be honest though the feeling of getting tivvy out of the garage and taking her up the road cannot be beaten. The noise the people pointing the rush as you hit the loud pedal ..... I could go on .....haha

Old 02 July 2003, 02:45 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

i fully agree with what you say Gary. If my griff had been my second car, I'm sure my enjoyment would have been far greater. They are a wonderful experience when they are working. And that sound.......maybe I could try one more
Old 02 July 2003, 02:59 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

I've driven one, personally I loved it. Fantastic noise, interior in 95 model was a bit dated, loads of torque low down, comfortable (Im 6 5") and good pose value. It drove a LOT better than I expected felt very together. I would definately buy one as a second car. Unfortunately the guy who owned it had an argument with a stone wall during a hillclimb....
Old 02 July 2003, 03:52 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Owned a few.... now on a Griff 500........

Never touched the new S6 engines yet, having too much fun with the old school V8..

As mentioned www.pistonheads.com is the place to go first then down to your local TVRCC meet to get both sides of the story..

J